***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MARYLAND IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

He tried to play him. He obviously wasn't happy with what he saw. Coach has principles he wants to see followed.
But he sticks with a group that can’t defend inside and let a team shoot over 50%? Not liking what a guy who barely plays does for two minutes doesn’t mean they sit the rest of the game. That’s petulant bullshit.

Well at least we have NW for the next 2 games. Hope Curry will be back.

Rare that a thread turns into complaining about officiating.
As much as I dislike ripping the refs, this one in particular bothered me. If our players didn’t have as much integrity as they do, this would have (and arguably should have) led to blows. I know I wouldn’t have kept my cool back in the day the way Sutherlin let it go for the most part. The league at times acts like they want to clean up the game with these borderline flagrant fouls, then proceeds to ignore obvious technical foul opportunities. We certainly didn’t lose because of the refs, but that doesn’t mean the program shouldn’t forward on a few of those videos asking the league to protect the players.

Paging Loewe and Stephens, the game is 36 minutes in, please come to thr offensive end. I love that battle is having a night but guys, a little help here
Offense has them standing in the corner never,never win with this type of offense

But he sticks with a group that can’t defend inside and let a team shoot over 50%? Not liking what a guy who barely plays does for two minutes doesn’t mean they sit the rest of the game. That’s petulant bullshit.
He’s not ready to play Big Ten basketball it’s simple enough. They made it a game of it against a more talented team. Looks like TT can score and I’d like to see him play but I doubt if our coaching staff as a group is being petulant they want to win as much as any message board experts.

He’s not ready to play Big Ten basketball it’s simple enough. They made it a game of it against a more talented team. Looks like TT can score and I’d like to see him play but I doubt if our coaching staff as a group is being petulant they want to win as much as any message board experts.
Not playing a freshman because of a few bad possessions when you’re getting scored on over and over is petulant. He plays other guys who aren’t ready and won’t be here next year. It’s illogical.

It has nothing to do with liking him. I'm sure Ben cares about him as much as he does anyone else on the team.

He was trying to win a Big Ten game on the road. Thompson is not ready to help. He is a liability on defense and not an aggressive offensive player in the paint. We don't need a 6'11 wing player looking to shoot threes. We have have Battle, Willis, and Stephens for that.

Once again we were a rebounder and rim protector away from a win. We caught the Terps on a cold night beyond the arc. It was there for the taking except we gave them 50 points on twos, the majority in the paint and most of those layups.

Next year's success depends on finding a good point guard, shooting guard, and post player in the portal. We will have an All Conference player in Battle to go with Fox and Ihnen. With three good transfers we will be solid and whatever we get from the four freshman is bonus.

It has nothing to do with liking him. I'm sure Ben cares about him as much as he does anyone else on the team.

He was trying to win a Big Ten game on the road. Thompson is not ready to help. He is a liability on defense and not an aggressive offensive player in the paint. We don't need a 6'11 wing player looking to shoot threes. We have have Battle, Willis, and Stephens for that.

Once again we were a rebounder and rim protector away from a win. We caught the Terps on a cold night beyond the arc. It was there for the taking except we gave them 50 points on twos, the majority in the paint and most of those layups.

Next year's success depends on finding a good point guard, shooting guard, and post player in the portal. We will have an All Conference player in Battle to go with Fox and Ihnen. With three good transfers we will be solid and whatever we get from the four freshman is bonus.
Thompson altered and blocked a shot while on the court. I don’t think he is ready either but he provides as much or more as Ogele and Daniels do in protecting the rim. You said it yourself they gave up 50 on 2s. Thompson maybe doesn’t change the game but it is worth a couple minute look in the 2nd half—especially on a cold shooting night for Maryland.

Offensively he provides more than Ogele and Daniels. I don’t see the downside in giving him a few minutes.

Thompson altered and blocked a shot while on the court. I don’t think he is ready either but he provides as much or more as Ogele and Daniels do in protecting the rim. You said it yourself they gave up 50 on 2s. Thompson maybe doesn’t change the game but it is worth a couple minute look in the 2nd half—especially on a cold shooting night for Maryland.

Offensively he provides more than Ogele and Daniels. I don’t see the downside in giving him a few minutes.
I get your point. After our top five guys we have guys that are not D1 players. Daniels and Ogele can’t play a lick . Guess I’m buying into this coach and his staff and looking towards a bright future.

I get your point. After our top five guys we have guys that are not D1 players. Daniels and Ogele can’t play a lick . Guess I’m buying into this coach and his staff and looking towards a bright future.
I’m not saying they can’t coach and the future is bleak. I just can’t wrap my head around this decision making.

Treyton Thompson has become the Zack Annexstad of Gopher basketball. Half our fan base thinking they know more than the coaches who are watching and working with these guys every day and have spent their lives dedicated to the game.
And the other half then thinks he's going to be Tim Duncan? If we use the annexstad model we would be right, he wasn't that good

Neither are Daniels are Ogele. And they have no future and no upside. But they play over him. It's illogical.
They are seniors. Maybe they work harder in practice, listen better. Maybe the coach wouldn't mind a couple more spots to fill. There is only a million more possible reasons.

Treyton Thompson has become the Zack Annexstad of Gopher basketball. Half our fan base thinking they know more than the coaches who are watching and working with these guys every day and have spent their lives dedicated to the game.
Probably more like Streveler.

I’m not saying they can’t coach and the future is bleak. I just can’t wrap my head around this decision making.
Maybe we should insist on attending all the practices, film sessions and meetings, and sit down with Coach Johnson once or twice a week, so he can explain in detail exactly what goes into his playing time decisions.

Pretty consistent script for this team. They haven’t been blown out often because they have some guys that can flat out score.

No size, no depth, no defense. Hard to overcome all those things. I really hope this year’s defense is just a function of the roster.
Been told right here on GH, repeatedly, this years team would defend much, much better than previous squads. Didnt happen.

Exactly.

Maybe we should insist on attending all the practices, film sessions and meetings, and sit down with Coach Johnson once or twice a week, so he can explain in detail exactly what goes into his playing time decisions.
You’re right. This board isn’t to discuss or question anything. I’m sorry for my outburst.

Top Bottom