***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS NEBRASKA BTT WIN OR SEASON'S OVER IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

This popped in my head while watching that art -

This song brings back memories for us old timers from nearly 50 years ago, when fans showed up early to watch the Bill Musselman pre-game warm-up show. Turn your volume up to enjoy a fun 20 minutes at this YouTube link:

Going to be very interesting if Henley stays or not. I don't feel good about it.
outside of Garcia & Payne he is basically #3 for me on who we need to keep on board!!

1. Garcia
2. Payne
3. Henley
4. JOJ
5. Christie
6A. Carrington
6B. Ihnen
6C. Fox
9. Betts
10. TT

i will say that the leadership that Ihnen and Fox bring to the table should not be forgotten as you need guys like them. so i will bundle them up with Carrington

He was on Tominaga because he is our best perimeter defender. Against that kid you are going to run through picks all night and if your team mates don't help you are going to get burned. He did get lost on a couple back doors though.
I agree, but he is not good off the ball at all. That’s our biggest struggle overall defensively.

In all fairness to Henley, Nebraska was running him through a hell of a lot of screens to get that guy open. He did get best on a couple of back door cuts though.
I agree, and he can’t get lost on the back doors - that was 8 points on layups that shouldn’t happen. He also would get caught watching the ball and then his man beat him on the screen so he was chasing. He can learn that, but surprising he struggles with it so much still at this point in year. It’s why he sat so much earlier in year, because he was such a liability on defense even more than his turnovers. He has so much potential though, I’d love to see him stay.

Go crazy all you want but the illegal screen was the correct call and the other was a 50/50 call that went our way for once although the guard lowered his shoulder so imo correct call.
They don’t get many right.

He was on Tominaga because he is our best perimeter defender. Against that kid you are going to run through picks all night and if your team mates don't help you are going to get burned. He did get lost on a couple back doors though.
Good take on having to guard Tominaga. He reminds me of the Energizer Bunny only a lot quicker. As far as getting lost on the back door, that happened to a couple of other Gophers also.

This is not a shot at Ben specifically because seems like other coaches may make the same mistake, but 2 bad coaching decisions between Hoiberg and him last night.

1st - Hoiberg chooses to use his last timeout with 1 second on the clock to end the game between free throws.
2nd- Ben chooses not to miss intentionally and gives NEB a shot to set up the heave to Tominaga.

What were we doing here guys?

This is not a shot at Ben specifically because seems like other coaches may make the same mistake, but 2 bad coaching decisions between Hoiberg and him last night.

1st - Hoiberg chooses to use his last timeout with 1 second on the clock to end the game between free throws.
2nd- Ben chooses not to miss intentionally and gives NEB a shot to set up the heave to Tominaga.

What were we doing here guys?
Maximizing thrill and risk and therefore entertainment value?

There’s a chance he never turns out, but his ceiling is sooooo high. Has all the pieces you need, gotta take shots on guys like that and hope you can turn them into a star. Those are the types of guys that can turn around programs
Henley's three point percentage is higher than Battle's. His overall shooting percentage is roughly the same as Battle. We are not "taking a shot" with Henley. He and Payne are the best of the freshmen going forward.

I like your post, but isn't Payne the "center who can bang" already?
Yes he is but he won't often be on the floor more than 25 minutes and sometimes much less due to foul problems. The second highest priority in the portal is a physically strong post backup.

are we trying to say CBJ doesn’t deserve a T? Who cares who called it…it was absolutely deserved. If Hoover was going after a ref…we would demand a T…and we wouldn’t care what ref called it
You don't deserve a T, you earn it. Ben earned it and got rewarded. At that moment we had seven fouls, Nebby had two. Five minutes later it was Nebby 10, Gophs eight.

You don't deserve a T, you earn it.
So that’s what happened against Elk River during a B squad game my Sophomore year, when I threw the ball against the back wall after a particularly onerous foul was called .
Ben earned it and got rewarded.
I was rewarded with the bench the rest of the big the game.
At that moment we had seven fouls, Nebby had two. Five minutes later it was Nebby 10, Gophs eight.
The next time we faced the Elks at our gym I simply slammed it as hard as I could against the floor, expecting a different result.

One of their players asked, “does he have anger issues?”

My teammate replied, “nah, he’s just a little nuts.”

Last edited:

So that’s what happened against Elk River during a B squad game my Sophomore year, when I threw the ball against the back wall after a particularly onerous foul was called .

I was rewarded with the bench the rest big the game.

The next time we faced the Elks at our gym I simply slammed it as hard as I could against the floor, expecting a different result.

One of their players asked, “does he have anger issues?”

My teammate replied, “nah, he’s just a little nuts.”
Was this around 2007-8? My son played for the Elks and I seem to recall something like this.

Henley's three point percentage is higher than Battle's. His overall shooting percentage is roughly the same as Battle. We are not "taking a shot" with Henley. He and Payne are the best of the freshmen going forward.
Sure, looking now, it’s much more clear that he’s talented, but there were a lot of points in the season where he looked very lost. Whether by choice or necessity, Ben played him through those growing pains, and we’re seeing some of the potential.

I meant “taking a shot” more in terms of recruiting guys of his mold, and being willing to accept some of the painful mistakes they make in order to help them grow into a star.

Excited to see him next year.

Top Bottom