***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS UNLV SO CAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
As Coach Johnson said, it's always good to play for a championship, we get that opportunity tonight. UNLV doesn't have Grandma Ma Larry Johnson, JR Rider, Greg Anthony, Stacy Augmon and the Tark isn't on the sidelines, but they do have Lon Kruger's son.

We need much better production out of Battle and Garcia, the former still getting his basketball legs under him. Pound it to Payne if he's dominant like last game.

If we get a big lead we need to put a team away.

Let's go get ourselves a 'chip!

GET 'ER DONE JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNLV is experienced, has multiple transfers from Power-5 schools, and beat Dayton last week. Gophers need to be ready and focused for this one. What I want to see tonight...

1) Better flow on offense
2) Garcia to be more assertive
3) Hit 65% or better free throws

UNLV is experienced, has multiple transfers from Power-5 schools, and beat Dayton last week. Gophers need to be ready and focused for this one. What I want to see tonight...
noting: dayton was up by 10 at the half and lost by 8.

1) Better flow on offense
2) Garcia to be more assertive
3) Hit 65% or better free throws
Good list- I will add...

More of the same from Payne
A frosh guard having a breakout night (Henley or Carrington)
Battle 40% + from 3pt range

UNLV starts 4 guards and a center. They turned Dayton over 24 times. Taking care of the ball will be key. If we try to dribble through pressure we are going to have problems. Move the ball.
muoka (6'10") and iwuakor (6'7") will probably split the time at center

guards go 6'6", 6'4", 6'4" and 6'3"

how will johnson and staff have battle and garcia defend guards?

guards gilbert and harkless are the primary scorers. both fouled out of the dayton game in the last minute of that game

guards gilbert and harkless are the primary scorers. both fouled out of the dayton game in the last minute of that game
Lot of zone?

Contrasting battle of styles, think what we will need to do is mix alot of man and zone vs these guys they can't speed us up and cause TO's if they don't make shots. As a team they're shooting below 30% from three. On the other side, they won't have the size to guard Dawson, Payne and Battle on a consistent basis either, take care of ball, rebound, don't let them get out and run.

Are the guards quick? Do they penetrate a lot? What type of offense do they run?

Likely won’t watch all of it with plans early tomorrow. Heard the box score is just as good anyway. A couple beers and a second wind may change my viewing plans.

UNLV is not a good match-up for the Gophers. I expect a Gopher L unless we shoot very well, somehow take advantage of our size and find a way to limit TO's.

This will be a huge test as I expect UNLV to use high ball pressure D with some press or trap. I expect BJ to use a lot of zone and force them to shoot 3's which they have not been that good at.

We have to get the ball inside, post up Battle and Garcia and pound it down low to PP.

We will see how well coached we are with this contest.

I don’t think Gophers-UNLV can match Wisconsin 43, Dayton 42, but tonight could be a similar slog fest. Will either team be able to put the ball in the basket?

High 50s maybe?
A win is a win. But I still don't want to pattern ourselves after them. I'm willing to gamble that Coach Johnson can build a team with the types of players he's recruiting.

I look forward to watching what almost was the 1990 Final four matchup. Moses scurry isn't walking through that door!

if haskell and gilbert get in early foul trouble, i think the gophers will run away with this. when those two are sitting, unlv doesn't have much

if haskell and gilbert get in early foul trouble, i think the gophers will run away with this. when those two are sitting, unlv doesn't have much
West coast refs. I wouldn’t bet on them getting in foul trouble first.

UNLV is not a good match-up for the Gophers. I expect a Gopher L unless we shoot very well, somehow take advantage of our size and find a way to limit TO's.

This will be a huge test as I expect UNLV to use high ball pressure D with some press or trap. I expect BJ to use a lot of zone and force them to shoot 3's which they have not been that good at.

We have to get the ball inside, post up Battle and Garcia and pound it down low to PP.

We will see how well coached we are with this contest.
Serious question. What is a good matchup for this team?

Shouldn’t their lack of height and length also be an advantage to us? Height at every position is clearly the direction Ben wanted to go with this roster, so why shouldn’t this be a strength for us to exploit?

Top Bottom