Official meltdown thread

I've had some good laughs reading various threads about Mitch and our coaches. We're stupid for running against "9-man fronts." We're passing too much. Wrong plays being called. More creative plays needed. Seems like a no win situation for the coaches...unless we try kicking on downs 1-3.

Did that. Twice actually.

lol. So, are we happy now?

I'm not one of the ones "melting down" or even really complaining. I was happy to get out of there with a W when we didn't play a good game against a tough opponent on the road. We won the game, was it pretty? No. But that doesn't mean we can't succeed the rest of the year. Need to work on the OLine but seems like a lot of the issues obviously have to do with injuries which are out of everyone's control and not worth complaining about.

Anyway, just wanted to point out we kicked 2 field goals on 3rd down during that game.

I hate criticizing playcalling, but I'm a little baffled that we seem to be slowly going away from the read option. It was basically unstoppable last year (especially against smaller schools like CSU). Maybe it doesn't work as well when you don't have a threat like Cobb? I have been considered a Leidner defender in the past, but that was always factoring in his ability to break off 20+ yard runs a couple times a game. As a pure passer he's definitely sub-par (although still our best option...I'm not one of those crazy "let's pull Croft's redshirt" guys).

I always allow for the team to improve throughout the season, but right now our offensive line is a mess. We are improving as a program overall...even if this year is a slight regression I'm not going to get too concerned. As long as the facilities break ground, we are in good shape going forward. Also, who knows - maybe Gentry is the answer to our skill positions and maybe our O-line begins to gel and we can win 7-8 games again this year.

This exactly haha. I usually defend Mitch but today was pretty bad, UNTIL he put together that last drive and now he's still the guy.

Were you at the game, because I am not sure what it looked like on TV, but he was not bad at all. Not great, but not bad.

He had no time in the pocket at all. Just like any other QB, he missed some throws, but he made several good throws. Also, I saw several WR's and RB's that did not help him out by dropping balls, falling down on routes, etc. No picks and 2 TD passes and people still bitch and moan.

The farther we get into the tenure, the more I believe limegrover is not good. I am no expert, but its bad when your entire fan base knows what play is coming before the snap only to have the defense blow it up. I still cant believe we cant throw a screen pass every once in awhile. Drives me bananas.

I may get lambasted but i think its limegrovers playcalling that has really got mitch into trouble. He seems to put it together when he can establish a rhythym, and limegrovernever seems intent on letting that happen until the final two minutes.

my .02$

TCU beat SAustin 70-7 so theres that. Limegrover gets MN wins. same thing can be said with Mitcheroo. one more thing about Limegrover and the JK staff, as a unit, there is no better judge of HS football talent IMO. When they call a HS FB player the kid should be flattered cuz these guy can judge it on the hoof.

The farther we get into the tenure, the more I believe limegrover is not good. I am no expert, but its bad when your entire fan base knows what play is coming before the snap only to have the defense blow it up. I still cant believe we cant throw a screen pass every once in awhile. Drives me bananas.

I may get lambasted but i think its limegrovers playcalling that has really got mitch into trouble. He seems to put it together when he can establish a rhythym, and limegrovernever seems intent on letting that happen until the final two minutes.

my .02$

We do throw a screen pass every once in awhile. There were multiple in the CSU game.

NO!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree: NO!!!! Never ever repeat an offensive scheme that works, simply repeat ones that don't. Eventually, we'll get lucky and the offense will actually win us a game!

TCU beat SAustin 70-7 so theres that. Limegrover gets MN wins. same thing can be said with Mitcheroo. one more thing about Limegrover and the JK staff, as a unit, there is no better judge of HS football talent IMO. When they call a HS FB player the kid should be flattered cuz these guy can judge it on the hoof.

Your implication is that Limegrover somehow helped hold TCU to less than 70. Laughable. Your other implication is that the Gophers would win the same number or fewer games with a different OC. Very questionable, considering the number of games that a bad offense has directly caused a Gopher loss in Kill's tenure, particularly in the past few seasons.

I'd really like to know where the relative imagination in the NIU offense went when Kill's staff came to MN. It can't be due to a significant decrease in quality of player, unless one is referring to QB ability...

I'd really like to know where the relative imagination in the NIU offense went when Kill's staff came to MN. It can't be due to a significant decrease in quality of player, unless one is referring to QB ability...

Even Chandler Harnish said that they finally opened the playbook more and let him do more in his 3rd year as a starter. This coaching staff doesn't like to take risks, so they will not open it up more unless Mitch proves he can handle it. To me, I think that hinders a developing qb more than it helps. Also, truth is this coaching staff hasn't found a true dual threat qb yet... So they haven't trusted any of the QBs yet. Nelson seemed like the savior, but he didn't like running nor did he like how Limegrover's offense was. Leidner used to run great, but now he seems so slow and he just isn't very accurate. Hopefully when Croft is ready, they will open up the Offense more.

Even Chandler Harnish said that they finally opened the playbook more and let him do more in his 3rd year as a starter. This coaching staff doesn't like to take risks, so they will not open it up more unless Mitch proves he can handle it. To me, I think that hinders a developing qb more than it helps. Also, truth is this coaching staff hasn't found a true dual threat qb yet... So they haven't trusted any of the QBs yet. Nelson seemed like the savior, but he didn't like running nor did he like how Limegrover's offense was. Leidner used to run great, but now he seems so slow and he just isn't very accurate. Hopefully when Croft is ready, they will open up the Offense more.

Not sure what happened to Leidner's running ability, but he turned from a running QB to a Peyton Manning - well, a Peyton Manning who can't throw the ball - in merely two seasons. I hope injuries have not taken that much from him. Actually, Peyton might be a better runner at this point in time...
...as for Nelson, can you blame him for not liking Limegrover's offense? Back when Limegrover went from stale to opening things up in that first Nebraska win, you could see the excitement on all of the offensive players' faces, Nelson included. And not surprisingly, Nelson played quite well. Merely three games later, and by the end of that season, the offensive gameplan was right back to stale, and Nelson was platooning. Fast forward two seasons, and we're back at stale square one, as if the data displayed in between never even occurred.

Your implication is that Limegrover somehow helped hold TCU to less than 70. Laughable. Your other implication is that the Gophers would win the same number or fewer games with a different OC. Very questionable, considering the number of games that a bad offense has directly caused a Gopher loss in Kill's tenure, particularly in the past few seasons.

the TCU score of 70-7 and Limegrover are 2 separate statements.. i was just adding to the meltdown thread. My opinion of Leidner as a starting QB has been well known for 2 years.

Were you at the game, because I am not sure what it looked like on TV, but he was not bad at all. Not great, but not bad.

He had no time in the pocket at all. Just like any other QB, he missed some throws, but he made several good throws. Also, I saw several WR's and RB's that did not help him out by dropping balls, falling down on routes, etc. No picks and 2 TD passes and people still bitch and moan.

I AGREE.

gO gOPHERS

Top Bottom