***OFFICIAL NEBRASKA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

On both sides of the ball no less. Right now he is the quickest kid we have against the drive and on offense he is really the only guy who can beat someone of the dribble and make a play. I like him.
In fact I like all of Ben's frosh this year for varying reasons and they are all competitors as well.
They definitely seem to be figuring out their roles. The players give me confidence in CBJ even though he looks like a deer in the headlights sometimes.

If he can't coach now, I don't think he'll suddenly learn while coaching in the B1G.
I don't know what to tell you on that. He is going to be our coach for several more years. So I am hoping he gets better at it. He can recruit so that's a start. Hopefully better players will help him make better decisions. His schemes on both ends stink.

He is going to be our coach for a minimum of three years after this. I hope he learns. Right now he is overmatched and stubborn.
Three years AFTER this? I doubt that's a given. Next year will have to show major progress.

Three years AFTER this? I doubt that's a given. Next year will have to show major progress.
Ideally you are correct. If next year is bad- let's say 6-14- his future in the Big Ten is done for, but they won't fire him.

I don't know what to tell you on that. He is going to be our coach for several more years. So I am hoping he gets better at it. He can recruit so that's a start. Hopefully better players will help him make better decisions. His schemes on both ends stink.
Recruiting doesn't equal winning. Don't get me wrong, I like the fr. However I Just don't know if they are good enough.

Never tried zone or any strategy to stop them from driving it past us, took out Henley after his best stretch as a Gopher and killed our momentum there, broke up their best run with a weird lineup including Thompson, called the timeout with 20 seconds that led to a horrid Battle shot. He cannot seem to get Battle to improve shot selection or Cooper to move the ball on offense.

I will say this, for much of the game they reversed the ball better and did find Battle some open shots- he just couldn't make most of them.
Absolutely needed a three at the end and never put Carrington in. Needed to double team Walker and never did. Henley taken out when playing well but kept Battle in almost the whole game. Lots of wtf moments.

Recruiting doesn't equal winning. Don't get me wrong, I like the fr. However I Just don't know if they are good enough.
They are not. If we want to finish as an 8-10 seed in the B10 they are fine. If we want to be higher, we need more 5 stars (evans is a start) and four stars (Christie is nice)…but Ben also needs to realize that college basketball is a guard dominated sport…we have no guards and still don’t next year…then in 2024-25 even if we get our guy, it’s not like he is a Derrick rose level prospect (1 and done 5 star PG)

Last edited:

That may be true but that doesn't mean we won't win any. Pitino's historically awful team certainly wasn't favored when, at 0-13 in the conference, they beat 22-5 Maryland.

Today's game actually was an encouraging sign. Two very close games in a row against P6 teams after being pretty uncompetitive against the first 5 we played.

Regardless what talking heads say, Big Ten is very average ,with very LITTLE NBA Talent in it.

I want to see what these guys ( the young guys) look like if they are paired with competent guards.
We have no one, save for Henley today, that can break down a defense and make them scramble. We are incredibly easy to defend. Payne will be a beast in a year and would get bunnies from a good point guard. Henley is going to be tough. At some point this year, I think he has a breakout game and we will see it. I'd like Ola Joseph to muscle up, he's a tough kid and needs a little more strength and a mid range game to keep himself less one dimensional. Carrington- I am not sure what to think there- I wish he was quicker. The next class has two really good ones -so we'll see. Last year I was impressed by what Ben did with so little athleticism...now it worries me that it was just that he had a bunch of old guys who knew how to play whether coached or not. So I am just not sure what to think.

Today was a badly coached game that should have been won.

I want to see what these guys ( the young guys) look like if they are paired with competent guards.
We have no one, save for Henley today, that can break down a defense and make them scramble. We are incredibly easy to defend. Payne will be a beast in a year and would get bunnies from a good point guard. Henley is going to be tough. At some point this year, I think he has a breakout game and we will see it. I'd like Ola Joseph to muscle up, he's a tough kid and needs a little more strength and a mid range game to keep himself less one dimensional. Carrington- I am not sure what to think there- I wish he was quicker. The next class has two really good ones -so we'll see. Last year I was impressed by what Ben did with so little athleticism...now it worries me that it was just that he had a bunch of old guys who knew how to play whether coached or not. So I am just not sure what to think.

JOJ needs to work on positioning and getting his body on someone when a shot goes up. He relies too much on his athleticism to get defensive rebounds. Today it cost him and the Gophers a few times, one of them being the critical tip in after a Walker miss the put the lead at 3 in OT. Had he bodied up his man either he or Samuels gets that rebound and we have a chance to go down and take the lead.
Carrington did not have a good day on the defensive end. He moved the ball well on offense though. Because of his poor play today he didn't see the floor much which is the way it should be. But, like Henley has shown some sign of improvement, I believe he will play better as the season progresses. He's isn't as quick as Henley so he has to understand that his defensive positioning needs to be flawless at all times or he is going to get beat like he did today. He has shown he can be a good defender at times, but today wasn't it.
I'd like to see Cooper and Carrington together at times and then Henley and Samuels at other times.

Garcia went into the player sideways and wasn't even close to being set. It was an obvious block.
I'd agree, but I have always said the dumbest play in basketball is when the offensive player can just lower the shoulder and bull you over as you aren't set.

He just ran Garcia over by plowing into him.

Lebron would have been proud.

Last edited:

I went and had a ball. Was 6th grade kid’s first game and he loved it. And we are hockey people. So close!
I too had a blast. Went with a friend and his young’n. Arrived early and saw the pre-teen/future Deja Vu dancers perform their routines b/4 the game and then met Goldy with the kid for a picture. Good crowd! Good game (it took the Gophs an OT period to lose and I guess that’s progress)! Good beer! No better venue for watching basketball than The Barn. Highly recommend. 🇺🇸

I'd agree, but I have always said the dumbest play in basketball is when the offensive player can just lower the should and bull you over as you aren't set.

He just ran Garcia over by plowing into him.

Lebron would have been proud.

Garcia ran into him just as much as the Nebraska player did to Garcia. There were a lot of bad calls in this game, that wasn't one of them.

That was Spencer's judgment, too (radio). He said there isn't a ref alive who'd reward you for what Garcia did.
True, but again, the Nebraska guy just lowered his shoulder and ran him over whether he was set or not.

If a guy is moving his feet, then why not bull a guy over? You could do it all game long.

I just hate that play.

Last edited:

I was super impressed by how Ben handled both the roster and game management last year. I still think he's done the best recruiting over the first two years since Clem.

His game and roster management this year is puzzling. When Ben put Samuels in with five minutes left I knew the game was over. The gophers were playing four on five on offense and defense the rest of the way. (Yes, Samuels made a game tying shot. They left him wide open and it was a fluke.) Tough to win games that way. Henley is inexperienced and erratic, but he can play. In this instance he was playing very well and was the key to a nice run. To sub him out for someone who can't play at all made no sense. Ben is going to lose some players he doesn't have to lose and can't afford to lose because of decisions like the one he made today.

I was super impressed by how Ben handled both the roster and game management last year. I still think he's done the best recruiting over the first two years since Clem.

His game and roster management this year is puzzling. When Ben put Samuels in with five minutes left I knew the game was over. The gophers were playing four on five on offense and defense the rest of the way. (Yes, Samuels made a game tying shot. They left him wide open and it was a fluke.) Tough to win games that way. Henley is inexperienced and erratic, but he can play. In this instance he was playing very well and was the key to a nice run. To sub him out for someone who can't play at all made no sense. Ben is going to lose some players he doesn't have to lose and can't afford to lose because of decisions like the one he made today.

I agree with most of your post, but there's no chance Ben's first two classes compare to Tubby's first two classes. Not even close.

I agree with most of your post, but there's no chance Ben's first two classes compare to Tubby's first two classes. Not even close.
I'm counting this year's class and next year's class as Ben's first two years. Last year was basically one and done except for Battle and it wasn't close to a full recruiting cycle. You have a good point but I think it will be close.

True, but again, the Nebraska guy just lowered his shoulder and ran him over whether he was set or not.

If a guy is moving his feet, then why not bull a guy over? You could do it all game long.

I just hate that play.
The rules are the rules. It was a block.

I agree with most of this. I am very on record saying that I think CBJ is an absolute train wreck coaching offense. I think the only way we could have a decent offense is to have an Uber elite PG who can just make everyone better. I can't think of a good NCAA comp (probably Pickett at PSU) , but I'd compare it to the PHX Sun's. They had Booker Ayton Bridges etc so young physically talented guys, but were a below average team. They added 1 piece, Chris Paul, an ELITE pg and everything fell into place. Booker took better shots, Ayton became efficient, Bridges/Johnson turned into elite shooters in big part because the guy pulling the strings highlighted their strengths will hiding their weaknesses. I think of we want any shot to be .500 next year, CBJ needs that spot filled. I don't mean by a Cooper type, I mean a Tyrese Hunter, Baylor Schierman, Zakai Zeigler type stud. Do I think he can do that, no I don't but that's the only path to me

Maybe......he dipped his shoulder are bulled him over

I've seen that called the other way many times.
I'm a homer but the baseline rep replay showed otherwise. No in position/not even close to square or decent defending position, embellished/flopped/flailed some contact. I was okay with the call after I saw that. Now, there were probably 10 other calls I was livid over

I agree with most of this. I am very on record saying that I think CBJ is an absolute train wreck coaching offense. I think the only way we could have a decent offense is to have an Uber elite PG who can just make everyone better. I can't think of a good NCAA comp (probably Pickett at PSU) , but I'd compare it to the PHX Sun's. They had Booker Ayton Bridges etc so young physically talented guys, but were a below average team. They added 1 piece, Chris Paul, an ELITE pg and everything fell into place. Booker took better shots, Ayton became efficient, Bridges/Johnson turned into elite shooters in big part because the guy pulling the strings highlighted their strengths will hiding their weaknesses. I think of we want any shot to be .500 next year, CBJ needs that spot filled. I don't mean by a Cooper type, I mean a Tyrese Hunter, Baylor Schierman, Zakai Zeigler type stud. Do I think he can do that, no I don't but that's the only path to me
2 of 3 isn’t bad as Schierman isn’t a pg.
They do need more guys who can break the defense down by getting into the lane. Right now Henley is the only one who can do that. He should have been in the game in the last few minutes of regulation and OT and JOJ or Samuels should have been out.

I am coming to the conclusion that we have the talent to win now - this year. The players are not holding this team back right now - the problem is with Ben's ability to coach ingame and to help players make adjustments. I feel like we are back to the early Pitino years where the asst coaches huddle to tell Pitino what is happening and then Pitino calls the players in to speak during the timeout. The last 2 games were in the W column if Ben has another 10 years on his resume.

Top Bottom