***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Not sure I fully agree with the season being on the line against Wisconsin....but do agree that they should sit tonight if they are not 100% in order to try to have them as close to 100% for the home game against Wisconsin.

As melon said it kinda depends on your definition of "the season"

Not sure really anyone actualy thinks the tourney has a chance but if hypotethically they lose today and to wisco, yeah its curtains on that dream. Theyd be able to lose like 3 games max the rest of regular season.

For smaller goals season is not on the line

If one of Hawkins/Payne does not play tonight, the Gophers' chance of winning goes down.

if neither one plays tonight, the Gophers' chances of winning are about the same as my chance of winning the Slam Dunk contest.

the Gophers are just not good enough to win games if they are not 100%.

to be clear - the Gophers are better than last year. But even if they are better than last year, it's never easy to win B1G road games. if you're playing a B1G road game and one or two of your top 6 players are out......well, you can do the math.
They can win but they have to get big games out of Fox and Ole-Joseph. Mich St will be a physical test.

Original post by Stan asked Ben to overcome the lack of talent. I don't think lack of talent is the issue this year. We have the talent and athleticism to compete with each team in the Big Ten (Purdue in a league by themselves when they decide to play well). The issue, I think, is coaching - getting the right guys on the floor and how he's using them. I want Ben to be successful, and he has assembled talent this year, but the shot selection and defense has been poor last couple of games, as well as who he has on floor. JOJ and Payne should not sit for 8-10 minutes at a time, Garcia can't be a ball stopper on offense and can't turn it over, and guys need to sit when taking dumb shots.

So when we are losing now, CBJ is going to use the injury card with Payne and Hawkins? Hawkins sprained ankle but yet ran around wild rest of the game. The season is starting tilt on a slippery slope. Even so, rest them on the road so ready to go vs Sconny on the 23rd.

Starting 5 tonight

C- Wilson - MSU won't know what's going on
F - Garcia
F - JOJ
G- Carrington
G - Mitchell

6th man - Christie,
Bench - Fox, Ihnen, Betts, Ramburg

Not counting on an upset, but ya never know.

The biggest challenge for MN tonight will be the most difficult thing for all BTN teams this season--making 3's on the road. I don't know if its a lighting issue, the Barn has stage lighting/dark background while others (ex: Assembly Hall) have a completely lighted fan section. Regardless, I took a dive into recent form of MSU and MN's needs tonight.

As always, MSU will push tempo esp after missed baskets. They routinely get a few really easy cheapies from defense not getting back. Shouldn't be an issue if CBJ uses fresh legs throughout and is prepared for it.

MN coaches have surely watched the tapes of Neb and NW beating MSU. Both teams shot very well and didn't turn the ball over. Simple right?

MSU weakness is in the midrange/long 2's. They take a lot of long 2's (35% vs MN 25% of possessions). The first 7 games of the season, MSU shot 27% from 3 on 18.6 attempts, but the most recent 7 games they are shooting 41% on 22 attempts per game. Need to assert physicality near the rim (which can be done this year vs MSU), and keep them uncomfortable from 3's, keep them mid-range.

Goes without saying that MN MUST make some 3's tonight. In the last three Mich. St. games, they have given up 9, 7, 7 3PFGs in two losses. Earlier losses to Wisc and Neb they gave up 10, 10 3PFGs. Izzo's team has allowed opponents to shoot 3's 42.2% of possessions which doesn't mean they are poor perimeter defenders, as some were likely shot clock attempts. MN needs to make about 10 3PFGs on under 28 attempts to allow a good inside out offense which also makes close 2's getting fouled.

Go Gophers!

The Gophers have played the Spartans 131 times since 1949-50 (as far back as the sports reference database goes) and carry a 59-72 record but only 4-16 in the last 20.

Of those 20 games, Michigan State has been ranked in 15 of them. The Gophers are 2-13 in those games and 2-3 against them unranked.

The Gophers are 8-32 in the new Millennium.

The last win @ Michigan State was on 2/26/2015. The Gophers won 96-90 buoyed by 5 players scoring in double figures (Carlos Morris!!! 20, King 17, Andre Hollins 17, Walker 15 and Mathieu 12). Bakery and Gaston each had 2 points.

Michigan State got 27 from Valentine, 21 from Trice and 10 from Dawson.

They can win but they have to get big games out of Fox and Ole-Joseph. Mich St will be a physical test.

Well, there is also the possibility, albeit remote, that Ihnen could have one of his rare and inexplicably great three-point shooting games; like the one that Buggs had against Iowa (2014) or the one that Brandon Johnson had against the same opponent seven years later.

HELL NO!!
Mitchell is more serviceable than any other guard on the team outside of Hawkins. He might not play at the same level of Hawkins but can definitely handle the position. Remember, Mitchell started every game at Pepperdine the last two years with quality numbers. My worry is with CBJ using Christie in that role. He is more of a spot of shooter and definitely not a facilitator.

Welp…this feels like it’s about time for this thread to go off the rails.

see ya after the game.

Quick! Give the points and put a bundle on MSU!

team is hanging tough, but with this defense they're going to give up 85 and there's no way we keep up

This might be one of the team's most lackluster defensive games. Maybe afraid of picking up too many fouls.

Glad CBJ put Christie back in with 2.

Off to a great start offensively. Shooting it great right now. Gotta play better defensively.

Mitchell is playing with confidence and hitting 3’s - because he can’t be replaced by Hawkins?

Top Bottom