***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
Well shit got sour again. Did we already peak? Was early January the “good old days”? I sure hope not. I don’t want injury excuses. I don’t want talent level excuses.

Ben, your job is to win. Your job is to occasionally out-coach another coach. So here’s your chance and your job, go into Breslin, make up for our lack of talent, out coach a legend on his home court and build some damn credibility.

That’s it.

GET ‘ER DONE JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3-4 is the beginning of the end.

Well shit got sour again. Did we already peak? Was early January the “good old days”? I sure hope not. I don’t want injury excuses. I don’t want talent level excuses.

Ben, your job is to win. Your job is to occasionally out-coach another coach. So here’s your chance and your job, go into Breslin, make up for our lack of talent, out coach a legend on his home court and build some damn credibility.

That’s it.

If Hawkins and Payne are limited or can't play at all, the prospects of this one getting ugly go way way up.

Team needs to find a way back into the win column in a bad way but taking down MSU at their place is a pretty big ask, especially if your one true point guard is not playing at 100%.

If Hawkins and Payne are limited or can't play at all, the prospects of this one getting ugly go way way up.

Team needs to find a way back into the win column in a bad way but taking down MSU at their place is a pretty big ask, especially if your one true point guard is not playing at 100%.
If rest will help, sit them. The season is on the line next Tuesday.

Who didn't recruit more true pg?

I was told her that Christie would play pg.

3-4 is the beginning of the end.

Not necessarily, not yet anyway. People get too caught up in the moment (both good and bad moments).

Pitino's best team (2017) lost five straight games from the 11th of January until the end of the month. Pitino's other NCAA tournament team (2019) lost 6 of 7 games during a February stretch.

Granted, this team isn't as good as those and has less margin for error but, at least for the moment, could still be given the benefit of the doubt that they can recover from a slump.

Who didn't recruit more true pg?

I was told her that Christie would play pg.
Yeah, for whatever reason we have purposefully thrown away scholarships each season. I just don't get it. I just don't buy that we couldn't find some kid at some level willing to come to the U, play in the Big 10, and be a legit emergency/third string type PG.

I've been informed that the game will not be played at Jenison Fieldhouse and the 1977-78 MSU starting five: Greg Kelser, Earvin Johnson, Robert Chapman, Jay Vincent, and Ron Charles will not be suiting up tonight. That squad won the Big 10 and lost to Kentucky in the Regional Final. They went on the win the NCAA title the following year.

Not a bad lineup for the Gophers that year: Michael Thompson, Osborne Lockhart, Kevin McHale, James Jackson, and Dave Winey. Tied for 3rd in B10 12-6 and two close losses to MSU

However, Sparty still has enough firepower to take down the Gophers at Breslin Center. Minnesota will cover the 11.5 point spread if you decide to place a wager on this one.

Yeah, for whatever reason we have purposefully thrown away scholarships each season. I just don't get it. I just don't buy that we couldn't find some kid at some level willing to come to the U, play in the Big 10, and be a legit emergency/third string type PG.

At the time, I thought Keinys was an acceptable use of the last open scholarship that likely would have gone to a walk on anyway but I still thought that, if Johnson wanted to pick up an under-the-radar international player, he would have been better off picking up a guard.

That’s it.

Well stated. GO GOPHERS!

Not sure I fully agree with the season being on the line against Wisconsin....but do agree that they should sit tonight if they are not 100% in order to try to have them as close to 100% for the home game against Wisconsin.

I guess how much one should believe that depends upon the meaning of "the season." If one was hoping for an NCAA tournament appearance, I don't think that was ever in the cards. If one is just hoping for a winning overall record and a possible shot at the NIT, a loss to Wisconsin shouldn't be the end of that hope.

At the time, I thought Keinys was an acceptable use of the last open scholarship that likely would have gone to a walk on anyway but I still thought that, if Johnson wanted to pick up an under-the-radar international player, he would have been better off picking up a guard.
Yeah, I have more issue with the Jack Wilson, Danny Ogele offers than the Keinys offer. My default position on international players is unbridled enthusiasm.

I've been informed that the game will not be played at Jenison Fieldhouse and the 1977-78 MSU starting five: Greg Kelser, Earvin Johnson, Robert Chapman, Jay Vincent, and Ron Charles will not be suiting up tonight. That squad won the Big 10 and lost to Kentucky in the Regional Final. They went on the win the NCAA title the following year.

Not a bad lineup for the Gophers that year: Michael Thompson, Osborne Lockhart, Kevin McHale, James Jackson, and Dave Winey. Tied for 3rd in B10 12-6 and two close losses to MSU

However, Sparty still has enough firepower to take down the Gophers at Breslin Center. Minnesota will cover the 11.5 point spread if you decide to place a wager on this one.
I was in the Barn for the MSU loss! Earvin hit a face-guarded jumper from the elbow with a couple seconds left to lift Sparty to victory. Was a crazy good environment.

Yeah, I have more issue with the Jack Wilson, Danny Ogele offers than the Keinys offer. My default position on international players is unbridled enthusiasm.

Yes, I think Danny Ogele probably will be the record holder for the most ridiculous recruit of Johnson's tenure. So far, Wilson seems at best a practice player and an occasional fan favorite with appearances limited to select blowouts. Perhaps he still has a chance to get into a Big Ten game and do something of merit in limited minutes.

Mitchell is more than serviceable at PG. Better than anyone they had last year.

Mitchell is more than serviceable at PG. Better than anyone they had last year.
I think Mitchell can definitely run the point but he is not the passer that Hawkins is and I would worry about the ability of the remaining guards to handle any sort of full court press.

But I guess we may get to find out tonight if they decide to rest Hawkins.

If one of Hawkins/Payne does not play tonight, the Gophers' chance of winning goes down.

if neither one plays tonight, the Gophers' chances of winning are about the same as my chance of winning the Slam Dunk contest.

the Gophers are just not good enough to win games if they are not 100%.

to be clear - the Gophers are better than last year. But even if they are better than last year, it's never easy to win B1G road games. if you're playing a B1G road game and one or two of your top 6 players are out......well, you can do the math.

I think Mitchell can definitely run the point but he is not the passer that Hawkins is and I would worry about the ability of the remaining guards to handle any sort of full court press.

But I guess we may get to find out tonight if they decide to rest Hawkins.
HELL NO!!

Another tough game!! MSU will win by 12, we will be out coached and they have better guard play.

I guess we will see if Mitchell is ready.

It all depends on our shooting, if we can hit over 38% of out 3’s it will be close. Over 40% and we most likely win.

So hope our remaining shooters are on tonight!

Why haven’t we heard of the uptick to our defense with Carrington starting instead of Hawkins?

And with PP out, we could have a season high FT %!

If only RockRaven were here. Lol

3 years, Ben has not addressed the 2 most glaring issues on this team. Guard play and perimeter shooting!! He missed 2 years in the row inthe transfer portal. The clock is ticking......

Sparty should win on talent alone, but they are only one game over .500 in conference over the last 65 games. They're gettable because they rely too much on their talent and not on smart basketball. Hit the boards on both ends, and get back on D.

Not sure I fully agree with the season being on the line against Wisconsin....but do agree that they should sit tonight if they are not 100% in order to try to have them as close to 100% for the home game against Wisconsin.
It feels a bit like a snowball rolling downhill so I think it is. The next 5 after Wisconsin are @PSU, Northwestern, Michigan State, @iowa, @Purdue. They would not be favored in any of them and significant underdogs in a couple. It's pretty to see being 4-9 or 3-10 after that stretch if we lose to Wisconsin.

Reactions: Rex

Everyone likes unbridled. When I looked at the roster of the 9 cupcakes we played I saw lots of international. None were doing anything but take the shot.

Top Bottom