***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA HOMECOMING IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

The obvious is that Tanner is the perfect play-from-ahead QB. If PJ doesn't decide to go for it on their own 29, don't miss a 28 yard fg, and MBS doesn't drop that game-tying TD before half, I imagine they do just enough to get the win. When the odds are against Tanner is when he really seems to struggle. The Bowling Green, Illinois and Iowa games last year come to mind. He just doesn't have the ability to win a game when the running game is really struggling.

Unfortunately, Fleck has a similar trait. He looked like a genious the first 4 games and started making the rounds nationally/ He was championing how connected this group is and just like last year, when the running game struggles and he's not able to control the game, he struggles to make the necessary adjustments to overcome and win. When the expectations start to creep up and the what-ifs start, his teams always take 2 steps back (Iowa/Wisconsin in 2019, Illinois/Iowa in 2021, and now Purdue this year). Hopefully he and Tanner can change the narrative and run the table the rest of this year. No reason this team shouldn't win 10 regular season games this year with their remaining schedule.

Let's face it. The Gophs are like Iowa without Mo. A good defense but pedestrian offense. Mo changes the offense. The problem going into this game is that Mo has never made it through a full season without missing time and that hasn't changed this year. This offense looks a whole lot like last year without Mo and CAB.

Two things that just sucked today:

1. I never saw it coming, with or without Mo. How does the friggin Purdue defense hold us to 10 points?

2. I never saw Mo being out coming.

Minnesota Sports, you never see it coming, but should see it coming.
Gophers were over rated.

What happens when you've got a QB who obviously doesn't have "it" that day...? Do you try to take the game out of his hands and play conservatively? Do you let him throw it? That was a huge vote of no confidence in the QB from the head coach and the offensive coordinator. It does echo back to Sanford, who really had no faith in Tanner. He was also a shitty coach, so that was a wash. Everyone got on their knees and thanked the football gods that kirk came back, though... just to see the same result. If the Gophers can't grind and control the clock, it's gonna be a long-ass day.
Remember Jalen Hurts getting pulled at the half for a never-played-before Tua in the national championship.

at the very least it’ll kill the fanbase though. No more sellouts this year excepting when the opposing team brings a bunch. The excitement has evaporated, and completely. Be ready for hog heaven in November.
actually, i think it’s worse than that, and I change my mind. This loss feels 2003 Michigan bad. Everything is there for the fanbase to finally find something to latch onto, and atrocious coaching and atrocious execution in one shining moment make it all evaporate in an instant.

I really think today’s loss was a program changer in a very bad way. Instead of a team that looked hard to beat and on a roll, it’s turned to a team with a very boring, pathetic offense that will likely get stomped the next two games and limp the rest of the season. Today could really hardly be any worse, from a football program and U athletics perspective. What a wasted opportunity for everyone in maroon and gold today. Just horrendous. The Can’t Happen happened again.

Last edited:

Raise your hands, who all thought the game was effectively over when the TD pass bounce off #22s chest? I'm a pretty optimistic guy typically, but that was the 13th point the Gophs gave back and my mood went really sour after that.

Gophers were over rated.
Yes, but with Mo in the backfield, I think we win fairly easy. Purdue plays a different defense and we run a hell of a lot better.

So what happens out of friggin nowhere?.........no Mo!

actually, i think it’s worse than that, and I change my mind. This loss feels 2003 Michigan bad. Everything is there for the fanbase to finally find something to latch onto, and atrocious coaching and atrocious execution in one shining moment make it all evaporate in an instant.

I really think today’s loss was a program changer in a very, very bad way. Instead of a team that looked hard to beat and on a roll, it’s turned to a team with a very boring, pathetic offense that will likely get stomped the next two games and limp the rest of the season. Today could really hardly be any worse, from a football program and U athletics perspective. What a wasted opportunity for everyone in maroon and gold today. Just horrendous. The Can’t Happen happened again.
We'd be the talk of Minnesota for the next two weeks. We'd be ranked. The buzz on this board would be awesome.

We'd be talking about going into the Illinois to try and put a stranglehold on the division.

To top it off, the coaches are going to be off recruiting for a few days. Imagine walking in with a ranking, a 5-0 record, etc........all that momentum is gone.

Well it’s pretty clear now we’re not as good as we thought. Another typical absolute dud at home under Fleck. Had a full house and play like that?

I liked the first 4 games better.
Me too. I like to read other teams boards. Iowa and Nebraska were hilarious. Wisconsin was somewhat fun, too.

Well, so much for those memories. I have no interest in that anymore.

Dylan Wright has been incredibly disappointing. I almost never see him create separation, and he only has 7 catches in 5 games. With that size and speed, and with our desperate need to have another WR step up in CrAB's absence, that is one key guy letting the team down massively.

at the very least it’ll kill the fanbase though. No more sellouts this year excepting when the opposing team brings a bunch. The excitement has evaporated, and completely. Be ready for hog heaven in November.
There’s 28 days to the next home game with two big ones along the way.

It could be a ghost town for Rutgers. Or, the Gophers could be in a stronger position than it was Saturday morning before the Purdue game. All depends on the adjustments and health.

I've been a Gopher fans for years and one thing I've learned they will always disappoint so don't get emotionally involved with the team.
That's what I'll be like until proven otherwise...which means I will miss out the first time. I'm convinced this team will never be anything than what they are now...which is better than years ago. We've hit our ceiling. I was wrong on Fleck...he's better than I thought hut he isn't a great coach.

Top Bottom