6'4 200lbs guard
6'7 225lbs forward
6'4 185lbs guard
6'3 175lbs guard
6'5 200lbs guard
6'9 220lbs forward
6'11 190lbs center

We are skinnnnnny

Well, so were Richard Hamilton and Chris Boucher and they did just fine. The #1 prep player in the country this year is also extremely skinny but that didn't prevent top schools from flooding him with offers.

FWIW - Doogie was on with Mackey and Judd. He said the Gophers "hope* to add 2 or 3 more big men, but said one or two may not be announced until after Memorial Day. Also said Johnson's offense will not operate with a traditional point guard. And he noted that so far, every new player is 6'4" or taller by design. Final "scoop" - Johnson was not upset about some of the transfers because "they were not B1G players." Doogie mentioned Mitchell and Freeman in this category.

That's some interesting news for a change. Although I like to see a true point guard in the lineup, certainly coaches have made it work without one. Fran McCaffrey hasn't had a true point guard in the starting lineup for about five years now. He has a true point guard on the roster but he's a backup.

I agree in general that most of the players on Pitino's last roster were not Big Ten starters. Not "Big Ten players" might be going a bit too far because all conference teams have players who are not good enough to be starters or even subs playing significant minutes.

That's some interesting news for a change. Although I like to see a true point guard in the lineup, certainly coaches have made it work without one. Fran McCaffrey hasn't had a true point guard in the starting lineup for about five years now. He has a true point guard on the roster but he's a backup.

I agree in general that most of the players on Pitino's last roster were not Big Ten starters. Not "Big Ten players" might be going a bit too far because all conference teams have players who are not good enough to be starters or even subs playing significant minutes.
I like to evaluate players thinking...is this player good enough to play a major role on a top 25 team.

(Basically could they be a top 8 rotation guy off a team that is a top 6 seed in the tourney).

last year,
we had 2 forsures
We had 2 maybes

You probably need 6+ to finish top 25

I like to evaluate players thinking...is this player good enough to play a major role on a top 25 team.

(Basically could they be a top 8 rotation guy off a team that is a top 6 seed in the tourney).

last year,
we had 2 forsures
We had 2 maybes

You probably need 6+ to finish top 25

Well said!

FWIW - Doogie was on with Mackey and Judd. He said the Gophers "hope* to add 2 or 3 more big men, but said one or two may not be announced until after Memorial Day. Also said Johnson's offense will not operate with a traditional point guard. And he noted that so far, every new player is 6'4" or taller by design. Final "scoop" - Johnson was not upset about some of the transfers because "they were not B1G players." Doogie mentioned Mitchell and Freeman in this category.
Of the players that left, 4 have ended up at Power 5 schools (Robbins, Williams, Gabe, Johnson), one can go anywhere he wants (Carr), and one is still unknown (Gach) but is likely to end up at a P5 school. That’s 6 guys that were, without question, Big Ten players. We’ve replaced those 6 with guys that have one combined year of experience playing at the P5 level - Payton Willis when he was here. The roster decimation and drop-off in talent in 2 months is nothing short of amazing. But hey, we’ll be ‘scrappy’ and these guys will defend. We’ll go with that for now.

Of the players that left, 4 have ended up at Power 5 schools (Robbins, Williams, Gabe, Johnson), one can go anywhere he wants (Carr), and one is still unknown (Gach) but is likely to end up at a P5 school. That’s 6 guys that were, without question, Big Ten players. We’ve replaced those 6 with guys that have one combined year of experience playing at the P5 level - Payton Willis when he was here. The roster decimation and drop-off in talent in 2 months is nothing short of amazing. But hey, we’ll be ‘scrappy’ and these guys will defend. We’ll go with that for now.
Wonder where they played before last year.

It should be a beautiful experiment. The sht struggle begins when st Thomas is handily beating the u and getting bids to the tourney with players like Brent Cavendish the 3rd from Edina.

Top Bottom