***OFFICIAL MISSISSIPPI ST AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I did think for I'd say 40% of the game we played well. Moved the ball, looked engaged, played solid defense. Garcia looked more engaged and comfortable. That's the positive.

Ultimately we more than not played another poor game. Battle looks horrendous. Henley can't play. Samuels isn't good at all. And maybe it's just me every game but my word Ben DO SOMETHING. He can't draw up a play, an inbounds, a defensive scheme and when we get jobbed on a call he looks like he wants to bury his head in the sand!

If I had to set a line on B1G wins, it'd be 1.5, and I'd take the under.

Guard play kills us. We can't beat anybody off the dribble so we rarely make the defense scramble- thus we don't get a lot of clean looks from three. Our guards don't hit shots. We are competitive with our forwards, Payne, Garcia, Ola Joseph and Battle, but the lack of quickness and playmaking from the guards just chills the offense.

I know we have Christie coming in, but Ben needs one or two more quick kids on the perimeter besides. A player like Lil Dre that Pitino brought in, would have done wonders for this team.

I did think for I'd say 40% of the game we played well. Moved the ball, looked engaged, played solid defense. Garcia looked more engaged and comfortable. That's the positive.

Ultimately we more than not played another poor game. Battle looks horrendous. Henley can't play. Samuels isn't good at all. And maybe it's just me every game but my word Ben DO SOMETHING. He can't draw up a play, an inbounds, a defensive scheme and when we get jobbed on a call he looks like he wants to bury his head in the sand!

If I had to set a line on B1G wins, it'd be 1.5, and I'd take the under.
Clearly you and I watched two different games. Both last Thursday and tonight, after every timeout where we had the ball, Ben had an excellent play drawn up. For most of those plays it ended in a basket. It seems you are speaking out of emotion rather than observation.

Overheard in a Williams Arena men's room: "Well, the Gophers didn't win, but they didn't quit either."

I guess that's where we're at. If you can't achieve a moral victory, a participation trophy will have to do.

Clearly you and I watched two different games. Both last Thursday and tonight, after every timeout where we had the ball, Ben had an excellent play drawn up. For most of those plays it ended in a basket. It seems you are speaking out of emotion rather than observation.
28.8% from the floor tonight. I suppose that has nothing to do with poor coaching or lack of talent. No, i suppose you will say something like MSU is an all time great defense that will never play that good again and next game with those same shots we will shoot closer to 70%. That about right? 🤦‍♂️

Why are the Gophers struggling (besides Battle's regression)? Its pretty damn simple. Their two high minute guards, Cooper and Carrington, are averaging 11 and 6.5 points per game. When your guards can't shoot, your bigs get doubled, then your bigs have to muscle up a tough shot or kick it out...to some guy that can't score.

28.8% from the floor tonight. I suppose that has nothing to do with poor coaching or lack of talent. No, i suppose you will say something like MSU is an all time great defense that will never play that good again and next game with those same shots we will shoot closer to 70%. That about right? 🤦‍♂️
Your expectations for these kids makes you a massive downer. Your kids must love having you around when they make mistakes. How often do you tell them how worthless they are?
Hopefully you work with your kids to get better rather than constant complaining.

Why are the Gophers struggling (besides Battle's regression)? Its pretty damn simple. Their two high minute guards, Cooper and Carrington, are averaging 11 and 6.5 points per game. When your guards can't shoot, your bigs get doubled, then your bigs have to muscle up a tough shot or kick it out...to some guy that can't score.
Cooper shoots nearly 50% from 3.
This team does not have a lightning quick point guard that can draw help to him. We have to get open looks off from ball movement, which means our kids can't be caught watching the paint dry.
Last night we played a team that averages giving up 49.5 points per game and we scored 51. We scored over the average. We (especially Carrington) had some good, open, looks that didn't fall. 12 points were left off the books. Meanwhile, MSUs guard hit those shots. Simple math tells you we weren't as far off as the score indicates. We are going to get a night where our team shoots lights out. Confidence will increase and we will enjoy the win. Whether you like it or not, this is a Joey King season.

This team does not have a lightning quick point guard that can draw help to him. We have to get open looks off from ball movement, which means our kids can't be caught watching the paint dry.
Last night we played a team that averages giving up 49.5 points per game and we scored 51. We scored over the average. We (especially Carrington) had some good, open, looks that didn't fall. 12 points were left off the books. Meanwhile, MSUs guard hit those shots. Simple math tells you we weren't as far off as the score indicates. We are going to get a night where our team shoots lights out. Confidence will increase and we will enjoy the win. Whether you like it or not, this is a Joey King season.
Simple math would also say we don’t go 14/17 from the line again though…

But agree we need to get Cooper more open 3’s as that’s his best skill. He should be taking more than Battle.

One thing that amazes me is the lack of pick and roll being utilized. We have bigs (Garcia and Battle) who when playing the four could be a heavy pick and roll screener for cooper. They can utilize their hall handling on the pop to drive and hopefully make the defense sag to create open shots for others (but Battle is an all-time ball hog with historically bad assist numbers).

Also it would be interesting if CBJ started to utilize Garcia in a point forward role as he is extremely mobile. He could Bring the ball up and relieve pressure on our incredibly lacking guard depth to save their energy. This could potentially create drive and kick opportunities

Simple math would also say we don’t go 14/17 from the line again though…

But agree we need to get Cooper more open 3’s as that’s his best skill. He should be taking more than Battle.

One thing that amazes me is the lack of pick and roll being utilized. We have bigs (Garcia and Battle) who when playing the four could be a heavy pick and roll screener for cooper. They can utilize their hall handling on the pop to drive and hopefully make the defense sag to create open shots for others (but Battle is an all-time ball hog with historically bad assist numbers).

Also it would be interesting if CBJ started to utilize Garcia in a point forward role as he is extremely mobile. He could Bring the ball up and relieve pressure on our incredibly lacking guard depth to save their energy. This could potentially create drive and kick opportunities
I don't know how much you've watched this year but seemingly the only thing they run is pick n roll with the big. It's part of the problem on offense. They don't really run other action and it gets predictable.

Gophers opponents average 69 ppg, so they need to average 70 ppg to win.
Gophers 2 guards average 17.5 ppg, so the other 3 starters and 1 sub need to average 52.5 ppg to win, which is about 13 ppg each...
...It's hard to win when your guards aren't scoring.

So that's one win! See you in 2025!

I don't know how much you've watched this year but seemingly the only thing they run is pick n roll with the big. It's part of the problem on offense. They don't really run other action and it gets predictable.
I watch every game… maybe our pick and roll is so bad due to spacing I don’t even notice it.

When I think pick and roll I think NBA. You isolate with the ball handler, space the floor, then send up the pick man and let them work. THIS I HAVE NOT SEEN.

Put Payne on the block, battle and carrington in the corners and (cooper is best option for the ball handler) Cooper (up by the logo in the nba floor). Send Garcia up and let them cook.

Garcia can pop or roll. He is mobile and has vision…just needs to work on his passing. Carrington and battle should be able to space the floor (maybe carrington will make a shot this fortnight). *when Garcia is on bench do this with JOJ as he has the athletic ability to go by people whereas battle does not *unless he is playing the 4. Payne will stay on block ready for lobs or dish offs for east dunks / layups. His defender will have to decide to help or give up the dunk to PAYNE.

Your expectations for these kids makes you a massive downer. Your kids must love having you around when they make mistakes. How often do you tell them how worthless they are?
Hopefully you work with your kids to get better rather than constant complaining.
Saying the team isn't very good somehow equates to someone telling their kids they are worthless?

MennoSota making continent size leaps to defend this team and shame Gopher fans at the same time, we will see more of this for the remainder of the season.
Its remarkable how saying someone had a bad shooting night means you support school shootings but he's making those connections.

Just getting to this thread and have only read the last few posts. Sorry if I repeat what's been said.
Samuels shouldn't be on the court at all. Full stop.
I think Ben needs to ride with Carrington. Somewhere in there is a player. The shots will fall.
After the first game of the year I said the team was slow. When Samuels is on the floor, it's only worse.
After the first game of the year, I said a number of players looked out of shape. That's still the case.
I'm curious why Henley has gone from being a starter to two minutes a game.
There are a number of players on the team who will develop. Hopefully, the transfer portal won't end their future here.
I like Ben as a coach and a recruiter. I'm genuinely surprised at how bad this team is.
To be fair, the gophers have played three top twenty teams in a row.
To be realistic and discouraged, two of the games were at home and none of the games were even close. (Michigan looked completely bored.)

Just getting to this thread and have only read the last few posts. Sorry if I repeat what's been said.
I think Ben needs to ride with Carrington. Somewhere in there is a player. The shots will fall.
After the first game of the year I said the team was slow. When Samuels is on the floor, it's only worse.
After the first game of the year, I said a number of players looked out of shape. That's still the case.
There are a number of players on the team who will develop. Hopefully, the transfer portal won't end their future here.
I like Ben as a coach and a recruiter. I'm genuinely surprised at how bad this team is.
To be realistic and discouraged, two of the games were at home and none of the games were even close. (Michigan looked completely bored.)
I was unable to watch much of the game. In looking at the stats, it appears Ben essentially reverted to 7 guys that played, with Henley, TT, Ramberg getting 2 min each. In Marcus Fuller’s 4 takeaways article, he mentioned a twisted ankle for Cooper and cramping by Payne and Samuels. With 3 guys less than 100%, why did only 7 play last night? The +/- for some of the 7 was brutal. That is concerning in an 18 point loss.

Curious about Henley reduced minutes? Watch him.

Top Bottom