***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

This team is a coach away from being a decent B1G Conference team.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This team does not know how to play defense. No wonder we are getting our butt handed to us.

Yeah I can't imagine why the defense has slipped considerably in the 2nd half.

Ahmad Gilbert looked 10 times worse than Stephon Sharp. Yet Gilbert is the one with the full ride?? hmm

This team does not know how to play defense. No wonder we are getting our butt handed to us.

You know the great thing about moments like this is that it reveals just how clueless some posters are.

The and 1 that Konate committed early in the 2nd half was just another example where you wonder if he'll ever be a positive contributor. Guard gets to the lane, throws up a finger roll, Konate is there for the block but gets about 2 inches off the ground and hits the guy on the forearm. We got nothing from Buggs and Diedhiou and very little from Gilbert. That's 4 scholarship players out of the 6 available who combined for 13 points on 5-18 shooting and some notable defensive errors from both Buggs and Konate.

Sharp had a nice first half, but really, really mad some bad decisions with the ball in the 2nd half. He gets zero blame as others have stated, the blame goes first on the guys who got suspended and second on the guys on scholarship who contributed very little.

You know the great thing about moments like this is that it reveals just how clueless some posters are.

Team won a couple games and that guy didn't say much . Funny he shows up tonight with a lot to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coach is in over his head?

Yeah it had nothing to do with a 6 man rotation. And having just one guard able to play. And that guard being a walk-on. And having 3 guys play at least 36 minutes. Fatigue is not an issue when it comes to playing defense.

Great effort and really good 1st half from the guys tonight. The staff had these guys ready to go in a very tough situation and they competed when many others would have laid down. Basically played 6 guys and you could see the defensive intensity slip a little in the 2nd half just from some guys being a little tired. Sharp was great in the 1st half I wasn't sure he how he would handle the ball as he is a 2/3 but he did a great job in the 1st half. Illinois turned it up a little and Sharp struggled a little but this game doesn't go on him at all. I like that Dorsey, Mason, and McBrayer were on the bench still engaged in the game. I'm sure they never thought it would get out there but it did and they had to face the consequences for that happening, they did and now its time to move on. They saw how much they let their teammates down and see how much this team needs them and I hope they are ready to go and get a win against wisconsin.

Glad to see some familiar (this season) faces tonight, you all were missing/less active last couple games.

Hope the kids learned there lessons and hand it to the skunks on Wednesday.

Yeah it had nothing to do with a 6 man rotation. And having just one guard able to play. And that guard being a walk-on. And having 3 guys play at least 36 minutes. Fatigue is not an issue when it comes to playing defense.
No those couldn't have been any of the reasons for the loss. I mean it usually works out well when you have PF/C guarding SG/SF right. That is why so many teams opt to do it when they have a full compliment of players. You can't take anybody that is trying to put this loss on the coaches seriously at all.

How does the group grade Bugg's performance tonight?
I said at halftime that Buggs is still the guy making the most mistakes on the court tonight. He got lost like 3 out of 6 possessions at one time in the 1st half where other guys had to push him to the guy he was supposed to be defending.

In a game where someone needed to step up and provide some offense, Mr Buggs took a step back.

I've been right on him for a long time. He has all the tools except one, the mental ability to turn it on and overcome his mistakes/insecurities on the court. Too damn afaird to make the wrong decision to make the right one. I've coached many a kid like him, as frustrating as they come.

After tonight, I highly doubt Gaston is on the roster next season. A DNP on a night like tonight is pretty telling.

After tonight, I highly doubt Gaston is on the roster next season. A DNP on a night like tonight is pretty telling.

Yep. Gaston and Buggs are gone. And who knows from the 3 amigos...

I hate to be the agent of heaping criticism on Buggs on a difficult night, but it is telling that Sharp did a better job out of position that Buggs did. Sharp managed to put himself in line for whatever scholarships may be available to a performing walk-on (happens a lot), but once again Buggs showed that he just isn't able to preform at this level. He may have moments where he does something fine (like the nice block in the 1st half) but he has never has shown any sign of being able to be be a team player, to be a go-to anything.

I hate to be the agent of heaping criticism on Buggs on a difficult night, but it is telling that Sharp did a better job out of position that Buggs did. Sharp managed to put himself in line for whatever scholarships may be available to a performing walk-on (happens a lot), but once again Buggs showed that he just isn't able to preform at this level. He may have moments where he does something fine (like the nice block in the 1st half) but he has never has shown any sign of being able to be be a team player, to be a go-to anything.

Yep, it's nothing personal against the guy. If I recall correctly he didn't leave when the coaching change came because he really liked being a Gopher, so good on him for that. He just has no feel for the game.

Yep, it's nothing personal against the guy. If I recall correctly he didn't leave when the coaching change came because he really liked being a Gopher, so good on him for that. He just has no feel for the game.

Plus he's already red shirted. Transferring would have wasted another year.

Charles really disappointed me tonight. I'm having a hard time imagining him being any better next year...if he's on the roster, of course.

Top Bottom