***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS MARYLAND IN-GAME THREAD***

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh my god - that was so much work. I was tempted to go home after halftime so I could just celebrate how good they played the first half. I am so impressed with the free-throw shooting. My legs were shaking in the final minutes - I don't know how they step up and make those.
The way they held up to the best that Maryland could throw at them - full court press etc. and held their composure, leading the entire game. We were in the stands in front of Joey during his interview. While we couldn't hear him, it was clear he was pouring his heart out on national TV while the crowd chanted "Joey, Joey" all around him.

BTW - We just watched the ESPN highlights - they didn't have a single basket by the gophers to show - presumably because they didn't expect them to win.

spot on

That exchange where Mcbrayer made a bad pass to mason in the trap and then mason dribbled through the trap and lost the ball and then Mcbrayer stole the ball from Trimble was a thing of pure emotion. Soooo much low and soooo much high right there the game was essentially in the balance for a good 5 seconds or so with either team coming out of that exchange having an expoentially higher chance of winning. The ball finally bounced our way and it's because Mcbrayer didn't hang his head and Mason didn't either by knocking down his free throws.

This was a crazy exchange. Glad McBrayer was able to get the ball back.

This was a crazy exchange. Glad McBrayer was able to get the ball back.

I went from wanting to throw my computer through the TV to kissing my dog in a matter of 2.5 seconds.

Geez, the one game I couldn't make it to, and it had to be this one! What a thrill to get home from our banquet and learn that the Gophs had beaten the Terps! This is some kind of feeling. The King interview: my god, how many times am I going to watch that over the next few days?

I need to find some highlights! Are they posted anywhere yet?

So much to say after this game:

1. McBrayer has improved so much this season. He still tries to rely on his athleticism a lot, which won't work every tim e in the B1G, but it is nice to see him knocking down long range shots. We need him to be a decent outside shooter.

2. Mason is literally Andre Hollins 2.0 -- Dre maybe a better shooter, but Mason is so much faster compared to Dre post ankle injury

3. Murphy hitting his FTs is awesome. Hope this trend continues. Such a special talent for the Gophers.

4. Near the end of the game, Dorsey went up and got denied near the rim (I think by Dodd, but I could be mistaken). Did it look like to anyone else that Dorsey was trying to dunk it? Didn't realize he had hops like that, nor the audacity to try and slam it with bigs in his way.

5. Gilbert seems to be a great presence on the court.

6. These young kids all look like they are best friends. It might sound lame saying that. But it's rare to see this type of camaraderie.

7. I hope Buggs doesn't turn into Squirrel next season. Buggs might not be the best player on the court, or the brightest, but he seems invested in the program, which is a good thing to see from our only junior.

8. Can't wait for next season.

Geez, the one game I couldn't make it to, and it had to be this one! What a thrill to get home from our banquet and learn that the Gophs had beaten the Terps! This is some kind of feeling. The King interview: my god, how many times am I going to watch that over the next few days?

Don't look for them on ESPN - their highlights didn't include anything but the steal by McBrayer...
Sorry you missed it - it was fabulous!!!

Geez, the one game I couldn't make it to, and it had to be this one! What a thrill to get home from our banquet and learn that the Gophs had beaten the Terps! This is some kind of feeling. The King interview: my god, how many times am I going to watch that over the next few days? I need to find some highlights! Are they posted anywhere yet?

Replay on BTN at 1 am

The king interview was so emotional and just amazing. Really summed up the season. With Morris gone and King the only senior, he stands there after knocking down the clutch free throws and in tears he gives all the credit to the fans - thanking them for all their support through this season. Then he praises the freshman and sophomores for never giving up and working so hard and improving all year. Doesn't say one thing about himself. He just gave total credit to his younger team mates and the loyal fans. Top notch. Total class. Nice play Joey!

I went from wanting to throw my computer through the TV to kissing my dog in a matter of 2.5 seconds.

My dog steers clear of me when the Gophers are playing. It's the only time he ever sees me pissed, he's figured it out by now

Well, that makes the game against Rutgers a bit anti-climactic. No battle of 0-14 teams ;-)

At times yes. But thought we got a raw deal at times as well. McBrayer's 4th foul was really bad I thought.

During Maryland's biggest run about 3/4 of the game through, Maryland was getting a lot of ticky-tack calls and getting to the line for it. The "foul" on King when Sulaimon (sp?) barreled right through him seemed very poor from the replay, and that was a HUGE momentum gainer for Maryland. All in all, the refs called a fair game, gave the Gophers a couple of toss-up OOB calls; I wouldn't call it home cookin' but when you're 0-13 and taking on a top dog, I'll take it.

During Maryland's biggest run about 3/4 of the game through, Maryland was getting a lot of ticky-tack calls and getting to the line for it. The "foul" on King when Sulaimon (sp?) barreled right through him seemed very poor from the replay, and that was a HUGE momentum gainer for Maryland. All in all, the refs called a fair game, gave the Gophers a couple of toss-up OOB calls; I wouldn't call it home cookin' but when you're 0-13 and taking on a top dog, I'll take it.

I think Joey did move his foot a little bit as Sulaimon hit him, so you could maybe justify it as a block in that sense, but at the same time it seemed pretty clear that Sulaimon initiated the contact. Like if a defender is back-pedaling and the you lower your shoulder into him, I think it's still supposed to be a charge, even though the defender is moving. So I guess I wasn't super pissed that we didn't get that call, but I think you could justify calling it a charge instead of a block.

WOW Great win, the FUTURE looks awesome!!!!! I am a bit inebriated..:clap:

Top Bottom