***OFFICIAL GOPHERS VS MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I'm a realist, too, and am tired of moral victories. Nevertheless, that doesn't preclude me from pointing out things I like, or places where I see improvement. There is an existence in between the lunatic fringe that exists on both ends. You do realize that, right?

Thank you, SS.

I took a break from the home improvement project and watched enough of the game to know the outcome. I'm not your typical Gopher fan in that I don't pump myself up with a 12-0 football prediction nor do I pump myself up with some BS "just wait until next season" mentality. If you've paid any attention over the past years we're always "waiting until next season" and then we're always disappointed. The Gophers may be marginally better next season in basketball but I'm not getting my hopes up.

My apologies if it doesn't gel with the thoughts of most of you on the board. You may be sunshine and unicorns but I'm a realist.
I an sorry but thinking the team will be .500 in conference and on the bubble isn't sunshine and unicorns. If anything you're a narcissist

No, I am not and I think I made that clear. Lickliter was a complete failure in his three years and Pitino hasn't been.

The main theme of my post was that I don't see any clear evidence that a quick firing leads to significant damage to a program and its national reputation. The Lickliter situation is just one example of that but there are others (Pat Knight at Texas Tech, Billie Gillespie at Kentucky). I'm sure I could come up with others if I cared to take the time. I think you would have a harder time finding examples of firings that you could link conclusively to significant damage of a program and its reputation. Puncturing a purely speculative theory is always much easier than demonstrating one.

Billy G replaced Pat Knight at Texas Tech, the team got worse, got canned almost just as quickly and ironically tubby is cleaning up the mess of the man who was suppose to take Kentucky to greater heights than Tubby could

Billy G replaced Pat Knight at Texas Tech, the team got worse, got canned almost just as quickly and ironically tubby is cleaning up the mess of the man who was suppose to take Kentucky to greater heights than Tubby could

Your sense of causality is amiss and your timing is a bit off as well. Firing Pat Knight didn't hurt the program. Hiring Gillespie did. They were still able to attract a prominent coach. Unfortunately for them, he was a ticking time bomb. The good part of that bad hire was that they were able to get rid of him after only one year due to cause (mistreatment of players and other violations).

Pat Knight's subsequent head coaching history at Lamar pretty much ratifies Tech's decision to fire him. He lasted only three full years there as well.

Could part of the reason for the 'great crowd' be the fact it was a Saturday afternoon game? They have been few and far between the last few years.

Just wondering.

Northwestern attendance will be good barometer

Could part of the reason for the 'great crowd' be the fact it was a Saturday afternoon game? They have been few and far between the last few years.

Just wondering.

That's certainly part of it, but I think it being #1 Michigan State had a lot more to do with it. The Northwestern attendance should give us a better barometer of what's likely to be a normal home crowd this season, an opponent not named MSU, Wisconsin, or Indiana, three that usually draw well.

That's certainly part of it, but I think it being #1 Michigan State had a lot more to do with it. The Northwestern attendance should give us a better barometer of what's likely to be a normal home crowd this season, an opponent not named MSU, Wisconsin, or Indiana, three that usually draw well.
I agree - the game is listed as 1:30p on the Northwestern site so that should be a plus.

People that bought the three pack generally pick one of those teams, significantly less will have chosen Northwestern, have to make it up with single game tickets which is unlikely.

Agreed, I think Maryland and Purdue will draw well since they're having good years, NW and Illinois will probably be on the lower end with Rutgers. Be interesting to see those numbers. Michigan usually draws a good crowd too

Top Bottom