***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS MINNESOTA ST IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

The guy who should of been hired as the Gopher hockey coach just shit kicked and embarrassed the f out of the coach that got hired.
Noticed that on Gopherpucklive and on this board that you're the only one moaning about the coaching hire. Wisconsin had a bad game yesterday yet their fans aren't complaining about the coaches etc. They just acknowledge that they had a bad game. For whatever reason it happens. Here we get out of shape, cuss and moan. Yes I expect us to be better and so does Motzko. He'll have a better team yet hopefully.

Noticed that on Gopherpucklive and on this board that you're the only one moaning about the coaching hire. Wisconsin had a bad game yesterday yet their fans aren't complaining about the coaches etc. They just acknowledge that they had a bad game. For whatever reason it happens. Here we get out of shape, cuss and moan. Yes I expect us to be better and so does Motzko. He'll have a better team yet hopefully.
Lot Of young guys on team, we’ll be back

Ps: Boys gave us 31 games of entertainment during a long winter—thank you!

Won the Big Ten Championship.

Unfortunately the Big Ten just appears to be a bit weaker as a whole right now. Really think that they'll need some non-conference games this upcoming year in order to gauge where they are at and what they need to do in order to adjust and play outside of the Big Ten.

This team like most Gopher hockey teams lacks toughness. When they run into a team like MSUM they are more often then not going to lose. Go SCSU Huskies!

Looks like the Big Ten was overmatched in hockey, just like basketball. How do the next set of recruits look for the Gophers? Is there a good site for that?

When the job came open I said I’d hire Hastings over Motzko. What he’s done at Mankato is much more impressive than what Motzko did at SCSU. It’s only year 3 but Motzko’s team was an utter embarrassment today. Look what Larson just did with SCSU. I really hope Motzko turns it around and makes a Frozen Four or 3 and wins one, but today was awful. He may be the 5th best D1 hockey coach in Minnesota right now, hopefully that changes. I think Coyle probably listened to the boosters and those with influence around the program like Nanny, maybe Lucia. Motzko can recruit, but his coaching when it comes to post season ain’t that great.

Were never a Frozen Four contender imo. They lack an edge to their play. Everybody wants to play pretty, almost all the time. The early 2000s teams could play any style because they had toughness and skill, which lead to national titles. This group? When it comes down to puck-battles and grit, they are almost always lacking. Saw it throughout the season and again tonight. Bottom line is Mankato is a far, far better team than this group.

Lucia didn't do us too many favors with his recruiting in my opinion in addition to the fact I'm not sure he was a good coach in his latter years. Didn't seem to be enjoying it. I believe we will get stronger.

As to coaching, Motzs to me was the key to our team when we won the last two championships under Lucia. After Motzs left, we didn't do so well. I believe he is a better coach than people realize he is.

Lucia didn't do us too many favors with his recruiting in my opinion in addition to the fact I'm not sure he was a good coach in his latter years. Didn't seem to be enjoying it. I believe we will get stronger.

As to coaching, Motzs to me was the key to our team when we won the last two championships under Lucia. After Motzs left, we didn't do so well. I believe he is a better coach than people realize he is.

Right. Lucia checked out years before he was ousted (he did have the health issues that likely contributed).

Motz is getting the roster where he wants it- without 1/2 of it Edina or Shattuck kids.

The guy who should of been hired as the Gopher hockey coach just shit kicked and embarrassed the f out of the coach that got hired.
The job is tough as the University let the program slide for way too long! I am sure it is a whole different job recruiting for Gopher hockey after years of seeing the other Minnesota hockey programs growing stronger and stronger( Coach Motzko was responsible for one of them) and the U of MN not acting on a coaching change and joining the BIG10! College hockey has changed drastically since ‘02 and ’03!
Thanks Coach Motzko for all your efforts. Thanks to all the players for a successful season! Loved the BIG Tournament win and the win over Omaha! Go Gophers! Can’t wait till October to hopefully get in the arena to see the game in person!
By the way give a little credit to the team for staying healthy!

Plus moving to the smaller sheet of ice at Mariucci will factor in to the type of hockey we play going forward (and maybe the type of player we recruit?.....maybe?)

Were never a Frozen Four contender imo. They lack an edge to their play. Everybody wants to play pretty, almost all the time. The early 2000s teams could play any style because they had toughness and skill, which lead to national titles. This group? When it comes down to puck-battles and grit, they are almost always lacking. Saw it throughout the season and again tonight. Bottom line is Mankato is a far, far better team than this group.

I thought that the Gophers definitely looked the part of a frozen four team this year. Problem is that without a non-conference, we never really got a look at how they stacked up against other conferences. And I think you nailed the issue...that they wanted to play too pretty. The Gophers looked GREAT at times because they have really fast and really skilled players. Unfortunately they lack physicality and that sunk them.

The WCHA is mostly the scraps left over from the new NCHC....and both Bemidji and Mankato worked their Big Ten counterparts (Wisconsin & Minnesota). They just played more aggressive it seemed to me. Particularly in the Bemidji/Wisconsin game. The Beavers put on a really aggressive forecheck that the Badgers were not at all prepared for and were able to turn two turnovers into goals that way.

I'd think that Motzko coming from SCSU would have prepared better for that....but maybe he's still catching up his roster to a place in which we can make a legitimate NC push.

Not a secret that I'm also a Huskies fan (alumni). Really looking forward to how that game against Mankato goes. Again....the WCHA/NCHC matchup is kind of unknown. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't expect a WCHA team to make a lot of noise, but I'm also not adept when it comes to evaluating these things....so what would I know.

Anywho....praying for the Huskies to make the championship. If Mankato comes out victorious....I'll 100% be pulling for them. Cool story about a team that up until this year had never won an NCAA Tournament game....and is playing in a conference that maybe doesn't get enough respect.

Plus moving to the smaller sheet of ice at Mariucci will factor in to the type of hockey we play going forward (and maybe the type of player we recruit?.....maybe?)
Is this actually happening? I always see people talk about it but I thought it was just talk?

Other than being a more common ice size (personally I like the olympic size), what tangible benefit is there that would make it worth the cost? Will they re-do the seats in Mariucci as well and get more? Will it have tangible energy savings? etc.

Is this actually happening? I always see people talk about it but I thought it was just talk?

Other than being a more common ice size (personally I like the olympic size), what tangible benefit is there that would make it worth the cost? Will they re-do the seats in Mariucci as well and get more? Will it have tangible energy savings? etc.
Continues to be an issue that hasn't been finalized one way or another. Along time ago I read where the water table was an issue. I'm sure they wanted to dig deeper in order that the seats go down smoothly as well for consistency as to the stands (slope). I personally don't want a situation like the old Civic Center.

TCF had the same problem where they couldn't go deeper into the ground and have it like the Metrodome set up where when you walked into the dome, you had a choice of walking down to your seats in the lower level or walk up to the 2nd level that would have been nice. As it is you have a long walk up in both Mariucci and TCF before entering the facility.

I would think the design process should have been done by now. Supposedly private funds have been raised as well. Wonder what the hold up is. Direct email to Coyle?

Continues to be an issue that hasn't been finalized one way or another. Along time ago I read where the water table was an issue. I'm sure they wanted to dig deeper in order that the seats go down smoothly as well for consistency as to the stands (slope). I personally don't want a situation like the old Civic Center.

TCF had the same problem where they couldn't go deeper into the ground and have it like the Metrodome set up where when you walked into the dome, you had a choice of walking down to your seats in the lower level or walk up to the 2nd level that would have been nice. As it is you have a long walk up in both Mariucci and TCF before entering the facility.

I would think the design process should have been done by now. Supposedly private funds have been raised as well. Wonder what the hold up is. Direct email to Coyle?
Found this: https://goldengopherfund.com/priorities/3m-arena-at-mariucci/index.html

Phase I was completed last year when we opened a newly renovated home team locker room for our student-athletes, a project completely funded through generous supporter contributions.

We are currently looking for additional investments in Phase II, which will completely overhaul the existing weight room in the building, along with adding skills development equipment such as shooting stations that have become the standard at collegiate hockey rinks throughout Minnesota and the country. These facilities are crucial to not only remain competitive in recruiting the best prospective student-athletes to Minnesota, but also to developing those student-athletes to their highest potential while they compete for the Gophers.

The final pieces of this project, Phase III, are the future modernization of the arena's ice sheet, which will likely be reduced in size from its current Olympic size, and the addition of an M Club Room within the arena for student-athlete alumni from all sports to enjoy the same amenities at Gopher Men's Hockey games that they enjoy at Gopher Football games at TCF Bank Stadium.
So sounds like it's likely that they will eventually reduce the ice sheet, but haven't finalized one way or the other (likely since Phase III is still at least a few years out).

Top Bottom