***OFFICIAL INDIANA AT MINNESOTA SENIOR DAY IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Yep, we get a sense this year of what style basketball Johnson is going to play and we get an idea of what kind of player he is going to target.

All things considered the results this year have been encouraging from the standpoint that an undermanned team with a ton of new faces has won a decent number of games and given some tournament caliber teams everything they can handle on a lot of nights.

We won't be winning the NCAA tournament this year so to Barn Burner and a few others the season is a failure but for the rest of us who can see beyond just the record there has been a lot to like this year with this team.
A litany of excuses, mixed with hope!

A lot to like, examples include hero ball, open opponent three's by the handful, and getting your first offensive rebound mid second half.

All things considered.

Thompson was the #186 best player in the nation....and you expect Ben Johnson to "recruit at a higher level than TT can reach".

Yeah....can't fix dumb.
You were too dumb to listen to the announcement and you believe TT was the 186th "best player in the nation"? LOL. Your first year isn't going well.

You were too dumb to listen to the announcement and you believe TT was the 186th "best player in the nation"? LOL. Your first year isn't going well.

According to 247, yes.....he was the 186th ranked player in his class. Seems like your first year in elementary school didn't go so well. Still time to learn numbers.

Recruiting rankings are like advanced analytics, if you dig enough you can find a site or metric that proves a point either way. Same thing with offers. Look at Ahnjay Lee, ohh 4* with a Kansas offer going to UST! I mean sure a site might say that, in reality he's probably in the low 200s. I will say I am very disappointed in TT, I don't know if he's just not that good or Ben didn't do a good job with him. Again 1 year I get it, but we didn't see much development this year. We came in with basically 5 seniors and Battle who were already established as players. Tt thiam etc basically did nothing to show improvement, I feel that is a pretty valid concern going into next year where we are going to have to really rely on some freshman.

Recruiting rankings are like advanced analytics, if you dig enough you can find a site or metric that proves a point either way. Same thing with offers. Look at Ahnjay Lee, ohh 4* with a Kansas offer going to UST! I mean sure a site might say that, in reality he's probably in the low 200s. I will say I am very disappointed in TT, I don't know if he's just not that good or Ben didn't do a good job with him. Again 1 year I get it, but we didn't see much development this year. We came in with basically 5 seniors and Battle who were already established as players. Tt thiam etc basically did nothing to show improvement, I feel that is a pretty valid concern going into next year where we are going to have to really rely on some freshman.

In reality....TT is probably in the low 200s? lol. How do you figure? List of the 100 or so guys that were ranked lower that jump him?

According to 247, yes.....he was the 186th ranked player in his class. Seems like your first year in elementary school didn't go so well. Still time to learn numbers.

And 247 was wrong, not for the first time. There were many more than 186 high school seniors ready to play high level college basketball than Trenton, as proved this year. He was not ready to play Big Ten basketball physically and he does not have exceptional skills to compensate for that.

He may have the potential to contribute here if he gains a lot of weight and strength. Right now he is a 6' 11 guy looking to shoot threes. With Willis, Battle, and Stephens we didn't need that.

If he is going to share time next year with Fox, Ihnen, Payne, and possibly a transfer center, he is going to need the physical strength and mental desire to score inside as well as outside and the toughness to guard a strong interior player. He will need to be a forceful presence as a rebounder.

Right now, any or all of that is just a projection. It will be up to him to make a big transition in physicality and mental approach to get playing time next year.

In reality....TT is probably in the low 200s? lol. How do you figure? List of the 100 or so guys that were ranked lower that jump him?
Didnt say TT was, I said Lee was which I just looked and he is now 202nd. Its not that uncommon for guys to move 100 spots over the years from Fr year in HS to Sr.

And 247 was wrong, not for the first time. There were many more than 186 high school seniors ready to play high level college basketball than Trenton, as proved this year. He was not ready to play Big Ten basketball physically and he does not have exceptional skills to compensate for that.

He may have the potential to contribute here if he gains a lot of weight and strength. Right now he is a 6' 11 guy looking to shoot threes. With Willis, Battle, and Stephens we didn't need that.

If he is going to share time next year with Fox, Ihnen, Payne, and possibly a transfer center, he is going to need the physical strength and mental desire to score inside as well as outside and the toughness to guard a strong interior player. He will need to be a forceful presence as a rebounder.

Right now, any or all of that is just a projection. It will be up to him to make a big transition in physicality and mental approach to get playing time next year.

Saying that 247 was wrong is complete nonsense at this point in time. Not to mention that....while 247 had him as the 23rd center.....Rivals had him at 22 and ESPN at 24. So it's not like 247 had a much higher opinion that other scouting services.

The fact is that most centers need to build size and muscle in order to compete at the college level. And just out of curiosity.....I decided to look at other centers in Thompson's class. He was 23rd ranked at 247. Each one of the 22 ahead of him placed in the Top 150 overall.

Only 9 have clocked over ten minutes per game....which includes 7 of the top 11 centers in the class. Most have played even less than Thompson has. But how can that be? Are they all busts? Or are most centers simply not ready as true freshman? You should be able to figure that one out.

According to who? You? Or are you buddies with Mccafery, Moser and Chris Beard????
Yes. Yes I am. I think it’s pretty well documented that he fell hard as a recruit. When did those offers come in?

sorry I don’t believe those teams really wanted Thompson. And I don’t think he’d have a plethora of P6 options in the portal.

it’s almost like as his stock fell, he got less interest and the gophers (Pitino) hung on once he committed. https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Treyton-Thompson-at-La-Lumiere-School-252654/RecruitRankHistory/

As for Thompson, all you need for a comp is Crowl at Wisconsin. He scored 8 points all of last year and now he’s very serviceable…..give the kid a chance. It’s up to him if he wants to put the work in…….
Big guys take longer to develop, TT has a lot of potential, should be better next year, I think 2 years down the line is when you are going to see a big difference.

As for Thompson, all you need for a comp is Crowl at Wisconsin. He scored 8 points all of last year and now he’s very serviceable…..give the kid a chance. It’s up to him if he wants to put the work in…….
We stink at getting white mn kids.

Big guys take longer to develop, TT has a lot of potential, should be better next year, I think 2 years down the line is when you are going to see a big difference.
Do you see TT as an inside or outside player? I think that’s one of the issues with his evaluations.

Saying that 247 was wrong is complete nonsense at this point in time. Not to mention that....while 247 had him as the 23rd center.....Rivals had him at 22 and ESPN at 24. So it's not like 247 had a much higher opinion that other scouting services.

The fact is that most centers need to build size and muscle in order to compete at the college level. And just out of curiosity.....I decided to look at other centers in Thompson's class. He was 23rd ranked at 247. Each one of the 22 ahead of him placed in the Top 150 overall.

Only 9 have clocked over ten minutes per game....which includes 7 of the top 11 centers in the class. Most have played even less than Thompson has. But how can that be? Are they all busts? Or are most centers simply not ready as true freshman? You should be able to figure that one out.
Look, I know you are a first year newbie but even a little fella should be smart enough to know most highly recruited big men go to good teams with strong post players returning. And that's why most don't play a lot as freshmen. Daniel Oturo being an exception because of his strength.

We have a relatively weak team and our glaring weakness is interior, especially defense and rebounding. Curry was in no condition to play more than 15 minutes a game and in better circumstances Charlie would rarely see the floor. There was no better place than Minnesota for Treyton to play a lot and make an impact. He isn't ready.

Look, I know you are a first year newbie but even a little fella should be smart enough to know most highly recruited big men go to good teams with strong post players returning. And that's why most don't play a lot as freshmen. Daniel Oturo being an exception because of his strength.

We have a relatively weak team and our glaring weakness is interior, especially defense and rebounding. Curry was in no condition to play more than 15 minutes a game and in better circumstances Charlie would rarely see the floor. There was no better place than Minnesota for Treyton to play a lot and make an impact. He isn't ready.

Houston, Memphis, Xavier, Georgetown, Nebraska, Louisville, Washington, Indiana, Colorado, Uconn, Arizona State are just a few of the teams that more highly rated centers went. None of these teams are world beaters right now. So again.....why aren't their freshman big men logging significant minutes? And if they are so strong in the interior....why didn't they simply redshirt these players.

We all know the answer. You can quit doubling down on the faceplant. But then again....you were exposed as dopey a few months back. Now you just seem to be on a mission to let everybody on the board know it.

Good call....Spaulding is working really hard to make this all about race for some reason.
This is new to you? He's been doing so for a long time now.

As one who was absolutely shocked we would hire a coach with this thin of a resume, I have to say I’m greatly encouraged. I didn’t think they’d win 10 games, and they got that done in the non-conference schedule. I wasn’t expecting any competitive games in the B1G, but they won 4 and came very close on many more. So, if Ben Johnson can take this island of misfit toys team and do what he’s done, we should be good if he can recruit competitive talent.

This is new to you? He's been doing so for a long time now.
Not surprised to hear that, I guess I haven't paid real close attention to Spaulding's ramblings in the past.

Houston, Memphis, Xavier, Georgetown, Nebraska, Louisville, Washington, Indiana, Colorado, Uconn, Arizona State are just a few of the teams that more highly rated centers went. None of these teams are world beaters right now. So again.....why aren't their freshman big men logging significant minutes? And if they are so strong in the interior....why didn't they simply redshirt these players.

We all know the answer. You can quit doubling down on the faceplant. But then again....you were exposed as dopey a few months back. Now you just seem to be on a mission to let everybody on the board know it.
So you think Thompson would have played more at Indiana this year than Minnesota????? At Houston???? Memphis????

What a moron. Now it is obvious why you were too stupid to know when Senior Day would be? Wait, don't they usually do it on the 4th of July? Winter Carnival? Boxing Day? ROTFLMAO at the little fella newbie buffoon.

So you think Thompson would have played more at Indiana this year than Minnesota????? At Houston???? Memphis????

What a moron. Now it is obvious why you were too stupid to know when Senior Day would be? Wait, don't they usually do it on the 4th of July? Winter Carnival? Boxing Day? ROTFLMAO at the little fella newbie buffoon.

Since I never said that.....I'll have to assume that this is a mental disorder kicking in. Actually makes a lot of sense based upon your short and bombastic history of bad takes here on GH.

No.....what I've said is that very few true freshman big men (outside of the top two or three) have played significant roles regardless of what team they are on. In fact.....Thompson has played a more significant role than most of the centers rated ahead of him in the class. A lot of that has to do with need at the position. But any person with an ounce of common sense can see that freshman centers/power forwards aren't (typically) physically prepared to compete at the college level.....especially in a conference like the Big Ten.

You think his role on the team is a sign that he was overrated coming out of high school. All evidence points to that being a really stupid logic jump. But thanks for the lousy opinions. A real good reminder that idiots are all around us.

TT can't play defense. He can't. You can hide him in a zone against some teams, but against other teams he gets exposed.

Top Bottom