***OFFICIAL I SUPPORT COACH BREWSTER THREAD***

But how did it work out for Wacker?

He was fired. Oh, I see your point now. That gives me a new idea. Let's hire a new coach, and then after one year it will be obvious what he'll be like as a long term coach. Then we can fire him or extend him for life.

I support his recruiting, but I question his coaching. I support him returning next season, but I think his results should determine whether he's fired or his contract is renewed.

I support Brewster.

But if Adam Weber is our starting QB vs. Middle Tennessee St. next year, that will be the moment my support for Brewster ends.

His baffling support for a horrible, horrible QB may end up being his downfall.

Why fire a coach after only two full recruiting classes and two bowl games? I could see it if we had a Syracuse/Greg Robinson-esque meltdown but geez...

Keep in mind that other circumstances besides winning or losing contribute to whether or not a coach should be retained, and/or how his success is measured. If Texas Tech beats us in a hard fought game in the 2006 Insight Bowl, it is very, very likely Mason keeps his job for at least 1 more year. If the Insight Bowl played out the way it did, but Mason didn't have the previous history of collapses (i.e. Michigan 4th quarter, wisconsin blocked punt, etc.), he very, very likely keeps his job for at least 1 more year. The way they lost to Texas Tech combined with the history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is what lead to Mason's demise. Not the fact that those games registered in the loss column.

We all thought the Gophers would be around 6-6 or 7-5 this year. A large portion of us were fine with that. However, other circumstances soured the season even though we very well may end up with a record most of us were fine with in August. I believe the following circumstances contribute to what should be looked at as a less than adequate performance by the Gophers this year:

Cal didn't end up as good as advertised so even though we didn't expect to win that game, you can't say it was a good loss since it was at home. I admit, this is hindsight but should be considered.

We had a golden (pun intended) opportunity to beat wisconsin but blew it. Penalties, turnovers, and getting outcoached by a half wit in the 2nd half was disappointing to say the least.

We got blown out ugly at OSU and PSU. Yeah, maybe we knew we were going to lose those games, but God we stunk up the joint in both games. None of us should be fine with either game.

Absolutely atrocious we lost to Illinois at home. Bad, bad loss. On the road would have been bitter, but at home was embarrassing.

We struggled to beat Syracuse on the road and SDSU at home. These are 2 bad teams and we should have won by 2 TD's in both. Syracuse could be attributed to first game jitters and rust so I'll give a pass on that one, but the SDSU performance was inexcusable.

All that being said, I support our coach. I don't want him fired yet. But if there isn't improvement next year, my support will not be as strong. I realize our home schedule is wicked tough next year, but they don't have to win to show improvement. If they play strong competitive football without the number of mistakes and bad play we saw this year, I will continue to have Brewster's back. This team could very well go 5-7 or maybe a little worse next year with a season that I could consider improved. Basically, I want to see some evidence that Brewster is learning on the job. So far, I don't think there is enough information to determine either way. I'm cheering for him though. There's nothing I want more than for him to figure it out and be a main stay for decades to come.

Go Brewster, and go Gophers!!

Sign me up. In fact sign me up on keeping both of our co-odinators for more then 2year stretches.

I'm gonna support him through next year. Something about 'get your dad gum chili hot' that's endearing to me

I will be 100% supportive to Brew and his staff through the length of his current contract. Reacting any earlier would be knee-jerkish.

I support Univerisity of Minnesota Golden Gophers coach Tim Brewster 100%.

I'm with Coach Brewster through next year, at least. Things need to continue to improve and evolve, both on and off the field. There have been positive signs, and we're playing a much tougher schedule now. His optimism and drive go a long way for me.

Top Bottom