***OFFICIAL TEXAS ARLINGTON AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

As it turned out it was a Double feature tonight....entertained by the Gophers and entertained by the announcers!

So what does everyone think about this team after tonight. Did if move the needle in either direction for you?

Really like the balance of this team. Not relying on one or two guys. This is the type of team we probably lose to last season. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Underrated aspect of the second half was UTA's inability to keep the Gophers off of the offensive glass. Not sure the stats will tell this entire story because a number of UTA's fouls were preventing Curry/Murphy/Lynch from corralling an offensive board.

I was pretty impressed with UTA overall as they look to have the athleticism of a high major team. Overall, I think this is a pretty solid win for the Gophers even if there are some things to be concerned about (perimeter shooting, how do they score in the half court?) long term.

So what does everyone think about this team after tonight. Did if move the needle in either direction for you?

Hard to tell if our defense in the second half was that good (we switched all screens other than Lynch and UTA had no answer) or did they just have an off night. Will be interesting to see if UTA is as good as we were told they are or not.

I like the potential of this team to beat anyone on a night we are shooting well, but will lose some ugly games when the shots not falling and we don't get calls....

Best part of the season, Murphy hasn't even looked half into a game offensively yet, nor has Springs....

If UT Arlington is as good as advertised, this was impressive. Coffee, Curry and Lynch were all impressive. Mason, McBreyer, Murphy were just OK. Gilbert had his moments. Springs is Malik Smith II. Notable that Hurt and Konate did not play at all. And is Diedhou even on the team?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I really like this team but I think shooting is going to be an issue.

If UT Arlington is as good as advertised, this was impressive. Coffee, Curry and Lynch were all impressive. Mason, McBreyer, Murphy were just OK. Notable that Hurt and Konate did not play at all. And is Diedhou even on the team?

He came in at the end.

It all depends on whether the hype about UT-Arlington is accurate. If so, you have to be impressed with the possibility that the Gophers will be much more competitive this season.
Let's talk after the St Johns game.

Gotta love Gilbert coming in and having big minutes!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm pretty excited. Ut-Arlington is a solid squad. To outplay them in the second half like we did says a lot about this team especially shooting as poorly as we did. It's evident we are much improved rebounding and have solid depth at all positions. I think we need to utilize Murphy, Lynch and Curry more on the block and shoot 10-12 3s a game vs. 20+.

Cautiously optimistic.

We've got some length and speed out there. Anyone miss Joey King yet?

(That was a low-blow. He was solid and a great all-time gritty Gopher)

I'm pretty excited. Ut-Arlington is a solid squad. To outplay them in the second half like we did says a lot about this team especially shooting as poorly as we did. It's evident we are much improved rebounding and have solid depth at all positions. I think we need to utilize Murphy, Lynch and Curry more on the block and shoot 10-12 3s a game vs. 20+.
Springs brother should be happy, Springs minutes and scoring were right up there.

Cautiously optimistic.

It was, he was a class act that shined to the maximum of his ability.

Great win!

I'm guessing BK and Hurt will play big minutes next game to give some guys a rest against a team that isn't very good.

I really like the depth of the team. Unlike past years, I'm never nervous to see a guy out on the court. We need to improve on shooting but everything else looks much better than last year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny that we like our depth best in a game we went essentially 7 deep. (8 if you wanna include Gilberts 5ish minutes)

Shorten the bench and the depth gets better?

There is something to be said about finally having 7 guys significantly better than the next 5, but I wouldn't call this team deep by any stretch of the imagination.

Cautiously optimistic.

It was tough circumstances for Joey. I think if Joey was on this team he would have really excelled as a spark plug off the bench.

Seems like we're just going with a 3 man rotation of Murphy, Lynch, and Coffey as our bigs.

By Coffey you mean Curry. I've been calling them by the wrong names too in the heat of the moment.

We could use Kevin Dorsey, Jarvis Johnson or DaQuein McNeil right about now.... One guard injury away from being awfully thin...

What an absolute grind. First half I was super nervous seeing how fast every UTA player was. We couldn't separate from our defenders to save our lives. It yielded frustration and bad shot decisions, but when we came out of half time it was unreal to see the team find leverage against their opponents. It came down in my mind by grinding the paint and winning on the boards. As soon as we started running away with the rebounds it seemed UTA made a lot of frustration fouls.

Really great to see.

Funny that we like our depth best in a game we went essentially 7 deep. (8 if you wanna include Gilberts 5ish minutes)

Shorten the bench and the depth gets better?

There is something to be said about finally having 7 guys significantly better than the next 5, but I wouldn't call this team deep by any stretch of the imagination.

No different than OSU in the BIG play(Edit: only 7 or at most 8 deep). I suspect this is closer to what to expect our rotation to look like during the BIG season with just a few minutes given to Hurt and Konate.

No different than OSU in the BIG play(Edit: only 7 or at most 8 deep). I suspect this is closer to what to expect our rotation to look like during the BIG season with just a few minutes given to Hurt and Konate.

Don't get me wrong. I like the move. Just funny people are commenting they like the depth and are comfortable with everyone that comes on the court. We are not deep. Need to stay away from fouls and cannot get hurt Gilbert seems to be the next guy to get minutes, hopefully he hurt and bk can provide minutes in a tough spot.

Top Bottom