***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD***

Each game is kind of a match up problem, sometimes in the extreme. I don't think the new 'kids' had an idea how hard it was going to be to make the jump to light speed in the BT. Our problems at center are not just our problems at center. This forces everyone to play differently. Mason is a disher without anyone to dish to half the time (or more). The lack of viable post presence weakens the rest of our offense - and defense for that matter. I'm not going to complain about King - he's not our problem. What he is asked to do is our problem, and its unavoidable. His lack of rebounding instincts contributes to Murphy's fouls. He's the most obvious offensive weapon, so opponents just have to make sure he does't get open, esp. since he needs to be really, really open.
There we have it - no inside game and no outside game - what exactly are they supposed to work harder at? Defense, and we see that happening. Pitino corrected the over-reliance on the 3 from the Illinois game, and they finally drove to the basket and maybe out performed Purdue in the paint - a miracle given Hammond. This is why Pitino said they have to 'pitch a perfect game to win'.

In addition to the players learning curve, there's no debate that the coach is learning how to coach with the big boys and come up with game plans this team can execute. Personally, I think we're seeing progress there, too. There's no reason to argue with the folks who didn't think we should have hired a less experienced coach who was going to have to learn so much to be successful; he's here and if he is learning on the job, we should be glad.

Well said. That's a really solid post on the situation.

Define play hard. Are you saying this team doesn't try all of the time? I think that's a load of crap. You can play hard and still get beat by 30. I see a young team that makes a lot of mistakes, gets themselves out of position, and misses shots. I don't remember seeing a team that wasn't trying.

They have no clue on what it takes to play hard at that level, getting in position on defense, everyone screening out a man on the boards,, moving without the ball on offense, crashing the offensive boards, etc., etc., they have a very long way to go.

They have no clue on what it takes to play hard at that level, getting in position on defense, everyone screening out a man on the boards,, moving without the ball on offense, crashing the offensive boards, etc., etc., they have a very long way to go.

As I said that doesn't mean they are not playing hard. Being out of position and making freshman mistakes is different than not playing hard.

Top Bottom