***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS INDIANA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Not that it would matter, but it would be nice to see Lil Ricky get a T once in a while. There were half a dozen calls to day where he should have went ape****.

Good effort. If we could have either made FT's, lay-ups or gotten B1G Home Cookin' we'd have won.

Great effort by the team today. It's comforting to have a single digit loss after losing two 25 point blow outs.

This kind of intensity needs to be maintained throughout the rest of the season for me to have optimism about the future.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

IU is 5-0 in conference? I sure didn't see that today. But I'm with Madtown...if they give effort like this the rest of the season I don't care about wins and losses.

IU is 5-0 in conference? I sure didn't see that today. But I'm with Madtown...if they give effort like this the rest of the season I don't care about wins and losses.

IUs second lowest point score this year. Lowest was 69 against UNLV in Hawaii.

Listening to the game on the radio made it difficult to determine.

I think the boys intensity surprised Indiana...but at that initial intensity remained intact for 40 minutes. Baby steps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not that it would matter, but it would be nice to see Lil Ricky get a T once in a while. There were half a dozen calls to day where he should have went ape****.
Looked like Pitino almost tried to in the 1st half after King was called for a block. He was all over Larry Serrano and I wonder if Serrano didn't just let him go because he knew he had called it wrong after he made the call.

Did we give more of an effort, did Indiana have a bad game, or both? Serious question.
I think the boys gave us their A game today. I don't think I can realistically expect more.

I thought the same thing. Sometimes the refs need to know they are screwing up. The blatant favoritism needed to be called out, even if it costs a technical foul.

Looked like totally different team today. Encouraging to watch.

Liked the effort and energy today and it started with the 3 freshman and 2 sophomore starting lineup playing very good defense early. Just left too many points on the floor to turn this game into a win especially at the foul line 19-30 and missing 3 or 4 front ends of the bonus. I know Indiana is a top 25 team and we are really struggling so they are gonna get a call or 2 but I thought they got a bunch today and Pitino definitely the refs know about it today. The Gilbert injury didn't look real good and I'd guess he will be out at least a little while so it will be interesting to see how that changes the starting lineup and rotations. I thought Gilbert was really starting to get comfortable too. He was solid on defense today and seems to be one of the guys that talks more on defense. He also had a few nice hustle plays and seems like he might have a future as one of those glue guys that can contribute in a few different ways.

A dramatic improvement over the past two games. It gives me hope for next year.

Did we get an official diagnosis on Gilbert's hand injury?

Lost all the 50/50 balls and all the 50/50 calls. Missed a lot of free throws. Played good enough defense to win the game but our offense is just stagnant at times which is partly due to not having a center that can catch and also not having enough people to pull the trigger from behind the arc.

One thing I'll agree with the announcers on today is that McBrayer is going to be good when he gets another 30 pounds on him and gets the confidence to hit down an open shot. I'm not sure if he was able to hit jumpers in highschool, he appears to be a confidence issue and unsure of himself right now. But I can see him being so quick to the hole, already has tremendous hops, and once he adds some size he'll be able to absorb contact and finish on those drives to the rack.

Konate kind of reminds me of that actor Harold Russell in the movie The Best Years of Our Lives.

Had something going on today so just watched the replay.

- Losing sucks and today is no different. But good to see a good effort, especially on defense. If we play with this intensity all year, we'll win some games in my opinion.
- Yogi is very good.
- Yogi is also a very good actor and gets a lot of calls.
- How many times this season have we seen two of our own players fighting for a rebound and the ball goes out of bounds? Happened a few times today. Talk guys!
- I like the fact that we were driving a lot today. Good to see. But man did we miss a lot of the shots close to the bucket.
- Good job getting to the foul line. Just need to make more of them as well.
- Sophomore slump for Mason continues. I'm hopeful he'll break out of it at some time. Probably just pressing too much.
- Same Buggs as usual. He makes a few great plays that make you think "wow, he could be really good". Then he does something very stupid.
- Like what I see more and more out of McBrayer. Needs to add weight.
- Apparently hooking is no longer called.
- Does anyone else just want to punch Tom Crean every time you see him? I know I can't be the only one.

Good effort. If we could have either made FT's, lay-ups or gotten B1G Home Cookin' we'd have won.

Well, we had 30 free throws attempt to their 12 so we definitely got our fair share of calls. But, yeah, if they made more of those as well as some of those layups and chip shots, they could have had this one. Good to see the effort for the whole game, much more moving their feet on defense, and much better sharing the ball than usual.

Lost all the 50/50 balls and all the 50/50 calls. Missed a lot of free throws. Played good enough defense to win the game but our offense is just stagnant at times which is partly due to not having a center that can catch and also not having enough people to pull the trigger from behind the arc.

One thing I'll agree with the announcers on today is that McBrayer is going to be good when he gets another 30 pounds on him and gets the confidence to hit down an open shot. I'm not sure if he was able to hit jumpers in highschool, he appears to be a confidence issue and unsure of himself right now. But I can see him being so quick to the hole, already has tremendous hops, and once he adds some size he'll be able to absorb contact and finish on those drives to the rack.

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now admittedly the Gophers are having the meltdown of all meltdowns this year while Indiana doesn't stir the emotions of the Bobby Knight era. However, the idea that we'd play them on a Saturday afternoon with thousands of empty seats and stay away holders of purchased tickets startled me and should terrify the U of M although I think over at the athletic department they're likely running down the litany of excuses for the small crowd. Even when we were winning early and in the game late, the atmosphere was dead. Gopher basketball, which was once counted on for high percentage of capacity crowds that were into the games and made noise, has now become what Gopher football was and still represents to many people, rightly or wrongly. The crowds are shrinking and the core is older and makes little noise while people in their 20s and 30s largely stay away and feel no connection to the team, despite the still visible amount of kids and parents.

This has been building since the academic scandal ripped the heart out of attendance and fan interest in 1999. The U of M has pretty much ignored this growing problem since then and it was only hidden, never solved, during the post Tubby bounce. Now the bottom is falling out. Whoever takes over as athletic director needs to do what Maturi and Teague did not by getting deadly serious about how the basketball program is sold and marketed to the ticket and barn loft buying public while also taking a hard look at the disjointed game production which tries to satisfy traditionalists and younger fans while somehow doing neither. I predict it's unfortunately going to get worse before it gets better.

Now admittedly the Gophers are having the meltdown of all meltdowns this year while Indiana doesn't stir the emotions of the Bobby Knight era. However, the idea that we'd play them on a Saturday afternoon with thousands of empty seats and stay away holders of purchased tickets startled me and should terrify the U of M although I think over at the athletic department they're likely running down the litany of excuses for the small crowd. Even when we were winning early and in the game late, the atmosphere was dead. Gopher basketball, which was once counted on for high percentage of capacity crowds that were into the games and made noise, has now become what Gopher football was and still represents to many people, rightly or wrongly. The crowds are shrinking and the core is older and makes little noise while people in their 20s and 30s largely stay away and feel no connection to the team, despite the still visible amount of kids and parents.

This has been building since the academic scandal ripped the heart out of attendance and fan interest in 1999. The U of M has pretty much ignored this growing problem since then and it was only hidden, never solved, during the post Tubby bounce. Now the bottom is falling out. Whoever takes over as athletic director needs to do what Maturi and Teague did not by getting deadly serious about how the basketball program is sold and marketed to the ticket and barn loft buying public while also taking a hard look at the disjointed game production which tries to satisfy traditionalists and younger fans while somehow doing neither. I predict it's unfortunately going to get worse before it gets better.

I agree. Even with our disappointing season and ugly last few loses, I was surprised at how light the crowd was today and even more so, how quiet it was as we battled down the stretch. We have a lot of new faces in the admin, so not sure if they have much to compare it to that us long-time diehards understand. I've never seen a Gopher/Hoosier game with so many empty seats. It's a definite concern.

Go Gophers!!

I am surprised it has taken this long, speaks highly to how much Minnesota wants to support Gopher basketball. The last winning conference record for this program occurred in 2004-2005. Gary Trent Jr was 5 years old. I remember posting similar things about how old kids were when this program was in the final four. When Tubby Smith was hired he said the school needed a practice facility immediately. We're in the middle of the 9th season since that point and somehow still have not built a practice facility.

I was thinking this week about who would replace all the older season ticket holders you see in the Barn these days and I think the answer is pretty clear: nobody unless the product greatly improves. The vast majority of the diehards are diehards because of Musselman, Dutcher, or Haskins era Gopher teams. Anyone born post 1990, has little to no experience with relevant Gopher Basketball or the "when the Barn was the Barn". To many, including recruits, the Barn is just an old building. It's not Cameron Indoor or any other example of an old hoops arena still being used that is thought of fondly by many, because nothing relevant has been happening there for a long time. In the last X number of years, far more last second gut punches have occurred on that floor than exhilarating victories.

I think you make another excellent point in comparing Gopher basketball and Gopher football. This board used to be so much different than the football board in that people didn't view the hoops program in a light where it would be a good year to merely be competitive. That has changed and expectations have got lower and lower and former frequent posters who had expectations for this program are nowhere to be found.

I thought things were turning around in Pitino's first year as the Barn was louder on a regular basis than it had been in a long time. I think last year took a lot of wind out of those sails. Not only were there more brutal gut punch losses (Iowa and Ohio State), but the last 3 home games were all losses to perennial bottom feeders Northwestern and Penn State as well as to chief rival Wisconsin.

The question of how to market basketball now has gotten much tougher and I am not sure what the answer is now. If it's really to the point that is perceived the way football is in state, then it might be too late. Once the perception is that a program is a joke that is incapable of competing on a national level, then it's tough to change that perception...until you actually do compete on that level.

+1

I agree. Even with our disappointing season and ugly last few loses, I was surprised at how light the crowd was today and even more so, how quiet it was as we battled down the stretch. We have a lot of new faces in the admin, so not sure if they have much to compare it to that us long-time diehards understand. I've never seen a Gopher/Hoosier game with so many empty seats. It's a definite concern. Go Gophers!!

Biggest disappointment yesterday was the complete lack of energy from the crowd. If you're going to the game to sit the whole time with your arms crossed why not just stay home? Not once did fans get off their asses to urge the Gophers on defense. Late in second half, tight game vs a good team, and I actually get told to sit down. It's embarrassing. For the effort those kids gave they deserved better from us fans.

I agree. Even with our disappointing season and ugly last few loses, I was surprised at how light the crowd was today and even more so, how quiet it was as we battled down the stretch. We have a lot of new faces in the admin, so not sure if they have much to compare it to that us long-time diehards understand. I've never seen a Gopher/Hoosier game with so many empty seats. It's a definite concern.

Go Gophers!!

To be honest Bleed, I was surprised there were as many as there were. With the weather that cold and the team playing so awful the last couple of games and the game on TV- it speaks well of Gopher fans. The ONLY cure is winning. We are going to need to have a year (soon) where we win and we have players that we can attach to because of their effort and will to win. Bobby Jackson had it, Vince Grier had it, Andre Hollins had some of that before he started getting injured and so did Mbakwe. We just haven't had that kind of tough minded players. We have had a number of good players but not that many who really ignited the crowd. I have hopes for Murphy, McBrayer and Dorsey who all appear to have a little of that but need time and muscle. I really believe- as bad as it is, the basic ingredients are here to do what Clem did when he first came in 86-87. The question is whether Pitino can develop this and the next class to accomplish that. I love that Coffey and Hurt are on their way here- a couple of hometown guys who want to make the program great again- that's an important ingredient.

Back to the game - I was listening on the radio, and it sounded like the Gophers came out hard and may have caught Indiana napping early. No matter how much Crean talks about respecting the opponent, the Indiana players came in knowing the Gophers had been blown out in their last two games and were struggling.

Gophers led 17-8 at the 10:06 mark of the 1st half. Indiana outscored the Gophers 26-17 for the rest of the 1st half, and 62-46 for the rest of the game.

So - good effort and nice start, but once Indiana started hitting some shots, they still controlled the rest of the game.

Some positives for the Gophers, but still a long way to go. Let's not get too giddy over 10 minutes of a 40-minute game.

Top Bottom