Official roster updated: we have 8 players

... and one is out for the season.

I'd hold off on Fox being done for the season talk yet. If he can come back in January or February, I'd bet he would. He already redshirted on year and played two. He may have some professional aspirations and will not want to give up another earning year.

Seven healthy bodies doesn't exactly fill me with optimism...

I am concerned as anyone that we have 7 players right now, but we all know that more will be added, right? Maybe not that many more since Ben said today he’s not filling all 13 scholarships, but we’re not going with 7 players next year.

I am concerned as anyone that we have 7 players right now, but we all know that more will be added, right? Maybe not that many more since Ben said today he’s not filling all 13 scholarships, but we’re not going with 7 players next year.

He better fill 12 scholarships anyway even if he has to take some stiffs. Many of these players are for one year only so there really isn't much risk there.

Well, in some of the past discussions on the team's depth, there were posters who stated that most teams only really play 7 or 8 people on a regular basis, and the people on the end of the bench are just filling out uniforms.

So, if you subscribe to that theory, then the Gophers only really need 1 or 2 more actual "players."

Plus, there's usually some walk-on who suits up for games and gets like 3 minutes of playing time all year. Should be able to find one of those guys.

Seriously - I don't see any need to hand out scholarships just for guys to model a uniform on the bench. if the active roster has 10 players, so be it. (assuming they can avoid too many injuries)

Well, in some of the past discussions on the team's depth, there were posters who stated that most teams only really play 7 or 8 people on a regular basis, and the people on the end of the bench are just filling out uniforms.

So, if you subscribe to that theory, then the Gophers only really need 1 or 2 more actual "players."

Plus, there's usually some walk-on who suits up for games and gets like 3 minutes of playing time all year. Should be able to find one of those guys.

Seriously - I don't see any need to hand out scholarships just for guys to model a uniform on the bench. if the active roster has 10 players, so be it. (assuming they can avoid too many injuries)
If you don’t have ten healthy bodies it’s tough to have practice.
If you go in with ten and one goes down, you’re not gonna have an easy time practicing the remainder of the year

And you can bring in a random body or assistant coach I guess. Is that really how you program build though?

If you really think getting through a season with 8 players is going to be fine you're not going to have fun watching this season. We will have guys foul out of games, we will likely have injuries (even just minor ones), and are still living in a COVID world where one test can derail a week + for someone.

Rolling the dice with an 8 person team and possibly having to have walk on's or guys off the street play significant minutes in the Big Ten is going to be laughable.

With that said, we will definitely be bringing in more players.

He better fill 12 scholarships anyway even if he has to take some stiffs. Many of these players are for one year only so there really isn't much risk there.
Plus, he's apparently a master of having difficult conversations and convincing them to hit the transfer portal...so no worries there.

Are you being intentionally difficult here? You know that you need a full roster. Even if you play 7 guys you don’t just have 7 scholarship players.

Someone else said it. To have any practice you need 10 ppl, but then your margin for error is so small. One more injuray, it's back to alabama minnesota style practice.

Fuller tweeted today that Johnson said he will "definitely add at least two frontcourt recruits in the next couple weeks" (quote is Fuller summarizing what Johnson said). And "won't use all 13 scholarships."

Ideally the bench is full of guys that will be contributers by the time they are upper classmen.

I personally did not like his quote. To me that is admitting defeat already. Things happen where you might not use all 13, I get that, but in May to essentially say "we won't find 6 more guys that will even come here for a year" is not good news on the recruiting trail and is putting expectations very low. I fully understand we aren't getting 6 all Americans, but we can't find some 6'10 kid to pull some rebounds in, or a 5'9 kid who shoots 42% from 3 to come in and fill even a tiny role? I hope I'm wrong as Ben seems like a great dude but this start is an utter disaster

A few things of note...
1. If Andre Hollins can practice with the team, that will be a big bonus
2. I wonder if Jarvis was ever cleared to workout? If so, we would be a great practice addition as well.
3. I have never seen a top 125 player like Treyton average so few points per game as a senior. I wonder how far away he is from contributing.

I personally did not like his quote. To me that is admitting defeat already. Things happen where you might not use all 13, I get that, but in May to essentially say "we won't find 6 more guys that will even come here for a year" is not good news on the recruiting trail and is putting expectations very low. I fully understand we aren't getting 6 all Americans, but we can't find some 6'10 kid to pull some rebounds in, or a 5'9 kid who shoots 42% from 3 to come in and fill even a tiny role? I hope I'm wrong as Ben seems like a great dude but this start is an utter disaster
It may have something to do with not being able to find 5 more guys, but it seems like it's more of an approach he will take as a program. He said in his opening press conference how it's almost impossible to have 13 guys on scholarship and I take that to mean keeping guys happy, having enough playing time for all and so on. Maybe they have 11/12 typical four year scholarship players and use the rest on one-year walk-ons, but I'm not sure.

It's 13 scholarships. Why use them if you don't have players you can develop. You don't want to use up scholarships for future years with a player you don't see contributing, and you don't bring in one-year guys who won't play. Not that hard. It is hilarious to watch people panic on here.

Someone else said it. To have any practice you need 10 ppl, but then your margin for error is so small. One more injuray, it's back to alabama minnesota style practice.
Am I reading SONs math wrong? He says you play 7-8 guys (which is true and what we have), plus add a couple scholarship guys and walk ons. That’s 12 guys and more than enough to get through a year.

It's 13 scholarships. Why use them if you don't have players you can develop. You don't want to use up scholarships for future years with a player you don't see contributing, and you don't bring in one-year guys who won't play. Not that hard. It is hilarious to watch people panic on here.
You also could add a bad locker room guy too. The days of needing to filling 13 scholarships every year are just gone.

In NCAA Division 1 basketball, coaches can offer a maximum of 13 scholarships per team. These are called headcount scholarships, also known as full-ride scholarships. The average NCAA Division 1 team rosters 16 athletes, so there might be three players on the team who walked on and don't qualify for athletic aid.

His job is literally to find and develop players. He’s getting paid way more money than you and I to do it.

Well good news, we now have 9 scholarship players, one of whom is out for the season. Four scholarships to go...and then a few walk-ons and we'll be all set for the grueling Big 10 season.

Top Bottom