Official: U2 to rock Gophers Football Stadium on June 27th

Reaction score

I need this bumped whenever the emails go out. My father-n-law holds our tickets right now since we merged all our seats to get them together for the new stadium. I can't wait to pull out my old Achtung Baby! concert shirt -- if anyone believes I can still fit into it. :p.

U2

Would anyone happen to know who the warm-up band may be?
Or I should have asked if they are even having a warm-up band?

Back in the early eighties U2 played at First Avenue when they were not famous yet. I saw Bono sitting at one of the bars after their gig and bought him a "good luck beer" for the future. We talked for awhile, saying they were from Ireland and hope to become "famous" someday. He even bought me a Miller Light and wished me luck as well , also for supporting their new band.

My oh my, did they get lucky!!:rockon:
Will always love that band.

Go Gophers!!!

This is going to be epic. There is no one more suitable for the inaugural concert for TCF than U2!

I saw them at Target Center about 15 years ago.
Let's hope this concert lasts a little longer than the one hour set they played that night.
The price, I'm sure, will be ridiculous.
I predict only about 60% of the students who buy tickets show up, and there will be complaints about people standing.

So...these are the benefits of having season tickets??? Finally, they appreciate their season ticket holders!

I'm super pumped - they were my 2nd concert I ever saw at Camp Randall on their Zoo TV tour, and the best concert I've ever seen. Saw them at the Dome too - but it wasn't so great.

As for their opening act, I found this:
The band will also be taking along some top talent to serve as their opening act, with the Black Eyed Peas, Snow Patrol, the Mercury Prize-winning Elbow, Kaiser Chiefs and Glasvegas all set to join U2 at certain points throughout their travels, with additional artists to be announced as the tour dates keep pouring in.

anyone actually seen a presale code yet? They put out a press release with how the students are to use the presale, but noone other then the star trib earlier today has been reporting anything about season ticket holders getting presale access....and I haven;t heard anyone say anything about having a code either....wonder if we aren;t gonna get screwed in this....

Does anyone have any thoughts about where to select seats? I know some of the sections were having sound problems during the games--maybe want to stay away from those areas.

Pretty sure they'll be bringing their own sound system.

No booze to be sold per Darcy on Channel 4. All of that would've gone directly to the athletic department since U2 doesn't get a share of concessions at their shows.

No booze to be sold per Darcy on Channel 4. All of that would've gone directly to the athletic department since U2 doesn't get a share of concessions at their shows.

all thanks to the mn state legislature. i don't put any of the "no booze" side-show on the u. they were forced into making all of their on-campus stadiums entirely dry by a bunch of clueless and pandering mn lawmakers.

also love how wcco and darcy pohland completely fail to explain why there are no alcohol sales allowed in the u of m stadiums now (i.e. it was a decision they were forced into by the state legislature). this piece makes it sound as if it the no alcohol policy was something the u of m just decided to do entirely on their own as if they weren't backed into a corner to go completely against the precedent established by the rest of the big ten and 99% of other universities around the country. top-notch reporting wcco and darcy pohland (please!)

on a side note: the live nation vp in charge of the midwest said no booze at college stadium shows is not unique to the minnesota campus and won't be an issue for them or the band.

Has anyone been to a show at Northrup lately? I know they sold beer there the last time I was there.

I got my email today. Any word on pricing, or will we not know until we go there tomorrow at noon?

I got my email today. Any word on pricing, or will we not know until we go there tomorrow at noon?

A small number will sell for $250 -- the price to essentially get inside the tour's mothership -- with the rest going for $95, $55 and $30, plus fees. The band has pledged that at least 10,000 tickets in each city on its tour will be available at the lowest price.

This is all in the Mpls Star Tribune article (hyperlink above in the OP)

A small number will sell for $250 -- the price to essentially get inside the tour's mothership -- with the rest going for $95, $55 and $30, plus fees. The band has pledged that at least 10,000 tickets in each city on its tour will be available at the lowest price.

This is all in the Mpls Star Tribune article (hyperlink above in the OP)

Great thanks!! I'm going to try and get 4, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

I see someone mentioned they got an email about U2 concert. I am a football season ticket and did not get one. I logged on and verified my email and also checked my spam.

Can someone tell me what the email stated?

The people around the stadium better move. It might be loud that night.

When do they go on sale?

I think U2 sucks now. But it would be fun having a few beers in the Bank in June.

I see someone mentioned they got an email about U2 concert. I am a football season ticket and did not get one. I logged on and verified my email and also checked my spam.

Can someone tell me what the email stated?

It gave you the details of the presale including a password for the website. If you call 1-800-U-GOPHER they can resend (or perhaps in your case, send) you a copy. That's what my group had to do after I accidentally deleted mine.

When do they go on sale?

I think U2 sucks now. But it would be fun having a few beers in the Bank in June.

Not possible unless the legislature changes their tune. Apparently the beer ban will apply to the U2 concert as well (per the STrib story).

Per the email, presale begins today at noon CST.

I just can't resist. The Governor and State Legislature are on record for wanting beer for everybody at The Brickhouse. It was President Bruininks and the Board of Governors who made the financially irresponsible decision to ban beer. Gopher fans will be paying for that decision until they finally come to their senses. Have at it guys.

Not possible unless the legislature changes their tune. Apparently the beer ban will apply to the U2 concert as well (per the STrib story).

Actually, that is not true. The U can sell beer at the stadium for anything they want (including football games). Remember, the lawmakers passed the law saying they could sell all the alcohol they wanted at the stadium, they just have to make it available to everyone (not just suite holders).

So, the U absolutely could sell beer for this concert if they chose to, as long as they sold it to everyone (which is what we're talking about). No need to change any law at all. The U, however, is holding steady with the fact they don't want to sell beer to the general public at events there. Especially when they think there will be 15,000+ students at the concert.

I'm no mod, but please take the booze discussion somewhere else so that the rest of us can talk concert.

The booze issue for this concert is entirely an athletic department decision. Maturi said so last night to Darcy....wanted to remain consistent. Hundreds of thousands in revenue be damned.

The U walked tall and told today's flavor of the day legislators that they can stuff a sock i it. I applaud the U.

Top Bottom