***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS WEST VIRGINIA GUARANTEED RATE BOWL IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Just a guess, but if Kramer beat out ZA and Clark based on talent, then one might conclude that the Gopher coaches did not do a good job evaluating and recruiting QB's.

under this theory, ZA and Clark were "supposed" to be quality recruits. If they were passed by a non-throwing QB who came from a run-first HS offense, then two of MN's alleged top QB recruits were both busts. that in turn calls the evaluation and recruiting of QB's into question.

-------------I am NOT saying I agree with this, but that is just how I read transplant's comment------
you my friend understood....

Why would that mean we are in severe trouble?
let me help out here. the odds of a qb getting injured durring the year and high. the odds of a qb playing 99% of offenseive plays other then a running qb coming in .... are very very low.
1. If we have a open competition at QB here...one wonders why clark and annex bolted ...annex has been here i think 3-4 years... clark 2 years... its just possible the competition is not really open
2. I am a fleck big time backer..... this guy in my opinion is the best coach since holtz...however, huge miscalculation on the QB management the past 3 years by fleck. Other then clarks 1 throw 2 years ago for a 30 yard or something completion i do not recall fleck getting any playing time to the young receivers at all.
3. we have 2 freshman qbs with almost zero experience zero playing experience.....typically that is not a good combo to win football games
4. if we treat qbs the way we handled clark and annex ... we will be getting lidners again.
5. We better figure this out.

let me help out here. the odds of a qb getting injured durring the year and high. the odds of a qb playing 99% of offenseive plays other then a running qb coming in .... are very very low.
1. If we have a open competition at QB here...one wonders why clark and annex bolted ...annex has been here i think 3-4 years... clark 2 years... its just possible the competition is not really open
2. I am a fleck big time backer..... this guy in my opinion is the best coach since holtz...however, huge miscalculation on the QB management the past 3 years by fleck. Other then clarks 1 throw 2 years ago for a 30 yard or something completion i do not recall fleck getting any playing time to the young receivers at all.
3. we have 2 freshman qbs with almost zero experience zero playing experience.....typically that is not a good combo to win football games
4. if we treat qbs the way we handled clark and annex ... we will be getting lidners again.
Morgan has rarely been injured, he just made it through the whole season without missing time so it’s not that rare.
1. It’s possible it is open, but they realize Morgan is better than they are.
2. Real game experience is a bit over rated in my opinion.
3. We aren’t likely going to be relying on a freshmen qb.
4. I’m not worried about QB recruiting, it’s looked good under Fleck.
5. It is figured out. Morgan will start next year. Year after Athan, Knuth, and Kramer can battle it out. Clark and ZA aren’t needed.

Just a guess, but if Kramer beat out ZA and Clark based on talent, then one might conclude that the Gopher coaches did not do a good job evaluating and recruiting QB's.

under this theory, ZA and Clark were "supposed" to be quality recruits. If they were passed by a non-throwing QB who came from a run-first HS offense, then two of MN's alleged top QB recruits were both busts. that in turn calls the evaluation and recruiting of QB's into question.

-------------I am NOT saying I agree with this, but that is just how I read transplant's comment------
ZA was a walk-on far from a top recruit. They weren’t busts, they just weren’t good enough to beat out Morgan.

Morgan has rarely been injured, he just made it through the whole season without missing time so it’s not that rare.
1. It’s possible it is open, but they realize Morgan is better than they are.
2. Real game experience is a bit over rated in my opinion.
3. We aren’t likely going to be relying on a freshmen qb.
4. I’m not worried about QB recruiting, it’s looked good under Fleck.
5. It is figured out. Morgan will start next year. Year after Athan, Knuth, and Kramer can battle it out. Clark and ZA aren’t needed.
Interesting thought here. Is it because you think the scout teams provide a better level of competition than the starters of our various opponents do?

1. or there was an open competition and Tanner won. The same way Zack won before and Tanner grew and surpassed him.
2. QB mismangement in what way? Getting another QB some garbage time snaps? I do agree with you that it would be nice to see the subs late in games. I'm unsure what your comment on receivers has to do with QB management. That being said, garbage time snaps are not what makes a QB progress. that takes going through reads and throwing the ball and PJ has shown time and again he absolutely will not throw the ball in those situations, so it really isn't going to change anything for them to get "game experience" versus getting reps in practice and in the film room
3. that's how almost every single QB starts. If Tanner goes down, there's going to be a drop off. Or maybe there won't be and we'll all be pleasantly surprised. It's all about how they respond and you never know how that goes until the bullets fly and that has to be real snaps that matter (not 4th quarter snaps in a 3 score game where they just hand the ball off)
4. That literally makes no sense at all. Our QB recruiting has gotten progressively better. Both Clark and Annexstad left the program with grace and said nothing bad. They wanted to start this year and Tanner came back. If anything, that should tell me if I'm a young guy the competition will be WIDE open next year as Tanner is gone no matter what next year.
5. Luckily we have a whole team of coaches who are professionals doing this all the time. Everyone was confused when PJ brought Tanner with him and he will go down with numerous Gopher records. He seems to know what he's looking for. Recruiting HS QBs is probably the hardest position to recruit (look at all the top guys every single year who bust). Give it a shot.

Interesting thought here. Is it because you think the scout teams provide a better level of competition than the starters of our various opponents do?
I don’t think a handful of snaps throughout the season does much. A year of practice provides a lot more. I think plenty of QBs have come in and have been successful without much or any game experience.

WV fan base sounding like Nebraska fans after that beat down. Hate their coach, qb and the Gophers physicality. A friend who’s a long time WV fan wants Rossi as the HC for them now.

I am watching the DVR of the broadcast now, and that WV touchdown drive was total BS.

Nubin had his hand on the receiver's hip when the ball was dropped end the end zone but he in no way moved or turned the WR. That PI was complete BS, as I suspected from my seat on Tuesday.

The second call right after on Walley was pretty weak as well.

This game should have been 35-3, not 18-6.

West Virginia’s offense got beat up so badly that both their starting QB and a top WR have already entered the transfer portal. Wow

Could be Fleck fired Sanford for more than poor game plans and worse play calling. He was also the QB coach for two guys who apparently didn't get any better over the past two years.

Top Bottom