***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS OHIO STATE BTT ROUND 2 IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
Survive and advance. That’s what March is made for. On to Ohio State who we crushed just two months ago. But a lot has changed in that time.

We can’t play much worse than we did today, can we?

I hope this isn’t the last time I type this:

GET ‘ER DONE PITINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually think they have a chance. Carr is due for a better game shooting wise and ohio state has been slumping. Let's get In their heads and get the W

I actually think they have a chance. Carr is due for a better game shooting wise and ohio state has been slumping. Let's get In their heads and get the W
Obviously anything can happen but I don't like our chances to beat them again. Robbins played out of his mind in that victory with 27 points and 14 rebounds. We don't have anyone down low right now that can even come close to carrying the team like that. So assuming Robbins is done for the year, it would take a pretty big miracle to beat Ohio State again, even with their current struggles.

But hey, you never know....crazier things have happened.

And those crazier things are???
Obviously anything can happen but I don't like our chances to beat them again. Robbins played out of his mind in that victory with 27 points and 14 rebounds. We don't have anyone down low right now that can even come close to carrying the team like that. So assuming Robbins is done for the year, it would take a pretty big miracle to beat Ohio State again, even with their current struggles.

But hey, you never know....crazier things have happened.
And those crazier things are what?????

Not that crazy. OSU has lost 4 in a row and at 12-8 just a 5th place team.
Just a 5th place team? Dude, that is like Everest for Pitino.

Will a hobbled Robbins play? Cause a limited Curry isn't going to get 12 rebounds against OSU.

We are going to need more from Ihnen and Johnson without Robbins and at least 15 min from Freeman.

Also, some shooting would be nice! If Carr, Williams, Mashburn, and Johnson could all shoot close to 50% from the field for once, just once at the same time we could pull this out.

Prediction:

Carr: 25pts
Williams: 14pts
Mashburn: 12 pts
Johnson: 11pts 8reb
Ihnen: 10pts 9reb
Curry: 4pts 6reb
Gach: 5pts
Freeman: 4pts 5reb 3 fouls

Gophers 85 - OSU 80 OT

or

We lose by 18.

Otis use to be positive but gets more likes being negative.

Pretty sure Richard will be using a white towel and will throw it on the court...

Pretty sure Richard will be using a white towel and will throw it on the court...
Pitino would freeze like Rocky and watch the Gophers get bludgeoned to death. Despite his assistants yelling, “Just throw the damn towel!”

Just a 5th place team? Dude, that is like Everest for Pitino.

Will a hobbled Robbins play? Cause a limited Curry isn't going to get 12 rebounds against OSU.

We are going to need more from Ihnen and Johnson without Robbins and at least 15 min from Freeman.

Also, some shooting would be nice! If Carr, Williams, Mashburn, and Johnson could all shoot close to 50% from the field for once, just once at the same time we could pull this out.

Prediction:

Carr: 25pts
Williams: 14pts
Mashburn: 12 pts
Johnson: 11pts 8reb
Ihnen: 10pts 9reb
Curry: 4pts 6reb
Gach: 5pts
Freeman: 4pts 5reb 3 fouls

Gophers 85 - OSU 80 OT

or

We lose by 18.
It is obvious Pitino (with good reason) loves Curry and wants to play him despite how limited he is. I am glad that Pitino has been good to Curry. However, he plays Curry far beyond the minutes he deserves for the level of play he brings and that has hurt the team and the development of others like Freeman and Ihnen.

And those crazier things are???

And those crazier things are what?????

Good question! Going back over the Big Ten tournament since the league expanded to 14 teams, I find the following:

2019: 13th place Nebraska beat Rutgers in the Wednesday round and went on to beat 5th place Maryland in the next game. Same ranking situation as us.

2018: 14th place Rutgers beat Minnesota in the Wednesday round and went on to beat 6th place Indiana in the next game

2016: Both Wednesday winners (Nebraska and Illinois) went on to win their next games (Nebraska over 6th place Wisconsin and Illinois over 5th place Iowa)

2015: 13th place Penn State beat Nebraska in the Wednesday round and then beat 5th place Iowa (actually in a three way tie for third in terms of conference record) in the next game

So, it hasn't been uncommon at all for a Wednesday winner to win the next game. 2017 is the only year with a 14 team field where it didn't happen (of course, there was no second round in 2020).

Now, I don't know if any of those previous Wednesday winners were without critical players like we are. I think last year's Gopher team would have been more capable than this one of pulling it off if they had gotten the chance. Coincidentally, that 5th place team also would have been Ohio State and that OSU team also lost to the Gophers in their only regular season meeting.

It is obvious Pitino (with good reason) loves Curry and wants to play him despite how limited he is. I am glad that Pitino has been good to Curry. However, he plays Curry far beyond the minutes he deserves for the level of play he brings and that has hurt the team and the development of others like Freeman and Ihnen.

Although I agree with you in general about the Ihnen/Freeman vs. Curry point, Curry actually had a pretty decent game last night so I don't think the team was hurt by him playing as many minutes as he did. The Rutgers game was a different matter.

The Gophers matched up very well with Ohio State when Robbins was playing, as they didn't have the size to play with him. Without Robbins, I don't like the matchup at all as Liddell will probably go off, but maybe they can surprise us.

Although I agree with you in general about the Ihnen/Freeman vs. Curry point, Curry actually had a pretty decent game last night so I don't think the team was hurt by him playing as many minutes as he did. The Rutgers game was a different matter.
He did have a good game considering where he is at. But the problem you see with him is that he is so short and vertically limited for a center that we put no one inside on offense, because you cannot feed him low. This adds to the pressure they can put on Carr and Mashburn on the perimeter. Same thing on defense, he can't stop an opposing big.

We lose by as many minutes as Gach plays. After getting me excited the first 3 games, he's done almost nothing since but dribble the ball off his leg and make lazy passes that turn into turnovers. Could we give Mitchell 5-10 minutes of his time to see what we might have there?

Top Bottom