***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I also wonder why Swenson seemed to be manned up on Moore a lot? He actually did an admirable job, but it seemed weird to have Swenson on their All American one on one for much of the game.

That call was was the worst I ever seen, and I am a Minnesota Gopher Fan. Total screwjob, that is not pass interference, and someone needs to be fired.

I wouldn't have called it but this is a bit of an overstatement. The Gopher defensive PI was just as bad. It didn't negate a TD, but it did result in one. I know we need to do a better job when we get screwed of saying it all evens out, but it kind of does.

You are butt hurt cuz you hate PJ. Get over it. Brohm may have missed his best chance to beat Fleck again. If I am Purdue I move on from this guy. They have Moore and nothing else. Is he recruiting?

All i can say if that call went against Minnesota we would all be going insane.

That was an awful call. Be honest.
Unfortunately the bad call will hide the fact that PJ and the OC went into a shell again in the 4th quarter and almost lost the game like they did in Maryland....He is not learning from his previous mistakes and that is a problem.

No, there is doubt, Purdue got screwed.

Payback for tor the Traivis Dortdt. FG with no time left .... ok with that
I mentioned this game in another post as well as the Penn St. game. Man -- we got screwed in those games pretty bad and both should have been Gopher wins. I guess the 1962 game vs. Wisconsin may have been the worst. The referees made a few REALLY bad calls that cost them from going to the Rose Bowl. The refs are human, too and they do make mistakes. It's part of the game. You can take them out of the equation if you play well enough where it doesn't come down to just one call at the end.

I also wonder why Swenson seemed to be manned up on Moore a lot? He actually did an admirable job, but it seemed weird to have Swenson on their All American one on one for much of the game.
Perhaps because he could tackle Moore, which Swenson did one-on-one in the open field a few times.

I have no issue with the OPI call. From the first replay views it looked like a questionable call but later I saw a replay view where it appears the receiver created some separation by pushing off the defender. The receiver put his right arm on the defender to hold him off.

Last edited:

I will never forget an infamous ending against Purdue in those days. It was overtime and a Purdue receiver caught the ball out of the back of the endzone. The weird markings confused the ref. There was no doubt he was out of bounds but no replay back then. As I walked out of the Dome stomping mad that stupid Purdue train was blaring its horn. Join the club, Purdue. We've all been there.
I remember that game too, but I am not sure on the year. It ticked me off so much. If I recall even the announcers didn't see it. I couldn't find any video of it on the internet. If anyone can find it please post or link. Or maybe dust off that old VHS tape from your collection of old Gopher games, change the oil in your VCR, pop the tape in and pray that it doesn't fall apart.
Thanks.

Refs are on the playing field and are therefore part of the game. For better for worse. Pro tip: don’t upset maroon shaft.

I remember that game too, but I am not sure on the year. It ticked me off so much. If I recall even the announcers didn't see it. I couldn't find any video of it on the internet. If anyone can find it please post or link. Or maybe dust off that old VHS tape from your collection of old Gopher games, change the oil in your VCR, pop the tape in and pray that it doesn't fall apart.
Thanks.
Okay. My memory is a little foggy, but I did manage to find this. Going back and looking this stuff up one thing is pretty evident - Minnesota and Purdue games are high scoring with a lot of poor officiating and not short on controversy. Let's add last night's game to the fray.
Anyway, here is what I had stuck in my mind regarding the play in the end zone...

Just not the one that decided the victor?
That was the only play/call that decided it, huh? Receiving 4 points two drives earlier had nothing to with the outcome?

How about the fact that they still had the ball with plenty of time to score after that "terrible" call? I certainly wasn't expecting to stop them even after that.

I was almost relieved when I first they had scored because I thought there was enough time left for us to go score again and still win. In fact, I was slightly disappointed in the penalty at first because it took away our chance to go score and I figured the defense would still give up a TD.

But they didn't. They made a play. A play that actually decided the game. It was great. 5 touchdowns on offense also decided the game. There is nothing to apologize for. These things happen in every game.

That call was was the worst I ever seen, and I am a Minnesota Gopher Fan. Total screwjob, that is not pass interference, and someone needs to be fired.

Agree that it was a very bad call but the worst call ever?Hardly. At least there was a minor push off. The Purdue/Gopher game at the Dome where the Officials were confused by the "Minnesota" decal not going all the way to the End Zone and said the receiver was out of bounds was far worse than that.

The 2nd for me was the 1996 Penn State game at Beaver Stadium. It was Mason's first year. They ended-up 3-9 and coming into the game they were 2-4. Yes I looked-up the details. They lost to the #1 ranked Nittany Lions 15-16. A disputed/bad PI call set Penn State up for the win. There was another bogus call late in the game but don't remember and can't find the details on it.

Paterno came into the Gopher locker room after the game to tell them they had really won it. The result of course stayed the same. He told the press after the game:

"They outplayed us and outcoached us; we just outlucked them,'' Paterno said.

Last night's call was bad. The fact that it ended Purdue's chance to win magnified it. That said it wasn't the worst for many of us and it wasn't as if Purdue wasn't the recipient of "bogus" calls last night. They also blew some chances to win the game too.

All that said hope that some of the 22 players can get back for the Wisconsin game or the score will be too lopsided to complain about a last minute call.

Last edited:

That was the only play/call that decided it, huh? Receiving 4 points two drives earlier had nothing to with the outcome?

How about the fact that they still had the ball with plenty of time to score after that "terrible" call? I certainly wasn't expecting to stop them even after that.

I was almost relieved when I first they had scored because I thought there was enough time left for us to go score again and still win. In fact, I was slightly disappointed in the penalty at first because it took away our chance to go score and I figured the defense would still give up a TD.

But they didn't. They made a play. A play that actually decided the game. It was great. 5 touchdowns on offense also decided the game. There is nothing to apologize for. These things happen in every game.
I agree that the players have nothing to apologize for. However, that call wasn’t “terrible”, it was terrible.

Obviously I'm glad for the win, and I'll take it.

I am slightly disappointed that, of all the people on defense at that moment that Plummer chose to throw the ball directly to, he chose Aune.

Aune, like Howden, MSM, and Rush, should be starting at South Dakota State.

I don't believe they are Big Ten starters.

But they're what we've got this year.

lol. I had the same thoughts. I was pissed that they called the penalty, thinking it took away our best chance of winning, which was giving up a score quickly and then trying to score ourselves.

Okay. My memory is a little foggy, but I did manage to find this. Going back and looking this stuff up one thing is pretty evident - Minnesota and Purdue games are high scoring with a lot of poor officiating and not short on controversy. Let's add last night's game to the fray.
Anyway, here is what I had stuck in my mind regarding the play in the end zone...
This was the epitome of gopher athletics in the 90s

There was 6-8” of green between the gold and the out of bounds that caused the confusion.

A week later...instead of filling the green with gold so the whole endzone was same color...the painted green over part of the gold and made the green area bigger. LMAO

I agree that the players have nothing to apologize for. However, that call wasn’t “terrible”, it was terrible.
Obviously that's an opinion. He clearly did extend his arm. How much it helped is hard to tell. At the very least, the call was debatable. Now the one they called on us was absolutely terrible. The QB was throwing the ball away. It wasn't even a real pass. It was baffling. And it had just as much impact on the game.

Obviously that's an opinion. He clearly did extend his arm. How much it helped is hard to tell. At the very least, the call was debatable. Now the one they called on us was absolutely terrible. The QB was throwing the ball away. It wasn't even a real pass. It was baffling. And it had just as much impact on the game.
Moreover, it was a full extension that gave the receiver separation from blanket defense, and you can see the defender lose at least two steps in the race - the final separation distance - upon the stiffarm. Now, I'm not saying that, under normal circumstances in a play that decides a game that this call should be made, but it's pretty clear why the official threw the flag, and it was a correct call. This penalty was far clearer than the previous game-threatening flag, the DPI on 3rd down in which no one has yet seen receiver altering contact on a throwaway "pass" that arguably was intentional grounding, and the play of which had zero chance of obtaining even close to a first down if the "pass" were to have been caught. As I said elsewhere, to not have made the OPI call given the egregious DPI call a couple of possessions earlier would have been the far more improper move.

This was the epitome of gopher athletics in the 90s

There was 6-8” of green between the gold and the out of bounds that caused the confusion.

A week later...instead of filling the green with gold so the whole endzone was same color...the painted green over part of the gold and made the green area bigger. LMAO
Yeah, the series of crazy bad luck the Gophers had around that era of time - both with near-miraculous occurrences against them in-game, and head-scratching calls against them that often decided games against them outright - remains incredulous.

So was there some sort of contractual obligation that stipulated that every single game today needed to mention the bad call from last night? Good lord.

So was there some sort of contractual obligation that stipulated that every single game today needed to mention the bad call from last night? Good lord.
It has been really annoying listening to all the announcers talking about poor Purdue.

Top Bottom