***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA HOMECOMING IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Typical homecoming bullshit. Play calling stunk. OL got pantsed. I really can’t wait until Morgan is no longer the QB. He’s a nice guy, but lacks the talent to make the defense pay. Guy has a good game once in a blue moon despite having tons of talent around him. The CFB version of Kirk Cousins. We’re lucky enough to have two of them.

Welcome to the rest of the 2022 season... Brohm has laid out the defensive game plan for every team the rest of the way. Maybe a healthy Mo will help break up the stacked deck, but every team will be practically inviting Morgan to beat them.
I said wait, because teams would stack the box, but was told the slant was back so we are good.

Illinois will stack the box just like last year.

Welcome back to reality. It was a fun 4 weeks. Still a good team. But that 10% odds of making the playoffs looks foolish now.

Wow, read all the comments in this thread... I'm not the only one that saw them get conservative. Running for like 5 plays in a row? Running the time down like we were ahead when it was tied? Only resorting to passes on 3rd and long? If you didn't see that, you must not be watching.
What happens when you've got a QB who obviously doesn't have "it" that day...? Do you try to take the game out of his hands and play conservatively? Do you let him throw it? That was a huge vote of no confidence in the QB from the head coach and the offensive coordinator. It does echo back to Sanford, who really had no faith in Tanner. He was also a shitty coach, so that was a wash. Everyone got on their knees and thanked the football gods that kirk came back, though... just to see the same result. If the Gophers can't grind and control the clock, it's gonna be a long-ass day.

Who chooses to keep playing him?
the far bigger problem today was really shitty running from Potts, and the fact that we kept running him as if it was working, and then going mega conservative in two possessions to win the game in a tie game late, again, as if that was working.

What happens when you've got a QB who obviously doesn't have "it" that day...? Do you try to take the game out of his hands and play conservatively? Do you let him throw it? That was a huge vote of no confidence in the QB from the head coach and the offensive coordinator. It does echo back to Sanford, who really had no faith in Tanner. He was also a shitty coach, so that was a wash. Everyone got on their knees and thanked the football gods that kirk came back, though... just to see the same result. If the Gophers can't grind and control the clock, it's gonna be a long-ass day.
Our receivers are below average. I've never been a Morgan guy, but these guys rarely break free.

With MO out, we are in deep shit.

Part of me did want to see the Gophers go to the "Duke's Mayo Bowl" one of these years.
As exiting as that would be, I don't think the B1G has a tie-in for that. Maybe the Pinstripe bowl in 30 degrees. Get pumped.

2 and 55. First drive 4-5 missed tackles, a big whiff on the QB on big third down later on and missed the walk-in RB two or maybe three times on the long run for God’s sake. 2 struggles in adversity and has no mobility against better defenses a couple of runs coming up short on third down killed us. We are who I thought we were. That said, missed FG, dropped pass in end zone leading to a pick and Flecks and KC nuts shriveling up tough to overcome. PJ is a crappy in game coach still!!

I get that he isn't a great QB. I don't expect him to make every throw. What I do wish for is to be a little smarter in play calling. You get a 15 yard pass play and first down... the very next two plays you call RUTM and third and long. Killed your drive. That was what we did all third quarter after we tied the game. Before we were tied, we actually mixed it up... after we tied, we shut down.

Not so sure about that, it’s super weak this year. Badgers and Iowa down big time. West is still within grasp. But just to be pounded in Indy probably

Unless Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State implode, all will be ranked higher than the West winner at the end of the season, so even if we ended up going to Indy, we wouldn't go to Pasadena.

What is beyond ridiculous is that this website has a thread about "Naming this Offense!" Good gosh.

I’ve been a gopher fan long enough to know how this team works, so I bet on Purdue.

A few extra bucks to ease my pain.

There’s a lot of football still left to be played.
Illinois is dragging around a loss to Indiana on their ledger. That didn’t kill their season, and this loss won’t kill Minnesota’s either.

Simple. A team can't play like shit and expect to beat another good team. Key dropped passes. Key turnovers. Bad reads from backup running backs. Poor blocking. Bad decision making in play calling (the 4th down attempt early was idiotic). Missed field goal chip shot. Add in key injuries. A recipe for a loss.

In the end, MN gifted Purdue a 13-point swing in the 4th down call, missed field goal, and dropped TD. That equals loss.

Two things that just sucked today:

1. I never saw it coming, with or without Mo. How does the friggin Purdue defense hold us to 10 points?

2. I never saw Mo being out coming.

Minnesota Sports, you never see it coming, but should see it coming.

Illinois is dragging around a loss to Indiana on their ledger. That didn’t kill their season, and this loss won’t kill Minnesota’s either.
Yes, but if you watched that Illinois loss, they dominated that game. It was unreal how they lost.

I don't see us beating Illinois. On the other hand, I didn't see us losing this game, either.

Gawd, I'm just pissed right now.

at the very least it’ll kill the fanbase though. No more sellouts this year excepting when the opposing team brings a bunch. The excitement has evaporated, and completely. Be ready for hog heaven in November.

Same old Gophers - look good for a few games, raise expectations -- then lose the big game. Shades of Bowling Green and Illinois last year: stop the Gopher running game, put it all on Morgan, and the Gophers sputter.

Even though I hope to live another 50 years or so, I now make peace that the Gophers will never make the Rose Bowl in my lifetime. This was the last shot.
Agreed.
It’s just not going to happen with the expanded Big Ten. Hope I’m wrong, but I’ve given up on it.

Unless Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State implode, all will be ranked higher than the West winner at the end of the season, so even if we ended up going to Indy, we wouldn't go to Pasadena.
Yeah, what I meant is they would have to win at Indy. I completely agree with you though. Would have to win out to see roses

Let's all chill out. I'm sure a group reading of Everybody Poops will solve all our problems.

Disgrace!

Refs sucked

Tanner sucked

Potts & Williams sucked

D was better than O

We just showed everyone why not to hype us up.

We’re worse than FAU! 😆

Our identity is run well to set up pass … and to close out win. Potts has 10 yards on 9 carries today. Williams had 35 yards on 11 carries. That’s ballgame unless defense pitches a near shutout. Passing game isn’t good enough to overcome very poor running game. Today the Illinois match-up looks very bad … Penn State, too.

Top Bottom