***OFFICIAL LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Mason turns it on before the half. A couple steals and layups. Buzzer beater 3. 48-26.

Mason finally made an impact and was very active the last 2 minutes.

ULL is not very good.

Really impressive end of the half for Nate Mason who had a couple steals that lead to layups and a buzzer beating three in transition. The biggest difference to me with this team is at the 4 and 5 spots. We now have someone who appears to know what he's doing all the time AND can catch the ball regularly at the 5 and the 4 is now manned exclusively by athletic players like Curry and Murphy (Hurt was the 4 at the end of the half I believe but Lafayette is really small). The upgrade in athleticism is very noticeable, but it's also so much easier for the offense to function with Lynch (or Curry) playing the 5 as opposed to the Bakary of last year.

The biggest negative to me continues to be shooting and I am already concerned with how this team will score in the half court against good defensive teams.

I was just saying to dad: man the defense and forced turnovers with steals leading to quick scoring on the other side reminds me of the Al Nolan Damien Johnson glory years where we basically won games with our defense. Fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I like what we are seeing, but this is Louisiana Lafayette.

Why does Murphy's jersey look like it's a women's bball jersey?

Springs is not shy at shooting the ball at all.

Sweet block from Curry. Last few 3's haven't fallen for us, but still 43% for the whole game to this point.

Pretty ugly second half from the Gophers and a really, really ugly end of game performance from the deep reserves. The second half was a warning sign for what this team can look like when they don't get any shots from outside the paint to fall.

Bad second half but not too worried about it. We were never in any danger. The biggest takeaway is that we have alot more talent than last year. Just need to get a little smarter with some passes and also, they kind of got a little lackadaisical on defense in that 2nd half.

I was pretty impressed with that win given all the new faces and the first real game of the year.

McBrayer shot much better, and goddamn his first step is lightening quick.

Curry is gonna be cool as hell. I hope he can grow a bit more and be a consistent 5 after Lynch graduates with Murphy playing 4....

Solid start to the season. Only watched the 2nd half and it was pretty sloppy, but like the potential. Should be a much more entertaining season.

I was pretty impressed with that win given all the new faces and the first real game of the year.

McBrayer shot much better, and goddamn his first step is lightening quick.

Curry is gonna be cool as hell. I hope he can grow a bit more and be a consistent 5 after Lynch graduates with Murphy playing 4....

Is it even possible Curry could be a 5? I was thinking 4 or even a 3. He seems more comfortable in offensive sets where he's on the wing and free to run.

He's like a gazelle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great first half, pretty disappointing second half from an effort perspective. I would be pretty pissed off if I was Pitino, they gave up close to 40 points before the last 2 minute run in the second half to a bad Lafayette team. I don't care what the score is I would expect 100%, not having your shots fall is one thing, it happens, but playing like that on defense is another.

Great first half, pretty disappointing second half from an effort perspective. I would be pretty pissed off if I was Pitino, they gave up close to 40 points before the last 2 minute run in the second half to a bad Lafayette team. I don't care what the score is I would expect 100%, not having your shots fall is one thing, playing like that on defense is another.

I don't disagree. This should be a good teaching moment for a young squad.

Great first half, pretty disappointing second half from an effort perspective. I would be pretty pissed off if I was Pitino, they gave up close to 40 points before the last 2 minute run in the second half to a bad Lafayette team. I don't care what the score is I would expect 100%, not having your shots fall is one thing, it happens, but playing like that on defense is another.
Wrong
In the post game interview, Pitino discussed that they could not play all-out the full game as they have a tough opponent on Monday with little prep time, so he adjusted the lineup and brought in the second string players earlier than normal to preserve energy. (They also have a game on Wednesday and Friday next week.)
And - that was not a bad team. Projected high in their league.

Much deeper team. They will need the depth because Lynch will have a hard time staying on the court in a college hoops environment where the refs dominate (and destroy) the flow of the game (52 fouls called). They will also need the depth because Springs won't be around long if he shares his brother's sentiments. Too bad since they will need Springs' size and strength in B1G. Dupree is still to slight to have much of an impact in the B1G, last night's fun performance notwithstanding.

Coffey is a smooth player. He's going to be very good. He should be strong enough for the B1G this season. Curry is raw, but you can see the talent. Hope they can figure something out with Springs. He's good, though streaky, and they will need him.

Only about 5K actual bodies in the building last night (maybe 300 students). It's been a long descent from the Dutcher/Clem days when even a preseason ticket was a tough get.

Springs has been pretty clear his brother isn't speaking for him.

Wrong
In the post game interview, Pitino discussed that they could not play all-out the full game as they have a tough opponent on Monday with little prep time, so he adjusted the lineup and brought in the second string players earlier than normal to preserve energy. (They also have a game on Wednesday and Friday next week.)
And - that was not a bad team. Projected high in their league.

He actually said they couldn't play "all out" for the whole game because they only had 3 days rest? That doesn't make any sense. The majority of games are going to be 3-4 days apart.

He actually said they couldn't play "all out" for the whole game because they only had 3 days rest? That doesn't make any sense. The majority of games are going to be 3-4 days apart.
I'm not sure what part doesn't make sense to you. I've never attended 4 games in a week at the barn before. Why are you counting a game day as a rest day? After Saturday and Sunday to prepare, they have a game on Monday. After Tuesday to prepare they have a game on Wednesday, they have Thursday to prepare for a game on Friday.

He used more players because he wants his stars fresh for Monday. Given the big lead they built, he could do that. Sadly, it didn't give some people the pedal to the metal finish they wanted to see.

Springs has been pretty clear his brother isn't speaking for him.

Hope so. It's a small sample size, but based on the game here last year and a little bit last night, Springs looks like the kind of strong, physical player who usually plays for MSU, tOSU, WI, etc. who can get a bucket late in a close game on the road in the B1G.

Is this game gonna be replayed on BTN?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what part doesn't make sense to you. I've never attended 4 games in a week at the barn before. Why are you counting a game day as a rest day? After Saturday and Sunday to prepare, they have a game on Monday. After Tuesday to prepare they have a game on Wednesday, they have Thursday to prepare for a game on Friday.

He used more players because he wants his stars fresh for Monday. Given the big lead they built, he could do that. Sadly, it didn't give some people the pedal to the metal finish they wanted to see.

People (at least me) are talking about the entire 2nd half, not the last two minutes when the reserves came in. The intensity (especially defensive) dropped off significantly in the second half where we were out scored 48-38.

What about the minute distribution that was played last night shows that Pitino was resting his players? The only oddity that I see is possibly Murphy only played 18 minutes to Hurt's 12. Murph also had 4 fouls that played into that decision. Otherwise it was a pretty standard rotation.

You're right though, I shorted them 2 hours when I said they had 3 days to recover. But they better get used to 2.8 days rest, it happens quite a bit this season.

Hope so. It's a small sample size, but based on the game here last year and a little bit last night, Springs looks like the kind of strong, physical player who usually plays for MSU, tOSU, WI, etc. who can get a bucket late in a close game on the road in the B1G.
Springs called his brother the Kanye West of the family. Having read the tweets, I think its pretty easy to write him off. But then again, I said that about you-know-who as well.

Totally agree on your enthusiasm for him. We need his power. He's a great addition to this team.

People (at least me) are talking about the entire 2nd half, not the last two minutes when the reserves came in. The intensity (especially defensive) dropped off significantly in the second half where we were out scored 48-38.

What about the minute distribution that was played last night shows that Pitino was resting his players? The only oddity that I see is possibly Murphy only played 18 minutes to Hurt's 12. Murph also had 4 fouls that played into that decision. Otherwise it was a pretty standard rotation.

You're right though, I shorted them 2 hours when I said they had 3 days to recover. But they better get used to 2.8 days rest, it happens quite a bit this season.
I don't think of game day as a rest day. but whatever - you may have the standard thinking on that.
Yes, the second half was dull compared to the first. Pitinos explanation made it a non-issue for me. Have you ever seen a schedule like this with 4 games in a week? They won't have to get used to that.

I don't think of game day as a rest day. but whatever - you may have the standard thinking on that.
Yes, the second half was dull compared to the first. Pitinos explanation made it a non-issue for me. Have you ever seen a schedule like this with 4 games in a week? They won't have to get used to that.

Almost every year we play in a destination tournament where they play 3-4 days in a row. There is also the B1G tournament and the big dance where we would be playing on consecutive days.

I'm not worried about it, I just don't think it's an excuse for not playing tough defense in the second half. It's hard to play intense when you have a 20+ point lead.

I was thrilled with the result yesterday, I think this will be a fun rebound year. I just think it's also a teaching moment to not let up intensity on D.

Make sure you hydrate! :)

Top Bottom