*** OFFICIAL MINNESOTA-TEXAS TECH IN-GAME BOWL THREAD ***

I can't pile on the Limegrover hate. Gray had two absolutely wide open men and wasn't within 7 yards of either. Put that on Gray, put that on whoever put Gray in. His accuracy tonight was about as good as it was in August. He's a great young man and has done everything asked of him, but the kid can't throw the ball. Nelson's not much better, but at least he'll have the chance to play QB for 3 more years to improve.

I can't pile on the Limegrover hate. Gray had two absolutely wide open men and wasn't within 7 yards of either. Put that on Gray, put that on whoever put Gray in. His accuracy tonight was about as good as it was in August. He's a great young man and has done everything asked of him, but the kid can't throw the ball. Nelson's not much better, but at least he'll have the chance to play QB for 3 more years to improve.

Agree with what you said, Nelson should/MUST improve his accuracy

heartbreaking but definitely positive steps going into next year

Pretty much my take. I thought they would get killed but they played well on offense and (especially) defense.The interception was a fluke, batted ball, etc. Awful to lose it in the last minute, but the Gophers showed a TV audience they came to play.

I have not felt this bad since the Vikes\ Atlanta game.

The two passes by Gray were pathetic. A first down or two and the game is over.

Carter made two great interceptions but we couldn't capitalize.

A break-away wr would be nice.

How anyone still gets emotionally attached to this team is beyond me.

I have not felt this bad since the Vikes\ Atlanta game.

What about:
1. The Vikings/Saints game 2007?
2. Gophers/Wisconsin 2005(?) with a blocked punt TD to basically end the game?
3. Gophers/Michigan 2004 with a 28-7 lead evaporated by a hundred Chris Perry screen passes in the 4th quarter?
4. Gopher/NW 2008, 7-1, Decker gets hurt for the season on the play that loses a 7-1 start?
5. Gophers/NW 2000, hail mary pass succeeds for NW to end the game?
6. Gophers/Purdue 2000(?), Purdue sets up a 52 yard GW FG that succeeds, while only using 14 seconds of clock?
7. Gophers/TT 2006, Gophers blow 35-3 lead late in the game, TT ties it on a 52-yard FG with time running out, and wins 44-41 in OT?

I may have some of these details wrong as they're off the top of my head, but putting this into context, it's really a minor occurrence in the world of Minnesota football heartbreaks.

3. Gophers/Michigan "OCT 10 2003" with a 28-7 lead evaporated by a hundred Chris Perry screen passes in the 4th quarter?

Still stands as the worst loss I have ever experienced. Vikes 98/" 09' " is not even close.

2003 was a rose bowl team, win or lose in Pasadena.

I put this loss on the Coaches (especially offensive coaches). The Defense did great, but the Offense couldn't put the game away. Why on earth do you put Gray in there in the 4th? So he can be a hero in his last game? And the last series... Nelson is young, don't put him in a position to make a mistake.

I declare today "Stay away from local sports radio" day.

I put this loss on the Coaches (especially offensive coaches). The Defense did great, but the Offense couldn't put the game away. Why on earth do you put Gray in there in the 4th? So he can be a hero in his last game? And the last series... Nelson is young, don't put him in a position to make a mistake.

I said this in another thread: I think it's acceptable to question putting Gray back in. But you don't think some blame shouldn't be put on your senior captain who couldn't hit two wide open receivers? I swear, some people act like Gray is out there playing QB with no arms or something.

On the last drive, I think the coaches get criticized if it doesn't work regardless of what they do. Play it conservatively and TT gets the ball back and scores in the closing seconds and it's "we should have gone for the win". Be aggressive and throw an interceptions, it's "don't put Nelson in a position to make a mistake".

I never saw Tech stop the QB option play to the left...They always bit inside and Gray or Nelson got nice chunks of yardage everytime we ran it. For some reason, we don't use that play in the 4th quarter. Poor play-calling to expect our non-passing QB's to hit clutch 3rd downs when we coulda kept the ball on the ground and run clock.

I said this in another thread: I think it's acceptable to question putting Gray back in. But you don't think some blame shouldn't be put on your senior captain who couldn't hit two wide open receivers? I swear, some people act like Gray is out there playing QB with no arms or something.

On the last drive, I think the coaches get criticized if it doesn't work regardless of what they do. Play it conservatively and TT gets the ball back and scores in the closing seconds and it's "we should have gone for the win". Be aggressive and throw an interceptions, it's "don't put Nelson in a position to make a mistake".

+1 on everything. Well said.

Well, don't you think the coaches have some accountability for putting him in? It's like putting in Tim Tebow and blaming him cause he can't throw straight.

Well, don't you think the coaches have some accountability for putting him in? It's like putting in Tim Tebow and blaming him cause he can't throw straight.

Did you not read my first sentence?

I think it's acceptable to question putting Gray back in.

I didn't particularly like them putting Gray in that situation because I didn't like changing QB's back and fourth in the 4th quarter. At that point I think you stick with one guy.

What doesn't make sense to me is how you and others are acting like the other option (Nelson) was such a better option at throwing the ball. Nelson ended the season with a below 50% completion percentage.

I'd be fine with people arguing that we shouldn't have thrown 2 of 3 times regardless of the QB. But to say they were bad plays only because Gray was the QB just doesn't make sense. Statistically, Nelson has not been a better passing QB.

It's actually like replacing Tim Tebow with a Tim Tebow Clone and people getting upset that they were passing with the clone and not Tim Tebow. Nelson and Gray have both been below average passers in their career.

Top Bottom