***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS CALIFORNIA BAPTIST SO CAL CHALLENGE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

After watching all the games I just can’t understand JOJs lack of minutes. He’s the only guy besides Payne that gives us some physical toughness. He gets ridiculous offensive rebounds. He can beat his guy off the dribble/knows how to get his man on his hip and get his shot/draw a foul. It’s just crazy to me Ben hasn’t tried to get him as many minutes as possible early on to get his confidence up. The idea of Thompson/Ramberg getting more time/investment I just can’t understand. Huge Johnson supporter, but here he’s flat wrong and it’s hurt the team.

After watching all the games I just can’t understand JOJs lack of minutes. He’s the only guy besides Payne that gives us some physical toughness. He gets ridiculous offensive rebounds. He can beat his guy off the dribble/knows how to get his man on his hip and get his shot/draw a foul. It’s just crazy to me Ben hasn’t tried to get him as many minutes as possible early on to get his confidence up. The idea of Thompson/Ramberg getting more time/investment I just can’t understand. Huge Johnson supporter, but here he’s flat wrong and it’s hurt the team.

Ramberg didn't play last night.

One man’s calm is another’s low motor. I say that as someone who is generally calm. Garcia came up with the winner last night but didn’t generally have a good game. I also thought I saw him calling for a sub in the second half because he was gassed. It’s a recurring theme that guys are out of shape. I’m seeing evidence that is true. Battle has a reason. Garcia doesn’t as far as we know.
I was referring to not rushing his shot. He very calmly goes through his offensive moves without panicking.

I don’t care if JOJ gets 2 quick fouls in his 4 min of play, he still warrants more than 4 minutes…especially when battle is on a minutes restriction.

For you saying they don’t go inside, they still shot 37 2 pt field goals. I think it’s fair to say a team that rolls out a near 7 footer (thompson - who played 21 min), a 6’11” forward (Garcia - played 25 min), a 6’9” center (Payne - who played 15 min) and a 6’7” forward (battle - who played 36 min) …plus 25 min by Henley (6’7” at a guard spot)…(A taller team one could argue)…should have at least a few blocks if they are contesting shots here and there (even if just of the 37 two pointers).

Instead of arguing the data, maybe learn how to interpret it.

What’s your argument for only 2 assists outside of Cooper in an OT extended game? How is my analysis off there (which again is based off of the data, which doesn’t lie).
Does your data show or tell how many shots were altered, but not necessarily blocked? Seriously asking because you don’t need to block a shot to create a miss, and there were plenty of those.

No one was more vocal about the Johnson hire as me. Hopefully he can recruit enough to win. So far I’m unimpressed by his coaching. Are you a gopher fan or Jayhawks fan? Serious Q. Cause I cannot imagine being on this site and following this team for fun.
I have personal connections to both. Born and raised in Minnesota, spent 4 years in Lawrence.

Ironically JOJ biggest issue I think is his rebounding. He's tough offensively, but for him to take the next step and earn a bigger role, he needs to be a better rebounder for this team
This is absolutely correct. In five games, averaging nearly seventeen minutes a game, JOJ has only three defensive rebounds all year! He's got the shoulders and athleticism, but he needs to refine his technique and learn to block out.

Does your data show or tell how many shots were altered, but not necessarily blocked? Seriously asking because you don’t need to block a shot to create a miss, and there were plenty of those.
Great points. Blocked shots don’t correlate with wins. The threat of altered/blocked do.

I'm surprised it took so long for the stat descrepancies to come up. For example, I'm certain TT had at least one high-low feed to Payne for a dunk--I'm not certain what the scoring guidelines are, but as a fan, I absolutely expected it to be scored as an assist. Similarly, the announcers called at least one gophers block, though I didn't see the play clearly.

I'm surprised it took so long for the stat descrepancies to come up. For example, I'm certain TT had at least one high-low feed to Payne for a dunk--I'm not certain what the scoring guidelines are, but as a fan, I absolutely expected it to be scored as an assist. Similarly, the announcers called at least one gophers block, though I didn't see the play clearly.
For what it’s worth, the scorer’s table was really struggling. Baptist was called for an early offensive foul then went ten minutes without and it recorded its second foul as its first. I avoided going apoplectic but made it known around me the screw up. Scorer’s table was two rows in front of me. I was as ticked off at Gophers bench for not recognizing it. Biggest downside here is no in arena stats .

Great points. Blocked shots don’t correlate with wins. The threat of altered/blocked do.

Sorry, but I have to question these assumptions as stated. "Correlate" is a statistical term. Have you done a correlation of blocked shots with wins or know of someone who has? Intuitively one would expect blocked shots to have a much lower correlation with wins than something like field goal percentage but it would be nice to see evidence that the assumption was tested with a large dataset.

The last sentence doesn't make intuitive sense to me. I would think that a team posing a "threat" to block shots would be one that actually does block a fair amount of shots.

Sorry, but I have to question these assumptions as stated. "Correlate" is a statistical term. Have you done a correlation of blocked shots with wins or know of someone who has? Intuitively one would expect blocked shots to have a much lower correlation with wins than something like field goal percentage but it would be nice to see evidence that the assumption was tested with a large dataset.

The last sentence doesn't make intuitive sense to me. I would think that a team posing a "threat" to block shots would be one that actually does block a fair amount of shots.
I was curious so I picked a five year stretch of gopher hoops, 2014-2015 to 2018-2019. Two of those years we had Lynch (Well one year and some change) Included wins, loses, conference record and Blocks
2014-15: 18-15, 6-12, 110 Blocks (172nd in the Nation, 184th in blocks per game 3.3)
2015-16: 8-23, 2-16, 112 Blocks (171st in the nation, 143 in blocks per game at 3.6)
2016-17: 24-10, 11-7 227 Blocks (2nd in the nation, 1st in blocks per game at 6.7. Lynch had 114 blocks, 3.5 per game)
2017-18: 15-17, 4-14 163 Blocks (28th in the Nation, 28th in the Nation in Blocks per game, 5.1 Reggie Lynch had 66 Blocks, 4.1 per game in 16 Games We were 13-3, 2-1 in the Big Ten when he was let go)
2018-19: 22-14, 9-11, 140 Blocks(67th in the Nation, 105th in the Nation in Blocks Per Game at 3.9)
When we had Lynch who had more blocked shots than the two teams before him by himself, we had our best season and we were a top 15 team when he was expelled, although we may have fallen out of polls after the Arkansas and Nebby losses, can't remember the timing of that. The following year, we were a little better than the first two seasons. Oturu had 46, 1.3 per game, Murph had 29, .8 per game, Matz had 24, .9 a game, which was solid, but no one near Lynch abilities. Overall, I would say we had our most success in this five year period when we were blocking and altering shots on a more regular basis. Last year we had 83 blocks, good for 2.8 a game

I have read a couple things (many years ago when I coached) about the value of blocked shots and they aren’t necessarily a strong indicator of a strong defense. The studies used to say 70% of blocked shots go back to the offensive team. Add in that with the idea that attempting to block shoes lead to increased chances at fouling and taking you out of defensive position. Most programs that I’ve seen teach “contesting” shots at the rim.
The threat part can have an effect on the opposing offense and limit shots they are willing to take. That is a far bigger weight on a game imo. I’ll see if I can find any of the articles/studies later if I can.
Again blocks aren’t bad, just not a great indicator stat of winning or a great defense because of the variables.

Top Bottom