***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS CALIFORNIA BAPTIST SO CAL CHALLENGE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I wondered the same thing. He's played well this year.
I really hope today was a small sample size but I really don't like how Ben used Garcia and Battle.

When Garcia was out, we should have seen a lot of minutes of Payne (5) - Battle (4) - JOJ (3).

For games without a dominating 4, Battle really can create a mismatch. We saw it a lot last year. For many teams, Battle can defend their 4's better than they can defend him. Tonight sure seemed like one of those games.

I really hope today was a small sample size but I really don't like how Ben used Garcia and Battle.

When Garcia was out, we should have seen a lot of minutes of Payne (5) - Battle (4) - JOJ (3).

For games without a dominating 4, Battle really can create a mismatch. We saw it a lot last year. For many teams, Battle can defend their 4's better than they can defend him. Tonight sure seemed like one of those games.
I don’t have the exact numbers but Garcia played nearly the entire second half and OT. JOJ got two fouls in 4 minutes. His chance to play when Garcia was out was ruined by him getting in foul trouble immediately. Hard to roll with him when he has 2 fouls with 9:44 remaining in the half.

I agree he deserved minutes in the second half. But Payne, Cooper and Battle played a ton. Garcia played when he was in foul trouble. Henley and Carrington got a lot of minutes. just a weird game for JOJ. Less battle would have meant more JOJ but I’m not the head coach. Yet.

Both have the quick guards who have given us fits this year.
No doubt. They are still bad offensively. So are the gophers at times though. And I’ve watched very little. 9:30pm rip off is better for me than 6pm. So tonight was fun.

I don’t have the exact numbers but Garcia played nearly the entire second half and OT. JOJ got two fouls in 4 minutes. His chance to play when Garcia was out was ruined by him getting in foul trouble immediately. Hard to roll with him when he has 2 fouls with 9:44 remaining in the half.

I agree he deserved minutes in the second half. But Payne, Cooper and Battle played a ton. Garcia played when he was in foul trouble. Henley and Carrington got a lot of minutes. just a weird game for JOJ. Less battle would have meant more JOJ but I’m not the head coach. Yet.
No. Garcia sat down right away after third foul early in second half. Played almost all the last ten minutes though. I’ve been hard on this team but I saw heart tonight that I have not seen yet this year.

CBU coaches right up there with biggest whiners in the game. Got almost all the calls and still didn’t stop. Bad form.

Ben almost drew a T when their stepped over the line inbounding the pass. Ref had to know he blew it.

No. Garcia sat down right away after third foul early in second half. Played almost all the last ten minutes though. I’ve been hard on this team but I saw heart tonight that I have not seen yet this year.

CBU coaches right up there with biggest whiners in the game. Got almost all the calls and still didn’t stop. Bad form.

Ben almost drew a T when their stepped over the line inbounding the pass. Ref had to know he blew it.
Garcia played 25 minutes. 5 in the first 1/2 and 5 in OT…unless I’m missing some first half minutes. So he played 15/20 second half minutes.

Ben was irate. Easiest call in the world and the ref blew it. Good form by the official to not give him a T

Refs choose not to call the guy stepping two feet over the line on the inbounds. CBU makes a three 5 seconds later on that possession. Game is going to OT.

Can’t make it up. Fuck that.
That ref was not paying attention all night! He was trying to talk to Payne as that ball was being used inbounded, was standing around when we should have been shifting then totally took his eye off that ball and missed that turnover!

well its a win!!

the minutes seems to be what i envisioned in my head before the season started.
Lots of minutes for our top 7 guys and not much left to hand out. So much for Battle being on a strict minute count

unlv 56 siu. 49

looks like unlv plays 4 Gs. and a lot of minutes to a 6'7" center, from the siu game

Last edited:

What time is the tip on Wednesday?

Wonder why Ola-Joseph didn't get more minutes. Box score only has him with 4 minutes played.
I didn’t watch the game as CBSsports isn’t part of my cable package, but after seeing the box score, this was my first question as well. His long term prospects are better than Henley in my position and we need to feed him minutes or risk losing him via transfer portal.

I didn’t watch the game as CBSsports isn’t part of my cable package, but after seeing the box score, this was my first question as well. His long term prospects are better than Henley in my position and we need to feed him minutes or risk losing him via transfer portal.
Henley and JOJ are totally different players. JOJ's minutes are going to Battle, Garcia and Payne (and to a lesser extent TT). Henley is a guard/wing.

Other takeaways:

- cooper played 40 min: too much for him as we have no other ball handlers and need him for the B10 season *maybe these huge early season minutes helped contribute to his team high 4 turnovers
- JOJ needs more than 4 minutes
- 9 assists last night and 7 were by Cooper (2 by the rest of the team * in an OT extended game is pathetic)
- FTs
-28% on treys 5/18 - maybe there is a reason teams let us shoot…
- 0 blocks all game when you play a rather tall lineup
- 5 pts off turnovers (Baptist turned it over 12 times and we only convert for 5 points…)

Henley and JOJ are totally different players. JOJ's minutes are going to Battle, Garcia and Payne (and to a lesser extent TT). Henley is a guard/wing.
Henley dribbles like a forward - so consider those two interchangeable/ position less as they both can’t really dribble

Again this just isn’t true. JOJ has played plenty at the 3 so far this season and subs for Henley at times.

Henley handles the ball better than JOJ… Henley is a better perimeter defender. JOJ is a player I like… JOJ is raw and can be out of control… bad shots and missed defensive assignments… I think as JOJ matures mentally his minutes will be more consistent … JOJ does not lack confidence which I like at times that hurts him

Again this just isn’t true. JOJ has played plenty at the 3 so far this season and subs for Henley at times.
I don't dispute he gets some time at the 3 (as does Battle), but I haven't seen him subbing for Henley, but I may have missed it. JOJ ain't bringing the ball up the court or doing much ball handling at this point in his career.

Henley handles the ball better than JOJ… Henley is a better perimeter defender. JOJ is a player I like… JOJ is raw and can be out of control… bad shots and missed defensive assignments… I think as JOJ matures mentally his minutes will be more consistent … JOJ does not lack confidence which I like at times that hurts him
Good assessment.

Top Bottom