***OFFICIAL MIAMI OF OHIO AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

There was one a few months ago.

But Faalele will likely be a 1st or 2nd round pick in the next one.
I'm just saying games have to be played. People were high on Mo Ibrahim and look what happened last week.

Billds went in saying all we want is a W.

Well, a W is all we got with this one.

Red Hawks deserve a lot of credit. Came to play. Not only knew some weaknesses but exploited them, especially on the Gophers D. Did not give up.

Meanwhile, our beloved rodents have lots to correct over the next 6 days.

Really think WR Wright is good.. Tanner needs to spread the ball around more if possible.

Probably was shown on TV but we saw Mo in the 4th quarter in a boot and on a knee scooter.

On to Colorado...

Play calling was bland/vanilla/boring as expected. Potts and Wright looked great. Defense not so much in half two. As others have said, d line needs to step up big time. Think some people are overreacting to the game based off this being the typucal gameplan going forward. As soon as next week, the playbook will be opened up. If not, then some heads may need to be called for.
If this is the game plan for Colorado, it means we have no passing game … it just can’t be.

The positive: Frat row was rocking hard and the student section put the rest of the stadium to shame in the first half. Beautiful day for Gopher football. Runyon's wings on the way home hit the spot.

The bad: Receivers totally let down Morgan. The LBs and DBs looked lost at times. Pott's has hops but rarely breaks tackles. An 8-4 team at best.

Screenshot_20210911-161740_Gallery2.jpg

Billds went in saying all we want is a W.

Well, a W is all we got with this one.

Red Hawks deserve a lot of credit. Came to play. Not only knew some weaknesses but exploited them, especially on the Gophers D. Did not give up.

Meanwhile, our beloved rodents have lots to correct over the next 6 days.

Really think WR Wright is good.. Tanner needs to spread the ball around more if possible.

Probably was shown on TV but we saw Mo in the 4th quarter in a boot and on a knee scooter.

On to Colorado...
Wright is great catching the ball. But he is very long-legged and stumbled a couple of time coming out of breaks. I like our slant plays, but not when they leave a receiver vulnerable to be demolished by a safety seconds after the catch. WRs hit hard and injured for the game each week so far on slants. Morgan needs better recognition? I don’t know, but concerning trend.

I am incredibly disappointed with what I saw today. Miami (OH) is a terrible football team that didn't put up a score of any point until the 4th quarter last week and only had 1 offensive TD in their 49-14 drubbing last week. They were incredibly easy to pass on both last year and last week. This performance combined with Ohio State getting handled at home has me thinking winning the West is more of a pipe dream than what should be a very attainable goal in year 5 with this much experience on the roster.

I'll start with the defense. The Gophers couldn't impose their will. It was not until Miami's 3rd or 4th drive that they forced their first 3 and out. Lots of effective drive starters for Miami on first down to give them good field position. We've now played 8 quarters without a sack from the defensive line that's as experienced as it will ever be. The linebackers (especially Sori Marin) look absolutely lost when asked to cover. Team speed apears to be a major issue across the entire defense...but are they slow or just playing slow because they are unsure of their assignments? The tackling was below average at best and will be exposed further against power run teams if it doesn't change. Out of the 17 or so guys who regularly play on defense, nobody stands out as a difference maker...but a few have stood out in negative ways.

Offensively, how you view Tanner I think depends on your expectations. He's "fine" if league average is ok to you. I think we need a guy who makes 2nd team All B1G like he did a couple years ago. If Tanner is not that guy, then where are we better than our oppostion? We don't have a more dominant offensive line than the other contenders in the West and we certainly don't have the advantage defensively either. I don't think Tanner was in the top 5 reasons the Gophers played so poorly today, but he also wasn't a bright spot. The fact that Sanford (or Fleck) didn't want to put the game in Tanner's hands against THIS defense is cause for concern. As for the offensive line, I never bought the idea that this was some dominant group. That seemed completely based on age/# of starts and not on actual talent. We've ran the ball down the throats of Iowa or Wisconsin exactly ONE time in 8 games. The other times this group has struggled to get the ground game going and given up brutal game changing sacks in pass protection. This should have been a day to put up video game numbers while giving some confidence to the guys behind Wright in the passing game and Potts in the backfield. Instead Wright gets hurt because Tanner forces a ball to him and Potts (who I believe has had two major leg injuries) has to carry the ball 30 plus times in his first start...not good.

Obviously there is time to turn this around and almost everyone would have projected a 1-1 record at this point in the season, but the way they've achieved it is concerning to me. Outside of the fg kicking and the kickoffs, I can't think of an aspect of this team that is better than expected and many areas are falling well below my expectations.

I am incredibly disappointed with what I saw today. Miami (OH) is a terrible football team that didn't put up a score of any point until the 4th quarter last week and only had 1 offensive TD in their 49-14 drubbing last week. They were incredibly easy to pass on both last year and last week. This performance combined with Ohio State getting handled at home has me thinking winning the West is more of a pipe dream than what should be a very attainable goal in year 5 with this much experience on the roster.

I'll start with the defense. The Gophers couldn't impose their will. It was not until Miami's 3rd or 4th drive that they forced their first 3 and out. Lots of effective drive starters for Miami on first down to give them good field position. We've now played 8 quarters without a sack from the defensive line that's as experienced as it will ever be. The linebackers (especially Sori Marin) look absolutely lost when asked to cover. Team speed apears to be a major issue across the entire defense...but are they slow or just playing slow because they are unsure of their assignments? The tackling was below average at best and will be exposed further against power run teams if it doesn't change. Out of the 17 or so guys who regularly play on defense, nobody stands out as a difference maker...but a few have stood out in negative ways.

Offensively, how you view Tanner I think depends on your expectations. He's "fine" if league average is ok to you. I think we need a guy who makes 2nd team All B1G like he did a couple years ago. If Tanner is not that guy, then where are we better than our oppostion? We don't have a more dominant offensive line than the other contenders in the West and we certainly don't have the advantage defensively either. I don't think Tanner was in the top 5 reasons the Gophers played so poorly today, but he also wasn't a bright spot. The fact that Sanford (or Fleck) didn't want to put the game in Tanner's hands against THIS defense is cause for concern. As for the offensive line, I never bought the idea that this was some dominant group. That seemed completely based on age/# of starts and not on actual talent. We've ran the ball down the throats of Iowa or Wisconsin exactly ONE time in 8 games. The other times this group has struggled to get the ground game going and given up brutal game changing sacks in pass protection. This should have been a day to put up video game numbers while giving some confidence to the guys behind Wright in the passing game and Potts in the backfield. Instead Wright gets hurt because Tanner forces a ball to him and Potts (who I believe has had two major leg injuries) has to carry the ball 30 plus times in his first start...not good.

Obviously there is time to turn this around and almost everyone would have projected a 1-1 record at this point in the season, but the way they've achieved it is concerning to me. Outside of the fg kicking and the kickoffs, I can't think of an aspect of this team that is better than expected and many areas are falling well below my expectations.
Honest, insightful and realistic....Not the rose-glassed everything is fine BS.

This win felt as close to a lose as I can remember since the Kill days. This team did not meet expectations today for sure. A very good team goes up 28-3 right before half, with that good field position. Then they score coming out of halftime and win 40 something to 13 to 17.

But the Miami Ohio week is over and the Colorado week is a new week. Let’s hope this team hits some sort of stride this week, because so far it has been disappointing. Every week is a new week though.

This win felt as close to a lose as I can remember since the Kill days. This team did not meet expectations today for sure. A very good team goes up 28-3 right before half, with that good field position. Then they score coming out of halftime and win 40 something to 13 to 17.

But the Miami Ohio week is over and the Colorado week is a new week. Let’s hope this team hits some sort of stride this week, because so far it has been disappointing. Every week is a new week though.
Interesting in that I though that with MN's last possession of the first half, they laid back and didn't push to put points on the board..... perhaps thinking they get the 2nd half kickoff and drive for a score then, and put the game our of reach. Well, we see how that went. Never leave potential points off of the board..

I didn't see on TV but it seemed like there may have been a few dropped (catchable) passes? I was at the game so couldn't tell.

Many tough but catchable balls. Some were in traffic and Dylan Wright took a helmet to the side.

I don’t recall if that was a high throw but seemed like Morgan was putting them on hands all day for the most part. I defer to someone else’s that was watching more closely or has a better read on what was happening.

No, but we'll see how the second half goes. Still there are a billion examples of teams either losing to or barely beating mediocre teams and still going on to have nice years.
I saw. Iowa beat them. Iowa is good this year.

You wanna give me 100 to 1 odds?
Preparing for the largest tax increase since '68, facing huge inflation, being a COVID shut in (vaccinated or not you can still get COVID per Faucci), still supporting 1 kid, maybe you'd like to start a go fund me account to help me out then I could give you 99 to 1 odds.

Top Bottom