***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD***

I saw 3 Rutgers chins drop after the McBrayer 3pt

Dorsey running the show nicely. Gaining more and more confidence.

He seems to try to one man show it a little too much. Looks like he was forcing it when he didn't have open lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King has managed to keep from Vermeiling during this interview. I would grade it as a C/C+.

That last shot could have been held.

Meh. Keeps the clock moving. Defender could have stood back if he wanted to end the game, but he pressed on D to make macbrayer move. No ill will on either side I am sure. It's already forgotten.

He seems to try to one man show it a little too much. Looks like he was forcing it when he didn't have open lanes.

hopefully he'll learn when to go full speed, pull up for jumper and dish off.....he really needs to improve his jumper

It was ugly at times but I think we'll take a win whenever we can get it.

Pretty ugly game at times but its a win. Gophers really played with no energy at all the first 13 minutes or so and were still able to win by 20. Thought at times guys forced some shots/plays and that caused some of the bad turnovers. Free throw shooting wasn't very good in the 1st half and we had 4 or 5 more 3s go halfway down and roll out too. I thought the reffing was bad both ways just some real puzzling calls, quick jump ball calls and more than I've seen in any non high school game in a long time. Also seemed like they didn't want to call any fouls on the floor in the 1st half especially when there was quite a bit of holding and bumping on drives and cuts. McBrayer's shot has improved throughout the year and you can tell he has been working on it. Murphy was very active and just outworked Rutgers guys deserved the double-double. The defense forced a lot of turnovers/deflections especially in the 2nd half and I liked the way the team played on the fastbreak for the most part. A chance to keep the streak going at Illinois Sunday.

I assume they keep track of defensive deflections; McBreyer must have a bunch.

It's starting to piss me off how so many 'people' don't realize the future of this program. Not a good year but we are on the right track.

Joey sees it, why not the others?

I assume they keep track of defensive deflections; McBreyer must have a bunch.

It's starting to piss me off how so many 'people' don't realize the future of this program. Not a good year but we are on the right track.

Joey sees it, why not the others?

I agree that the future is bright, but don't forget who we played tonight. Lets see how we do against Wisconsin and Ill on the road before we get to excited. I been fooled to many times before.

Joey King's rebounding, especially on the defensive end, has been vastly improved the past two games from what I have seen the majority of the season. He's putting a body on somebody, but most importantly he's going aggressively to the ball.

Lots of good moments from Mason, Murphy, and McBrayer and I am pretty confident in that trio going forward. If the program was in a more solid state, I would love to see what McBrayer could become at PG as JR/SR. As it stands, he'll probably be an off guard for most of his career but I'd argue he sees the floor better than anyone on the roster.

Another rough outing for Bakary Konate, hopefully he can improve in the off season.

I agree that the future is bright, but don't forget who we played tonight. Lets see how we do against Wisconsin and Ill on the road before we get to excited. I been fooled to many times before.

I was not basing my comment on just this game.

We all have been fooled before! We're Gopher fans!

However, you cannot disregard how well these guys have played and how much heart they have shown in most of the games keeping it close against the top Big Ten teams. I see a lot to like from this group going forward! The three M's, Dorsey, Gilbert, Fitz, Lynch and the incoming freshmen will be very competitive and exciting next year!

I bet we either beat Wisky or lose a heartbreaker. Those guys are going to play extremely hard for Joey.

It was ugly at times but I think we'll take a win whenever we can get it.

That one sequence where it ended up with Buggs skidding on his ass and about 3 or 4 other guys on the floor was 6th grade-worthy. Even Red Panda screwed up. BTW, didn't she supposedly retire? My wife is very happy to see her back. Between Red Panda, free throw clanking, the popcorn stand, and Kiss Cam she was entertained enough so renewing for next year shouldn't be an issue with her. Was sort of worried until these late wins.

That one sequence where it ended up with Buggs skidding on his ass and about 3 or 4 other guys on the floor was 6th grade-worthy. Even Red Panda screwed up. BTW, didn't she supposedly retire? My wife is very happy to see her back. Between Red Panda, free throw clanking, the popcorn stand, and Kiss Cam she was entertained enough so renewing for next year shouldn't be an issue with her. Was sort of worried until these late wins.

Definitely good to have the Red Panda back, and "unretired". Think I've seen her about 15 times, and that's only the second time I've seen her misfire. Never gets old, and no matter the size of the crowd they always respond well to her.

Joey King's rebounding, especially on the defensive end, has been vastly improved the past two games from what I have seen the majority of the season. He's putting a body on somebody, but most importantly he's going aggressively to the ball.

Lots of good moments from Mason, Murphy, and McBrayer and I am pretty confident in that trio going forward. If the program was in a more solid state, I would love to see what McBrayer could become at PG as JR/SR. As it stands, he'll probably be an off guard for most of his career but I'd argue he sees the floor better than anyone on the roster.

Another rough outing for Bakary Konate, hopefully he can improve in the off season.

Yes, Joey's new found aggressiveness in going after boards in recent weeks has been a revelation. It is also slightly irritating because one wonders why he couldn't have played that way before.

Agree about McBrayer. I would also prefer Dorsey over Mason as a point guard. I hope Pitino rethinks the idea of Mason as the starting point guard next year.

Also agree on Bakary. I actually thought that Gaston was more effective in his limited minutes than Bakary last night.

Yes, Joey's new found aggressiveness in going after boards in recent weeks has been a revelation. It is also slightly irritating because one wonders why he couldn't have played that way before.

Agree about McBrayer. I would also prefer Dorsey over Mason as a point guard. I hope Pitino rethinks the idea of Mason as the starting point guard next year.

Also agree on Bakary. I actually thought that Gaston was more effective in his limited minutes than Bakary last night.

I don't think it will really matter in the end. Dorsey will be the point guard when he is in the ballgame whether Mason is in or not.

Congratulations, Mike

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Either are good options. I really like Mason at PG. He doesn't really ever get rattled. That's a nice quality in a PG.

the kids

I don't think it will really matter in the end. Dorsey will be the point guard when he is in the ballgame whether Mason is in or not.

Dorsey is a great driver at the pg spot. He has yet to how any pg instincts as far as getting easy baskets for anyone else.

Mason is steady and a great leader, he can do everything. He reminds me of Tyus Jones, in that althought not a burner, they both really switch gears and get to the rim. Not as athletic as Dorsey and McBrayer.

McBrayer probably has the most NBA potential as a long pg, and his outside shot is looking better all the time. Because of our lack of height he will mostly play off the ball though.

See these 3 finishing games even next year. So important playing this small to have a great rebounder at the 4 in Murphy. Hopefully Lynch can improve as a rebounder to go with his shot-blocking.

Dorsey is a great driver at the pg spot. He has yet to how any pg instincts as far as getting easy baskets for anyone else.

Mason is steady and a great leader, he can do everything. He reminds me of Tyus Jones, in that althought not a burner, they both really switch gears and get to the rim. Not as athletic as Dorsey and McBrayer.

McBrayer probably has the most NBA potential as a long pg, and his outside shot is looking better all the time. Because of our lack of height he will mostly play off the ball though.

See these 3 finishing games even next year. So important playing this small to have a great rebounder at the 4 in Murphy. Hopefully Lynch can improve as a rebounder to go with his shot-blocking.

If Pitino likes likes interchangeable guards (I think he does), he's gonna' have 'em next year. Dorsey obviously will have to be more of a PG, but McBrayer, Mason, and I assume Coffey all will be able to handle the ball. Gophers won't have to rely on 1 or 2 guys to handle the ball all the time.

Personally, I think next year McBrayer will end up being the guy we have with the ball in his hands at the end of a close game or the end of the shot clock. Good size, likes to attack the rim, and good passer for the kick-out (think Mason on the wing) if they collapse on him.

Mason having the best stretch of play he's ever had and we want him to change roles... I think I remember this with another certain combo guard.....

Pitino, early in his time here, stated he wanted to have options to bring the ball down the court. Next year he'll have 4 maybe 5.

Mason
McBrayer
Dorsey
Coffey
Fitz (I know nothing about his handles/ability to advance the ball)

At least 4 of those 5 COULD confidently handle pg, that's an awesome problem to have.

If Pitino likes likes interchangeable guards (I think he does), he's gonna' have 'em next year. Dorsey obviously will have to be more of a PG, but McBrayer, Mason, and I assume Coffey all will be able to handle the ball. Gophers won't have to rely on 1 or 2 guys to handle the ball all the time.

Personally, I think next year McBrayer will end up being the guy we have with the ball in his hands at the end of a close game or the end of the shot clock. Good size, likes to attack the rim, and good passer for the kick-out (think Mason on the wing) if they collapse on him.
I agree. McBrayer had 7 assists last night (Dorsey had 5) to go with his 14 pts and 6 rebounds. I think we've seen a steady improvement in his decision making, and given his team-leading 36 minutes, Pitino must think so too.

Its nice to have a good question as the season winds down - can they finish strong? Looking forward to the games against Illinois and Wisconsin.

I don't know where to put this and I'm curious. Do you guys think Jordan Murphy is a top tier big man in the Big10 right now?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom