***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PENN STATE RARE MID-WEEK AFTERNOON IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Read below

I would be VERY surprised if Payne as a true freshman plays better than Curry has this year. I simply cannot understand the hatred that Curry attracts on this board.
Hatred?

C'Mon. Nobody hates Curry.

But it doesn't take a basketball genius to recognize we aren't getting anywhere if that's who we're playing.

That roster spot needs to go to someone who MIGHT someday be an asset. Not year 10 for a guy who once might have been, but clearly never will be.

For this season, ok. Necessary. But Move on. Find better, or die trying. Keeping Curry is just resigning the program to also ran status. I would be very surprised, and disappointed in Johnson if Curry is on the 22-23 Gophers. I'm confident he would privately say the same.

And for the record, I agree that Payne next year probably doesn't outplay Curry. Don't care. I expect at least one transfer big, and I want whatever minutes are left to be devoted to the future.

Last edited:

Read below

I would be VERY surprised if Payne as a true freshman plays better than Curry has this year. I simply cannot understand the hatred that Curry attracts on this board.
No hatred at all of curry.
I can’t believe saying he isn’t a very good player at this point in his career is considered hatred. If he plays a major role next year, the team isn’t going to be very good

This team has already exceeded everyone's expectations this year, has a good recruiting class coming in next year and from what I'm hearing will probably have an even better one the year after that. Give it a rest.

How's Utah doing?
I didn’t want Utah’s coach anyways. But I assume not good.
Give what a rest?
Why are you so offended by me saying if the team is still bad in two years we should be ready to move on?

I didn’t say they would be bad in two years

Hatred?

But it doesn't take a basketball genius to recognize we aren't getting anywhere if that's who we're playing.

That roster spot needs to go to someone who MIGHT someday be an asset. Not year 10 for a guy who once might have been, but clearly never will be.

For this season, ok. Necessary. But Move on. Find better, or die trying. Keeping Curry is just resigning the program to also ran status. I would be very surprised, and disappointed in Johnson if Curry is on the 22-23 Gophers. I'm confident he would privately say the same.

And for the record, I agree that Payne next year probably doesn't outplay Curry. Don't care. I expect at least one transfer big, and I want whatever minutes are left to be devoted to the future.
No hatred at all of curry.
I can’t believe saying he isn’t a very good player at this point in his career is considered hatred. If he plays a major role next year, the team isn’t going to be very good

If we can bring in someone better....I am all for it. But I'm not expecting a major step forward next year. Fact is that we are returning zero impact guards next year. None. And I think some of you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment thinking that the recruits are going to come in and be All Big Ten type players as true freshman. I just don't see it.

Fact is that Battle and Thompson are the only two guys currently on the roster (and playing) this year that I feel comfortable with getting significant playing time. We're all hoping that Fox will be an impact player. Same with Isaiah Ihnen. The funny thing about Ihnen though.....is that lots of people were shitting on him last year too. Just doesn't make sense to me....how people think our rotation is going to be so significantly better that Curry couldn't crack the lineup.

If we can bring in someone better....I am all for it. But I'm not expecting a major step forward next year. Fact is that we are returning zero impact guards next year. None. And I think some of you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment thinking that the recruits are going to come in and be All Big Ten type players as true freshman. I just don't see it.

Fact is that Battle and Thompson are the only two guys currently on the roster (and playing) this year that I feel comfortable with getting significant playing time. We're all hoping that Fox will be an impact player. Same with Isaiah Ihnen. The funny thing about Ihnen though.....is that lots of people were shitting on him last year too. Just doesn't make sense to me....how people think our rotation is going to be so significantly better that Curry couldn't crack the lineup.
If we aren’t better next year, it’ll be pretty discouraging

I’m setting myself up next year for disappointment by saying if we aren’t 9th or better it’s a failure? Holy, if we were shooting for 10-14 every year we should’ve just kept Pitino. It’s okay to have some expectations. I’ll be fine.

I think everyone again is kind of saying the same thing. Curry has given his heart and soul to the program. To no fault of his own his career was derailed. But unfortunately the truth is that he isn't a quality big 10 player in a major role like the one he has this year. I think the concern is that if we have to rely on this curry or Sutherlin types consistently for production we are in trouble. I don't know that too many think Payne will be Liddell year 1 but the reality is if we are going to be a weakling Wednesday team again next year we need to build and not have 6 guys who aren't super talented that year but also won't be here in the future. In a totally perfect world Payne could be a 20 ish min guy and play well , get a few C min out of ihnen fox and curry says hey I enjoyed last year and says hey I'll play a 5-10 min role and don't worry about giving me a scholarship type thing. I wouldn't expect him to do that but who knows

If we aren’t better next year, it’ll be pretty discouraging

I’m setting myself up next year for disappointment by saying if we aren’t 9th or better it’s a failure? Holy, if we were shooting for 10-14 every year we should’ve just kept Pitino. It’s okay to have some expectations. I’ll be fine.

I said "MAJOR STEP" forward. I think we'll be better....but I'm not expecting the team to finish in the top half of the Big Ten....barring a few impact transfers. The team is going to be young and inexperienced. My entire point here is.....do you really think Curry has no place on the 9th place BT team?

Hatred?

It's admirable that Curry has worked as hard as he has to get himself back playing again. He simply does not have the lift and explosiveness he had when he came here as a freshman. Thus it's hard for him to score inside and protect the rim. And I'm not saying Payne is going to be an all-Big Ten player next year, but I would invite any of you to watch him play in person and then tell me he's not more athletic and more skilled than Curry is-and realize that between now and next year he's going to be a whole lot better. As a 17 yr old who is fairly new to the game with a frame like he has, he is going to be a pleasant surprise. None of us will know that until next year, but I like the chances of him becoming a very productive addition to the front line next year.

I think everyone again is kind of saying the same thing. Curry has given his heart and soul to the program. To no fault of his own his career was derailed. But unfortunately the truth is that he isn't a quality big 10 player in a major role like the one he has this year. I think the concern is that if we have to rely on this curry or Sutherlin types consistently for production we are in trouble. I don't know that too many think Payne will be Liddell year 1 but the reality is if we are going to be a weakling Wednesday team again next year we need to build and not have 6 guys who aren't super talented that year but also won't be here in the future. In a totally perfect world Payne could be a 20 ish min guy and play well , get a few C min out of ihnen fox and curry says hey I enjoyed last year and says hey I'll play a 5-10 min role and don't worry about giving me a scholarship type thing. I wouldn't expect him to do that but who knows
Yeah I think most are on basically the same page, but the argument has taken so many tangents nobody really knows what it is or was about anymore.... :)

Gophers have to become more athletic at all positions. That's the first step. 2nd step is to turn that athleticism into production. And that process will vary depending on each individual. So we'll have to wait and see but I think Payne at the very least should be a rotational player next year.

Top Bottom