*** OFFICIAL MINNESOTA-NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD ***

Bad shooting but that defense will cause Minnesota problems, I put it on Tubby, the corners are where you will get your open shots against a 1-3-1, you can't play Coleman and Williams at the same time against that zone, neither can shoot, you end up with the guards throwing up threes that really aren't good shots. With a good game plan I can't help but think Wally could have had a banner night, his skill set is made to play against that zone.

You'd swear that no team has ever lost a road B1G game before.

NU lost to Ill-Chicago at home
Stanford
Michigan by 28
Iowa BY FU*&^ng 20
Indiana last Sunday

I wish we weren't ranked. We need to go back to being that below the radar team.

Never understood these kind of comments. We have the exact same gameplan but hit our free throws and hit a few more open shots, we may have won by 10. The game is not on one person. It's the coaches and players equally.

Really? Tubby knew they would come out with the 1-3-1 sometime tonight. We have consistently had trouble with it. Once NW went toot we did not have an answer. We did nothing right on offense and the game went downhill. This is on Tubby because we didn't counter. We looked like we have never seen it before.

Really? Tubby knew they would come out with the 1-3-1 sometime tonight. We have consistently had trouble with it. Once NW went toot we did not have an answer. We did nothing right on offense and the game went downhill. This is on Tubby because we didn't counter. We looked like we have never seen it before.

I think Carmody should be fired for not deploying the 1-3-1 all game or last game hardly at all.

So we started playing bad around the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half? That was the first time they started playing the 1-3-1. I don't disagree that it was a pathetic showing and Tubby deserves a lot of the blame for the 1-3-1 fiasco. But lets get real, we were playing terrible even before NW started playing it. Therefore, the blame should be on the players as well.

We didn't guard Marcotulio either. I hadn't seen him all game, so I thought maybe he graduated. As soon as he took the floor - I believe the Gophers were up either 5 or 7 at the time - I rolled my eyes and dreaded the future.

Mbakwe was the only guy who showed up today - and he had an awful day from the line and didn't have a good day from the field either. But his effort was amazing. The rest of the team had dreadful days. The last two fouls called on Austin Hollins were pathetic and were game-changers. Hollins' "fouls" probably had as much to do with the bad outcome as anything else.

Finally, what the hell were the Gophers doing NOT full court pressing AGAIN for most of the game? They always play best when they apply defensive pressure, as it opens up the floor. Further, NU's gameplan was to wear down the clock and shoot with 2 or 3 seconds left on the clock to keep the score close. If you work the press, it may lead to some easy buckets for NU, as well as some turnovers. Either way, it changes from THEIR gameplan to YOUR gameplan.

What happened to Rodney Williams after last year's NIT run? What changed between then and now, and why is he suddenly playing like he did as a freshman and sophomore again?

I have no problem with passionless constructive criticism.

There are issues with this team. We got overrated after the MSU and Illinois wins and it was fun while it lasted.

But its the OVER THE TOP comments. Declarations that the game was over with 15 and 10 minutes left, yet we cut the lead to 4 pts. NOT claiming it as a moral victory. Just pointing out that there was still a chance to pull out the win, WELL after those posters had declared it over.

But dam, just SO MUCH OVER THE TOP NEGATIVITY?! Serious? Does it make you feel better to vent here on the forum like that? Because it doesn't make ME feel better?! It's being selfish. You only care about venting for your own benefit, but it doesn't benefit ANYONE else. Does it?!

You know what, why don't some of you people seriously, just SHUT THE @#$% UP!!!!

Sure, the Gophers are playing badly, Tubby probably made a huge mistake keeping Hollins in with 4 fouls, but I'm what makes this game SO much harder to endure, is reading all of your negative bs.

I don't care if its true!! All the negativity just sucks my soul dry. I'm going to give up coming to the GH, because I HATE GOPHER FANS. Not every single one of you, obviously, but FAR TOO MANY OF YOU!!!!!

I swear, if we come back to win this game and/or come back to win a Big Ten Title, I'll remind each and every one of you ashwipes of what you said. NONE of you will deserve to enjoy any success this team has.

I'll be your friend...here's my hanky.

Never understood these kind of comments. We have the exact same gameplan but hit our free throws and hit a few more open shots, we may have won by 10. The game is not on one person. It's the coaches and players equally.

You can make that excuse if your team is Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio State, or Wisconsin because all of those teams have finsihed above 6th place at some point over the last 5 years. This is year 6 of the Tubby era and this is just plain terrible watching a squad that is this far superior in talent losing in such completely clueless fashion. Yes they missed free throws, yes they missed jumpers but they also looked completely disorganized and we looked like we were playing with a greased ball. That's bad coaching - this is not a young squad. 6th year senior, senior, junior and two sophs. In today's game that's a very veteran squad and it should never look like that.

No you get a pass if you have performed in the past here at Minnesota. Tubby has not. 6th Place Tubby.

There are issues with this team. We got overrated after the MSU and Illinois wins and it was fun while it lasted.

But its the OVER THE TOP comments. Declarations that the game was over with 15 and 10 minutes left, yet we cut the lead to 4 pts. NOT claiming it as a moral victory.

But dam, just SO MUCH OVER THE TOP NEGATIVITY?! Serious? Does it make you feel better to vent here on the forum like that? Because it doesn't make ME feel better?! It's being selfish. You only care about venting for your own benefit, but it doesn't benefit ANYONE else. Does it?!

Don't try to reason with them...it will get worse! The majority of fans here are giant homers and have had their hearts ripped out year after year(not just the gophers). Many think if we have a few bad games that the world is ending and its another classic Minnesota melt down. This game won't define our season but it was unexpected and it bothers the nut jobs so much they will trash the players and the coaching staffs as if they are worthless. If we lose to wisky the classic Minnesota thing to do will be to turn their backs on the team and stop showing up. I want the gophers to win every game and I go in believing that we will, but if we lose it doesn't break my heart. If we lost every game I would still watch and cheer and be excited for the next game. I love my state, my university, and these players that sacrifice for our entertainment. I hope the people so hateful take a step back and realize its a game. Calm down! Later

I think I'd like to put some distance between myself and this game before I comment on what this loss means to this season. Hyperbole and histrionics never did anybody any good.

But man alive, did we play bad.

You can make that excuse if your team is Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio State, or Wisconsin because all of those teams have finsihed above 6th place at some point over the last 5 years. This is year 6 of the Tubby era and this is just plain terrible watching a squad that is this far superior in talent losing in such completely clueless fashion. Yes they missed free throws, yes they missed jumpers but they also looked completely disorganized and we looked like we were playing with a greased ball. That's bad coaching - this is not a young squad. 6th year senior, senior, junior and two sophs. In today's game that's a very veteran squad and it should never look like that.

No you get a pass if you have performed in the past here at Minnesota. Tubby has not. 6th Place Tubby.

Don't disagree with anything you just said. That still doesn't mean the loss is 100% on Tubby. He deserves as much blame as anyone, without a doubt. But the players have to be held accountable as well. That's all I'm trying to say.

We didn't guard Marcotulio either. I hadn't seen him all game, so I thought maybe he graduated. As soon as he took the floor - I believe the Gophers were up either 5 or 7 at the time - I rolled my eyes and dreaded the future.

Mbakwe was the only guy who showed up today - and he had an awful day from the line and didn't have a good day from the field either. But his effort was amazing. The rest of the team had dreadful days. The last two fouls called on Austin Hollins were pathetic and were game-changers. Hollins' "fouls" probably had as much to do with the bad outcome as anything else.

Finally, what the hell were the Gophers doing NOT full court pressing AGAIN for most of the game? They always play best when they apply defensive pressure, as it opens up the floor. Further, NU's gameplan was to wear down the clock and shoot with 2 or 3 seconds left on the clock to keep the score close. If you work the press, it may lead to some easy buckets for NU, as well as some turnovers. Either way, it changes from THEIR gameplan to YOUR gameplan.

What happened to Rodney Williams after last year's NIT run? What changed between then and now, and why is he suddenly playing like he did as a freshman and sophomore again?

what happend to rodney? trevor.. he's a lane clogger.

what about Dre? 40 against memphis? 7TO's tonight... didn't attack.. need to attack a 1-3-1... he stood out on the perimeter and passed it around.. and couldn't hit a shot.. should have ridden pine in 2nd half.

If we lost every game I would still watch and cheer and be excited for the next game. I love my state, my university, and these players that sacrifice for our entertainment. I hope the people so hateful take a step back and realize its a game. Calm down! Later

That is why we fail. Do Alabama fans feel this way in football? Do Duke fans feel this way in Bball? If fans are supposed to blindly follow their teams and results are meanigless. Do not give the players thousands of dollars in free education and charge fans an arm and a leg to watch them.

But its the OVER THE TOP comments. Declarations that the game was over with 15 and 10 minutes left, yet we cut the lead to 4 pts. NOT claiming it as a moral victory. Just pointing out that there was still a chance to pull out the win, WELL after those posters had declared it over.

Hey glass house look at your useless rants about how to be a good fan and how other fans should act. Maybe you are the problem. Seems to me like you are always venting about how we are venting...hmmm... being a little selfish are we? Grow up.

to score, this team needs to run. OR have the hollin's boys red-hot from 3. neither happened tonight.. trevor in the low block is not the answer.. we need to push the ball on every D-rebound.. did anyone see Miami 2nite? they pushed on evey miss.

That is why we fail. Do Alabama fans feel this way in football? Do Duke fans feel this way in Bball? If fans are supposed to blindly follow their teams and results are meanigless. Do not give the players thousands of dollars in free education and charge fans an arm and a leg to watch them.

Please enlighten us on what we should do then. Not go to games anymore? Be pissed off on g'hole? Egg Tubby's house?

what happend to rodney? trevor.. he's a lane clogger.

Fine, then someone on this team needs to start setting some hard screens - and lots of them.

Also, it's time Eliason gets some more minutes. The guy couldn't hustle any harder, and his hard play rubs off on the rest of the team. Notice his lack of minutes as of late, when the Gophers have played with much less passion. I don't think that's just coincidence. Mo Walker getting court time in front of him is a complete disgrace. The guy who puts in the least effort on the court, taking time away from the guy who puts in the second-most (behind Trevor).

Fine, then someone on this team needs to start setting some hard screens - and lots of them.

Also, it's time Eliason gets some more minutes. The guy couldn't hustle any harder, and his hard play rubs off on the rest of the team. Notice his lack of minutes as of late, when the Gophers have played with much less passion. I don't think that's just coincidence. Mo Walker getting court time in front of him is a complete disgrace. The guy who puts in the least effort on the court, taking time away from the guy who puts in the second-most (behind Trevor).

playing MO just allowed NW to stay in the game.

Top Bottom