***OFFICIAL RUTGERS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Fleck is an excellent coach and we're fortunate to have him. But the coaching job Ben has done his first three months greatly surpasses what PJ did his first season.
Absolutely. I was merely saying that if you use the mantra of "no excuses" then you can't say "it's their first year in a program, I expect some growing pains".

Just want to pop in and say, there’s obviously a ways to go here but let’s make sure Senior Night is a sell out and these kids get the proper send off they deserve. I’m finding a way to get to that one
Bought tickets for that game as a Christmas present for my wife and I. let’s go everyone, fill the barn!

No. 4 -- The Thompson who showed up last summer could not do what TT did today. The current version has not been sitting on the bench all season just waiting for Ben to figure out he could play and contribute. The coaches have been bringing him along every day in practice and mentally.

That is the process that brought TT to his two great performances in the past two games. We are seeing coaching at its best.
I agree that it hasn't been a static situation. However, even an earlier version of TT would have been more useful for a couple of minutes at a time than Ogele or even Daniels. It's a very thin roster.

Rewatching the game - with 45 seconds left CBJ has Gophers commit two fouls to bring them to 5 team fouls. I assume the purpose was to be within striking distance of 7 fouls in case Rutgers took the lead?

Just watched the game, WOW! Willis obviously stud, I just can't believe that a player that was so frustrating 2 years ago is now this guy! Loewe and Sutherlin, warrior performances. Thompson, says a lot the kid saw no time but put in work to improve and now I would say is a clear rotation piece. Daniels, I've said before he won't put him huge numbers but does his job. How again was he only playing 4 min a game for SFA?

A lot to like about Johnson obviously, one thing I will say is that he has taken a bit of the island of misfit toys and made us competitive. Hopefully can keep adding talent under the radar.

Lastly, I don't know if there is an award for assistant coach of the year but Thorson has to win that right?

I just want to point out that after the game yesterday I left gopher hole and went over to Twitter… I responded to one of Tony’s tweets adding in a morsel about Tre Demps wearing his fathers suit yesterday… the response was liked by only one person… Tre Demps! Wherever the season goes from here, big fan of Tre Demps and his tailor!

Ben's post game press conference today was his best press conference/interview. You could feel how proud he was of his team, how much he put into it, and he didn't speak in cliches.

The dude gets it. I never felt this way about Pitino but with Ben, if he sits in your living room and your a local kid and you decide you don't want to play for the Gophers, we never had a chance anyway.
Agree. He has a calm, focused way of communicating along with a quiet confidence. Kids are going to want to play for him. Connects with them much like Fleck, but with a completely different style.

Rewatching the game - with 45 seconds left CBJ has Gophers commit two fouls to bring them to 5 team fouls. I assume the purpose was to be within striking distance of 7 fouls in case Rutgers took the lead?
I think it was more so to slow down any quick bucket that Rutgers was going to try to get there and burn clock to make them reset.

It wasn't great execution from Sutherlin as I think only 2 seconds ran off the clock between the fouls there.

Combination of things. Get closer to 7 fouls in case they need to like you said. It also wasted time as Rutgers had to reset their offense each time. And then there’s always that small chance Sutherlin makes a great play and gets a clean steal.

I thought Thiam looked like his game is transforming a bit, got the ball picked one time but he was trying to get in the offensive flow of the game rather than the run and gun shoot first and look to pass second that he showed in the exhibition game. He's so quick that if his game comes around he can be productive next year.

How are you rewatching, btw?

nvm.. just needed to scroll a bit.

Rewatched the game yesterday as well. The thing that stood out to me the most was how hard some of the shots that Loewe hit were. For a guy who’s really struggled to score sometimes this year, he consistently went out and bailed us out when the shot clock was running down, hitting deep, contested shots when the other team knew he was going to shoot. Really really impressive. I don’t think it’s a real stat, but I bet he scored the most points per second left on the shot clock when he shot I’ve ever seen.

Rewatched the game yesterday as well. The thing that stood out to me the most was how hard some of the shots that Loewe hit were. For a guy who’s really struggled to score sometimes this year, he consistently went out and bailed us out when the shot clock was running down, hitting deep, contested shots when the other team knew he was going to shoot. Really really impressive. I don’t think it’s a real stat, but I bet he scored the most points per second left on the shot clock when he shot I’ve ever seen.
And all while fighting the flu as well. Loewe has had an up and down year so far but nice to see him have a really nice game under some tough conditions.

Imagine how good we can be down the stretch if Loewe can even be half the scorer he was in the Rutgers game. That would give us 5 solid scoring options (Battle, Willis, Curry and Stephens). Let's just hope that game gave Luke some confidence!

Some conference stats after 7 games

Gophers are last in rebounding, 29.6 a game, opponents average 38.1
2pt avg is .502 (7th) and opponent's avg is .543
3pt avg is .324 (11th) and opponent's is .364
FT% is .659 (14th) and opponent's is .743
10.9 assists per game (13th) and opponents 16.9
League best in turnovers averaging 8.0 vs opponent's 10.4

Some conference stats after 7 games

Gophers are last in rebounding, 29.6 a game, opponents average 38.1
2pt avg is .502 (7th) and opponent's avg is .543
3pt avg is .324 (11th) and opponent's is .364
FT% is .659 (14th) and opponent's is .743
10.9 assists per game (13th) and opponents 16.9
League best in turnovers averaging 8.0 vs opponent's 10.4
Makes the two victories and close games even more impressive. In the "enjoying the ride" mode as far as this season and it's been better than I imagined it would be. Lot different feeling than after the hire when you would go on GH and see another Gopher in the portal and not see anyone transferring in.

Top Bottom