***OFFICIAL ILLINOIS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

If you read enough of his posts......you'll realize that he is in fact special. Like his parents, classmates, and teachers found out.
You have been missing on the other board. Oh wait, classified documents.

Lol I am far from that Oldy Locks. I wouldn’t be surprised if you were the Gopher fan sitting next to me crying for over-the-back calls all game as if such an infraction exists.

I'm almost 40, so definitely not hip, but even I know that saying "OK boomer" is about 7 years outdated. So if you're younger than me, you need to get out a little more.

MN played a controlled, value-each-possession game (boring WI BB) and was playing ILL even up at the half.
At the start of the second half, ILL went up-tempo playground BB and MN fell into the trap.
What were the PPP for MN in the first half compared to the second half?
Illinois was in deep foul trouble in the first half. Brandon Lieb had played one Big Ten minute so far until tonight. The deep reserves kept Illinois in the game until halftime. Then the regulars took over.

Payne has to develop a 15 to 18 foot game. His guy just clogs the lane when he gets the ball at the free throw line and dares him to shoot it.
The coaches need to let him shoot it. It’s obvious he has been told not to. We are going to lose anyway. Open it up for the kid. Let him be instinctive.

have an extra Oreo cookie before bed tonight Robert
I don't eat much sugar. At my age, I don't burn the calories like I used to.

Can you imagine being such a social disappointment that an old man on a message board is more hip than you? LOL. You need to get out more.

You need to comprehend the concept of grammar and punctuation before you can troll.
I don't eat much sugar. At my age, I don't burn the calories like I used to.

Can you imagine being such a social disappointment that an old man on a message board is more hip than you? LOL. You need to get out more.
@Slim Tubby sorry ass fan base 😂 I L L

@Slim Tubby sorry ass fan base 😂 I L L
You have to get out more young fella. You're looking like a boomer amongst boomers and now you're fighting with folks because your outdated jokes were called out.

I'm not really sure what the cool kids your age do, but I know it isn't this. Try to make a friend your age. Hopefully you have a cousin or something that can be guilted into letting you hand around and you can figure out what kids your age are doing and you can avoid these situations. It's pretty pathetic.

If you need help, run it by this board. If we know it, it's outdated. If we know it's outdated, you're f'd. Right not, you're f'd.

You have to get out more young fella. You're looking like a boomer amongst boomers and now you're fighting with folks because your outdated jokes were called out.

I'm not really sure what the cool kids your age do, but I know it isn't this. Try to make a friend your age. Hopefully you have a cousin or something that can be guilted into letting you hand around and you can figure out what kids your age are doing and you can avoid these situations. It's pretty pathetic.

If you need help, run it by this board. If we know it, it's outdated. If we know it's outdated, you're f'd. Right not, you're f'd.
try calling your ex-wife one more time, she might pick up. Have a good night.

Carrington will be a very good shooting guard. It's still early in the process.

Nice play to give him a good look.

Tam Stats 2nd half
Game Stats
Illinois
Minnesota
Points3718
FG14-256-25
FG%56.024.0
3P2-50-6
3P%40.00.0
FT7-106-12
FT%70.050.0
Rebounds2311
Offensive Rebounds65
Defensive Rebounds176
Ties00
Lead Changes00
Time with Lead15:171:01
Lead % of Game42.12.8
Last Lead36-35
Last Lead: Time17:54 (2nd)
Largest Lead251
Largest Lead: Score72-4736-35
Largest Lead: Time4:32 (2nd)18:55 (2nd)
Assists73
Turnovers51
Bench Points95
Blocks31
On Court Points2738
Fastbreak Points51
Steals13
Points off Turnovers10
Points in the Paint248
Second Chance Points62
Personal Fouls107
Technical Fouls01
Was at the game. I knew it was bad, but holy crap, that is bad.

I watched The Vikings yesterday with the softest defense they've ever had.

I just watched an embarrassing wolves defensive game. Gave up 39 in the fourth and couldn't stop a gnat.

You just said poor defense in this one. No toughness or physicality to speak of.

That's 9 hours of gawd -awful defense.

Can I get an award or something?
I was at 2 out of those 3 games (Vikings and Gophers). You aren't getting jack squat until I get something first! :)

The coaches need to let him shoot it. It’s obvious he has been told not to. We are going to lose anyway. Open it up for the kid. Let him be instinctive.
I'm guessing he doesn't want to shoot it. He knows he can't. My question: When we start the game Garcia plays Payne's spot....he has the ball at the top of the circle, he is a threat to shoot, he can drive, he can pass, he can dribble, he's a threat to the defense. They have to defend him.

WHY would you run the same offense and put Payne there?? He can't shoot, he needs a wide open receiver 30 feet from the basket to pass, you don't want him dribbling at 25 feet from the hoop. He can hand it off to somebody but if they double team trap him out there he's gonna have trouble. It's just a really bad idea to put him in that position. Post him up on the block. Let him set some screens down low but don't make him the ball handler at the top of the key.
His strength is physicality, not ball handling, passing and shooting. If somebody shoots he can't rebound he's 20 feet from the hoop. He is not drawing any defender out....they have an extra defender to clog the lane so nobody else can drive, cut or postup. Its too many games old....what are we watching?

Mic'd up we had a purpose on offense, a plan. Vs Illinois it was back to I don't know what we are doing but I think it's my turn.
They had decent looks, they just missed a lot of shots at the rim due to length/blocks or just straight up missing. Also shot 60% at the line when they fouled a bunch in the 2nd half. Recipe for a blowout when the other team is playing elite offense.

Last edited:

I'm guessing he doesn't want to shoot it. He knows he can't. My question: When we start the game Garcia plays Payne's spot....he has the ball at the top of the circle, he is a threat to shoot, he can drive, he can pass, he can dribble, he's a threat to the defense. They have to defend him.

WHY would you run the same offense and put Payne there?? He can't shoot, he needs a wide open receiver 30 feet from the basket to pass, you don't want him dribbling at 25 feet from the hoop. He can hand it off to somebody but if they double team trap him out there he's gonna have trouble. It's just a really bad idea to put him in that position. Post him up on the block. Let him set some screens down low but don't make him the ball handler at the top of the key.
His strength is physicality, not ball handling, passing and shooting. If somebody shoots he can't rebound he's 20 feet from the hoop. He is not drawing any defender out....they have an extra defender to clog the lane so nobody else can drive, cut or postup. Its too many games old....what are we watching?
yup. 100%

just doesn't make sense to keep putting him in those type of spots.

IF TT transferred to Syracuse, played the outside bottom of the 2-3 zone and shoots threes, he might be all conference.
Not a chance. Simply rewatch the last defensive series at the end of the 1st half where TT is slow to rotate on the 2-3 zone and Mayer drains a corner 3.

May I ask what you see in Thompson that the coaching staff is missing?

Gophers lose to Illinois 78-60 as old issues resurface that leave Ben Johnson disappointed​

The Gophers had been more competitive in their last three games, but were held to 36% shooting and beat up in rebounding margin and points in the paint against the Illini.

"....Poor free-throw shooting. Being bullied on the boards and in the paint. Long scoring droughts."

Read more at:

I'm guessing he doesn't want to shoot it. He knows he can't.
He is practicing 7 days a week. Most of us on this board could shoot that shot at 50% or better. He is getting offered free throws. He shoots 50% from the line- I'll take that versus our 40+% team average. I think it is confidence more than anything and the coaches have told him- don't shoot. If he is not allowed to shoot there or won't, then don't play him there...as you say below we are offering the other team a 4 on 5 offense:
My question: When we start the game Garcia plays Payne's spot....he has the ball at the top of the circle, he is a threat to shoot, he can drive, he can pass, he can dribble, he's a threat to the defense. They have to defend him.
Yep
Yep
We aren't watching a well coached team.

There are just so many things wrong here in terms of player usage, roster construction, shot selection and defense. Cooper is shooting 55% from 3 pt range and has shot 45 of them. Battle has shot 90 and is 31%, Carrington has shot 68 of them and is 29%. Get some shots for Cooper- he makes them. Did the coaches consider going zone when they were getting scorched by the drive in the second half? Or some change of defensive strategy?

Last edited:

Top Bottom