***OFFICIAL LOYOLA MARYMOUNT AT MINNESOTA GAME #2 IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

If I had to give the Gopher program an identity, it would be they’re plenty competitive, but they have major issues closing out games in the last few minutes. Need to become a program that can finish games they led for long stretches.

Hopefully that genre changes this season.

If I had to give the Gopher program an identity, it would be they’re plenty competitive, but they have major issues closing out games in the last few minutes. Need to become a program that can finish games they led for long stretches.

Hopefully that genre changes this season.
What would you say is the program identity ? Successful coaches and programs have something they are known for like toughness, shooting, discipline, skilled, defense. What are we known for nationally ?

Lets make it really worthwhile. Name the price and we will agree that the have to be top 15 for me to win, 16 or worse for you to be the winner.Are we going with the final AP poll ?
Let's keep it fun. Seeing as we're both Gophers fans, how about whoever loses buys the winner some Gophers merchandise? Final AP poll works for me.

I never said they were "dog crap". But finishing 5th in conference and being ranked #4 in the nation are completely different.
They won the big ten last year. They return everyone this year. They will be in the hunt this year in a loaded big ten conference that might be the best conference in america! They must be pretty good. They are ranked #4 which doesnt mean anything other than other people must think they're pretty good too.

Regarding Wisconsin - you can hate the program all you want, but they win.

Why - IMHO, Wisconsin wins because they have a system. They recruit to that system. they coach that system. They have an identity, and they believe in it.

What is the Gophers' system? What is the Gophers' identity?

Believe it or not, it is possible to hate Wisconsin- and at the same time, respect Wisconsin for what that program has accomplished.

Wouldn't it be nice if people respected the Gophers' program in the same way?

maybe someday..........

I'm starting to see one develop.

Offensively they are a iso and ball screen heavy. We recruit lead guards who are slashing type players and 4's who are good pick and pop players, with a 5 who is more of a traditional post. He fills the rest of the wings with long athletic wings who can run the floor.

Defensively: This one is harder, but I'm still seeing that length takes precedent and I'm assuming he's working towards being able to switch everything. Focus on ball pressure and keeping guys in front. One thing I cannot tell and hopefully someone would like to chime in is if we have a focus like "no middle, no gaps, or no baseline". I haven't necessarily seen a focus or consistency with that.

The offensive one isn't my favorite, but it's efficient enough and Richard. Defensively I like the idea, but do not trust our staff to teach it correctly. I hope they've grown and prove me wrong.

Let's have a wager where they finish at this year then. Won't be ranked in the top 15, that's for sure.
sucker bet, in a shortened season team starting 5 seniors...well

I don't Wi guy, but they'll be good this year. They have flaws, I don't see them as a final 4 team, but they're b1g contenders.

next year is the year wi dips :)

Regarding Wisconsin - you can hate the program all you want, but they win.

Why - IMHO, Wisconsin wins because they have a system. They recruit to that system. they coach that system. They have an identity, and they believe in it.

What is the Gophers' system? What is the Gophers' identity?

Believe it or not, it is possible to hate Wisconsin- and at the same time, respect Wisconsin for what that program has accomplished.

Wouldn't it be nice if people respected the Gophers' program in the same way?

maybe someday..........
Spot on

the worst thing for me is....
I actually find Paul Christ and Greg gard Luke able

whereas I found Bo Ryan and Brett Beilema really unlikable

I wonder how many feel that BB made the bet with the entire Gopher Hole Board while he may feel he made the bet with Parcival only?
Feel sorry for them as my response has only been to Parcival.Remember, i like our roster better but they have such a impressive formula that they execute so well.

Feel sorry for them as my response has only been to Parcival.Remember, i like our roster better but they have such a impressive formula that they execute so well.

I was joking.

I agree. But I have thought that so many times for men’s hoops. On paper wisconsin rarely really impresses me as a team but they always do well.

Top Bottom