***OFFICIAL wisconsin AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Seeing where we were in year 8 and other years, and how poor a coach he turned out to be, I could make the argument that they won the NIT in spite of him. I still think what has been seen so far puts Ben ahead of him down the road. It’s still to be seen if it works out that way though. Recruiting locally already appears to be in a better place. Still have to build a team, including players from elsewhere, because I don’t think you can win consistently with just the local recruits.

Good post. I think it's hard to say whether the Gophers won the NIT in 2014 because of, or in spite of, Pitino. Even without considering actual coaching, he does deserve some credit for recruiting Mathieu, getting Walker in playing shape, and getting some helpful supporting players (Joey King, Malik Smith) that year. He might have grown as a coach during his time here but the results didn't reflect that so much as the overall record for his last 4 years was worse than the record of his first 4 years.

As far as recruiting more locally, Johnson already has begun what he needs to do. It sounds so extremely obvious but if you want to start recruiting more players from a particular area, you simply have to start recruiting more players from that area even if they aren't so highly coveted. Case in point: Penn State. Before the former coach, Patrick Chambers, PSU was never a destination for Philadelphia area players. Chambers began by recruiting transfers who were Philly prep players, then he proceeded to recruiting Philly area freshmen who were decent but not very highly rated. Finally, in his 6th year, he landed three 4-star freshmen from the Philadelphia area. Ben should have an easier job getting MN preps to come to the U than Chambers had of establishing PSU as a destination for Philly players but it starts with regularly and continuously getting at least a couple of players from the state each year and sometimes getting more.

Good post. I think it's hard to say whether the Gophers won the NIT in 2014 because of, or in spite of, Pitino. Even without considering actual coaching, he does deserve some credit for recruiting Mathieu, getting Walker in playing shape, and getting some helpful supporting players (Joey King, Malik Smith) that year. He might have grown as a coach during his time here but the results didn't reflect that so much as the overall record for his last 4 years was worse than the record of his first 4 years.

As far as recruiting more locally, Johnson already has begun what he needs to do. It sounds so extremely obvious but if you want to start recruiting more players from a particular area, you simply have to start recruiting more players from that area even if they aren't so highly coveted. Case in point: Penn State. Before the former coach, Patrick Chambers, PSU was never a destination for Philadelphia area players. Chambers began by recruiting transfers who were Philly prep players, then he proceeded to recruiting Philly area freshmen who were decent but not very highly rated. Finally, in his 6th year, he landed three 4-star freshmen from the Philadelphia area. Ben should have an easier job getting MN preps to come to the U than Chambers had of establishing PSU as a destination for Philly players but it starts with regularly and continuously getting at least a couple of players from the state each year and sometimes getting more.
Good post. Per Ben recruiting locally, like you said Ben has started recruiting what he needs locally. This incoming class will be a very good class for the next 4-5 years. The PSU comparison and also the earlier Clem comparison of basically get a good group of freshmen when they are juniors and seniors will be very good.

Top Bottom