***OFFICIAL ILLINOIS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Agreed that there are not good options off the bench. And I'd also say that with anybody who is depended on to provide outside shooting, you're going to have some bad decisions and poor shots heaved up. That's happening with Battle more this year. Part of the problem is spacing. Last year, when there were at least 3 other shooters on the court, Battle had more room to operate and put the ball on the floor if needed.

So far, JOJ, Payne, and Henley have not shown any ability to knock down outside shots. Samuels and Carrington have had some moments, but no consistency. This team already lacks overall quickness-if you add an inability to shoot the 3, you have congested lanes and few successful drives to the hoop. We can only hope that all of these guys spend much of their off-season with boatloads of outside shots and free throws.
Agreed. I think Battle would be a little better player with a few less minutes. Carrington, Cooper and Garcia can all shoot the ball. It's not a real good shooting team but things get worse when shots are forced.

I don’t think it necessarily needs to happen slowly and methodically, however we really need to eliminate the heat check from our offense until we have less than 5 seconds on the shot clock. Value each possession, forget the last, work for the easiest shot possible 30 seconds at a time, try to shoot shots that your offense has practiced (hopefully) every day for the last two years under CBJ.

I know Battle can win us a game or two if he gets hot, but he can’t carry the offense in the way he is trying.
CBJ should implement the NBA Hangtime (N64) rules, in order to take a heat check, you are required to make 3 shots in a row, thus you are "on fire". Then you can take your heat check!

Agreed. I think Battle would be a little better player with a few less minutes. Carrington, Cooper and Garcia can all shoot the ball. It's not a real good shooting team but things get worse when shots are forced.
The numbers would tell you otherwise on Carrington's shooting ability.

The numbers would tell you otherwise on Carrington's shooting ability.
Well... he is shooting threes at a 29% clip (62 attempts) and Battle at 31%(90 attempts). So with that sampling, Battle makes 2 more per 100....by the numbers.

Well... he is shooting threes at a 29% clip (62 attempts) and Battle at 31%(90 attempts). So with that sampling, Battle makes 2 more per 100....by the numbers.
Carrington being a non-shooter my point. Yes Battle is shooting terrible this year, coupled with bad shot selection, but Carrington is plain bad from beyond the three point line (or mid-range).

Carrington being a non-shooter my point. Yes Battle is shooting terrible this year, coupled with bad shot selection, but Carrington is plain bad from beyond the three point line (or mid-range).

that, to me, is one of the issues/questions with this team.

Carrington - Mr Basketball in MN HS - was billed as a good outside shooter and a heady player. so far, he just hasn't lived up to the billing.

Look - going from HS to college - especially a P5 D1 program - is a big adjustment. If I was being kind, I would say Carrington is not handling that adjustment very well to this point.

of the FR class, they all have some ability/potential, but they also all have flaws in their game. so it becomes a case of "can they improve" and "how fast can they improve?"

best case scenario - all of the FR learn from the experience and are more productive players next year.

worst case scenario - they don't learn and are not more productive, or they leave.

right now, Henley looks to me as if he is the furthest away from being a contributor.

that, to me, is one of the issues/questions with this team.

Carrington - Mr Basketball in MN HS - was billed as a good outside shooter and a heady player. so far, he just hasn't lived up to the billing.

Look - going from HS to college - especially a P5 D1 program - is a big adjustment. If I was being kind, I would say Carrington is not handling that adjustment very well to this point.

of the FR class, they all have some ability/potential, but they also all have flaws in their game. so it becomes a case of "can they improve" and "how fast can they improve?"

best case scenario - all of the FR learn from the experience and are more productive players next year.

worst case scenario - they don't learn and are not more productive, or they leave.

right now, Henley looks to me as if he is the furthest away from being a contributor.
Henley has great potential. He has speed and length and he like Carrington is a kid that was a good shooter and will be again. He can beat people off the dribble - he just has a lot to learn. Watch him on defense - he's tough.

Henley has great potential. He has speed and length and he like Carrington is a kid that was a good shooter and will be again. He can beat people off the dribble - he just has a lot to learn. Watch him on defense - he's tough.
He should be learning in the WCC conference, not the B10

He should be learning in the WCC conference, not the B10
Henley has had a very challenging year, but he will be a legit Big Ten player. The kid is 6'7, handles the ball well, is a very good athlete, moves well side to side and will be an excellent defensive player. He is one of the few players on the Gophers who can get by people off the dribble. He was known as a pretty good shooter in the past and just hasn't shot well so far. He's a kid who will be able to help the team even if he's not shooting well, but I do think his shot will come around.

I look forward to seeing him with some more time under his belt and with another 15-20 lbs next year. I know he hasn't showed much so far, but the kid has ability.

Top Bottom