***OFFICIAL GOPHERS VS SAN JOSE STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Streveler limping pretty bad...hopefully nothing more then just wear and tear from all the carries.

Rhoda looked awesome. Start him next week!

2 carries I think. Our offense is basically Cobb up the middle and Streveler around the end. Brad Childress loves it.

Ugh, well that's awesome. Not to say Cobb didn't deserve the carries, but I hope he gets more this season. Given his pedigree, I worry some that he might get frustrated and consider transferring. Granted, we have some pretty good backs, but depth is key.

Obviously the inability to do things of offense that will be necessary against good teams was disappointing, but, for the most part, the defense played a fine game throughout. Despite some significant losses from last year's team, the defense appears to be ahead of last year's defense at the same point in the season.

Good win guys???

Any win is a good win but it was not an impressive performance. Against a defense that could tackle and stop the run at all the offense would have been in a lot of trouble.

The running game was pretty good and the defense looked solid again. Two turnovers inside the San Jose 10 are mistakes this offense can't make going forward. I thought the reffing was awful all day from horrible missed calls to some bad ones made that probably shouldn't have been. There weren't a whole lot of passes called but I noticed on a couple of them Streveler was quick to look to run instead of getting through his reads. Was Marcus Jones injured or just replaced? Noticed Myrick and Johnson were the 2 deep guys on kick return to start the 2nd half and James was the return man on the late punt return.

Jones let a punt roll that he should have fielded. Those kinds of f$$$ ups are Jone's forte. There is a real risk of the ball bouncing and hitting one of our guys. Need to fair catch those.

We win. 3-1 heading into league play. 3 more wins get us to a bowl. Ask me how I feel again in 6 weeks, but today, I feel OK. We need to win those 3 games in league play before the end of Oct or we may be in real trouble.

We win. 3-1 heading into league play. 3 more wins get us to a bowl. Ask me how I feel again in 6 weeks, but today, I feel OK. We need to win those 3 games in league play before the end of Oct or we may be in real trouble.

Is 6 wins the goal in year 4 with a terrible conference?

If the team threw for 375 and ran for nothing, would anyone care?

It's not just about the inept passing in this game alone, it is about the fact that our passing game has not looked good in any game this year and it doesn't seem to be getting better as the season goes on.

Is 6 wins the goal in year 4 with a terrible conference?

Im so glad you can count. No, 6 wins isn't the goal, but being at 6 wins at the end of October (win 3 of next 4 before our bye week) is the goal. That way our final 4 games, which are considered by many to be our toughest 4 games are about going beyond and getting that NYD bowl or even to the B1G Champ game...if we aren't at 6 wins by the end of Oct, we might be in trouble.

Haven't read the whole thread but.....
Starting QB out
potential all B1G TE out
other players are banged up

So, the coaching staff designs the safest possible game plan - keep running until the other team stops it. They never stopped it. Oldest coaching adage in the book: play to your strengths, and minimize your weaknesses.

The second-guessing on this board is getting old. The Gophs didn't look great, but they won. (with apologies) THAT IS THE KIND OF TEAM THEY ARE. They aren't going to score a lot of style points, or blow people out. It is what it is. If you want to root for a flashy, high-scoring team, that is not the Gophs. Maybe some people on this board should stick to watching the SEC network.

I swear there are people on here who aren't happy unless they are complaining. BTW, I thought Streveler actually threw a few nice balls, but the d-backs made good plays on them. The long pass to Maye was very catchable, but the d-back made a good play to strip the ball.

Bottom line - a RS Fr making his first D-1 college start ran for 160 yards and the team won.

Haven't read the whole thread but.....
Starting QB out
potential all B1G TE out
other players are banged up

So, the coaching staff designs the safest possible game plan - keep running until the other team stops it. They never stopped it. Oldest coaching adage in the book: play to your strengths, and minimize your weaknesses.

The second-guessing on this board is getting old. The Gophs didn't look great, but they won. (with apologies) THAT IS THE KIND OF TEAM THEY ARE. They aren't going to score a lot of style points, or blow people out. It is what it is. If you want to root for a flashy, high-scoring team, that is not the Gophs. Maybe some people on this board should stick to watching the SEC network.

I swear there are people on here who aren't happy unless they are complaining. BTW, I thought Streveler actually threw a few nice balls, but the d-backs made good plays on them. The long pass to Maye was very catchable, but the d-back made a good play to strip the ball.

Bottom line - a RS Fr making his first D-1 college start ran for 160 yards and the team won.

I agree. The offseason is when major changes are made. I'm glad the OL showed up after getting whipped last week.

Streveler took some terrific hits - reminded me of old Joe Kapp (or more recently, Weber, who was black and blue from all the pounding). We need a QB who can pass, hand-off, and run some of the time.

We need a QB who can pass, hand-off, and run some of the time.

And if that QB is not on the roster, what do you do - forfeit the rest of the season, or try to design a game plan that gives you the best chance to win? Sure, I'd like to see the Gophs have a QB that can put up respectable numbers in the passing game (and why they don't have that player is a conversation for a different thread), but until they have that guy, I have no problem with how the coaches handled the San Jose game.

Well let's see....we ran it in all 4 games last year when Claeys was the HC. Never ran it before and never ran it
after when Kill returned to the sideline...

I guess I can add. Pretty simple.

We have three legit threats (Jones, Maye, Edwards) to run that play and it's been ran only once all season and to Fruechte.

Think.

I was at the game and then a wedding today so just catching up with everything.

Thank you for this entertaining post. I literally laughed out loud. Although I am frustrated just like most in the lack of creative plays like jet sweeps and screens, you're making a huge guess with this one.

You say "Think". Here are two simple arguments against your speculation that took me about 10 seconds of "thinking" to come up with.

1. Claeys was the acting head coach, but it is highly unlikely that he had much to do with the offensive gameplan. Since he is also the d-coordinator, he has his own things to worry about.

2. When Kill wasn't on the sidelines, he was literally sitting a few feet from Limegrover. Why wouldn't Kill be even more involved in the offensive gameplan/playcalling when he doesn't have to worry about the regular in-game head coaching duties?

You very well could be right but stop acting like it is just that simple. Just because you essentially say something is a fact doesn't make it a fact.

By the way, Jones had carries in seven different games last year.

Forgive me, I was at the game and have't watched the replay yet. Why was Kill so mad about the 12 men on the field call late in the game? Was there not 12 on the field?

Forgive me, I was at the game and have't watched the replay yet. Why was Kill so mad about the 12 men on the field call late in the game? Was there not 12 on the field?
I am

They didn't have a great TV angle of it but it certainly looked like we had guys that were jogging off the field and didn't make it in time. Who knows what exactly Kill was pissed about in that situation but I think the call was right.

I believe some press mentioned Kill was mad the officials weren't standing over the ball and giving them time to substitute in those situations. I also saw one of the SJSU writers mentioned he wasn't sure if the Gophers had 12 on the field or not but that SJSU definitely had 12 on the field for that punt.

Top Bottom