***OFFICIAL MIAMI OF OHIO AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Tanner has been fine. You can cut the shtick.
Listen, I like Tanner as a QB but today he’s not cutting it today for whatever reason. Why do you think there have been almost no throwing plays called in the last several possessions?

I just don't understand why there is 1 back that can't be stopped (Mo or Potts), but the backups never do well. The D must know that the backup RBs are always going to run it and stack the box.
I’d say it’s partly because we don’t mix in the other backs very well. We give one guy 35 carries and the others 5 combined. There’s no reason for this with our depth, even with Mo out.

Ugly. I'll take win, but bleh.

Dropped passes in 3rd quarter. No flow.

Onto Colorado

It's not like we are new to ugly W's. Hopefully, we get CAB n Wright back and Potts showed us some strength today. Go Gophers !

Listen, I like Tanner as a QB but today he’s not cutting it today for whatever reason. Why do you think there have been almost no throwing plays called in the last several possessions?
I'm curious about that run he had when it looked like something got hurt (he got hit hard). Maybe they wee hiding something. But, if he was hurt, should have thought about Annexstad.

I'm curious about that run he had when it looked like something got hurt (he got hit hard). Maybe they wee hiding something. But, if he was hurt, should have thought about Annexstad.
You’re probably right.

Won ugly. Miami's not bad for a MAC team but the losing the LOS for large parts of the game doesn't inspire confidence for Big Ten play
The LOS battle is gonna need a lot of work. I really think our D line needs a big fire lit under them. The O Line has more to show.

When my memory fades in my older years, I won't know the difference between this game, the 2015 Kent St. game, and the 2016 Rutgers game.

Wow..... a win but I give us no chance next week
Agree, if we play this poorly on defense … and this predictably and unbalanced on offense … there are very few wins left on our schedule. I don’t know if it is PJ or OC who has decided that we won’t pass in the second half even though the box is loaded on each play. PJ likes to say that we will take what the defense gives us, but it seems that we are content to run into a loaded box all game. Not sure what that says about our passing game … but it ain’t good.

There were some drops and wright tripping as well. Not all on Morgan

I’d say it’s partly because we don’t mix in the other backs very well. We give one guy 35 carries and the others 5 combined. There’s no reason for this with our depth, even with Mo out.
True, they don't let the other backs in on passing plays. Only 1st and 10 or 2nd and 8 and for some reason they don't pass. It just looks like the D brings everyone when the backups are in. Maybe they can't pass block which is why they aren't in, in the first place?

Play calling was bland/vanilla/boring as expected. Potts and Wright looked great. Defense not so much in half two. As others have said, d line needs to step up big time. Think some people are overreacting to the game based off this being the typucal gameplan going forward. As soon as next week, the playbook will be opened up. If not, then some heads may need to be called for.

Our receivers are sub par or had bad days. Sorry.

Last edited:

Just checked the box score. Potts with 34 carries, the other two backs with 5 combined. Right back to the old 'ride our main guy into the ground' approach. Not even the fact that we were playing a MAC team could deter from this instinct.

They're delusional if they think Potts is going to make it through an entire Big Ten season at 30 plus carries per game. And the thought of starting Wiley against Wisconsin or Iowa is cringe inducing.

Play calling was bland/vanilla/boring as expected. Potts and Wright looked great. Defense not so much in half two. As others have said, d line needs to step up big time. Think some people are overreacting to the game based off this being the typucal gameplan going forward. As soon as next week, the playbook will be opened up. If not, then some heads may need to be called for.
Please......A good team rolls those guys and has backups in 3rd quarter....They easily could have lost this game...outplayed and outcoached the majority of the game.

If the new theory is run Potts 35-40 times again. No meaningful chances for back ups. Then Potts might be joining Mo on the sideline perhaps before we get to Iowa. Big Ten defenses are brutal. Iowa runs Goodson about 15-20 times a game.

Very reminiscent of the 2019 non con games. Honestly beaten up front by all three of those teams as well. But 2 years later I'd expect more.

Ueah, pinning our hopes on this being a slow start is not ideal. Then again we’ve seen teams improve dramatically as the year goes on. Hope springs eternal or we wont last as Gopher fans.

I don't know how to edit these but you get the idea anyway...

they-had-us-in-the-first-half-not-gonna-lie.gif

Please......A good team rolls those guys and has backups in 3rd quarter....They easily could have lost this game...outplayed and outcoached the majority of the game.
The talent Minnesota has should have wn by 3 TDs. I'm concerned there is something inside the locker room. Coaching included.

Top Bottom