***OFFICIAL GOPHERS VS MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
This game was never going to be easy for the Gophers. But throw on the fact that Michigan State lost their Big Ten opener, one can't imagine an 0-2 start is in the plans for Izzo. Any shot we have includes Murphy staying out of foul trouble. It would be nice if we can limit turnovers as well. Let's hope the Gopher crowd that has been hibernating so far this year comes out and has a reason to get rowdy.

GET 'ER DONE PITINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Valentine still out for MSU? Oakland pushed State to double OT. I would like to hope for a miracle win for the Gophers, but I will be thrilled if we keep it close.

Technically, they are still #1 in the country. They won't be on Monday, but it still counts as a victory over #1 if you take them down today.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Is Valentine still out for MSU? Oakland pushed State to double OT. I would like to hope for a miracle win for the Gophers, but I will be thrilled if we keep it close.

Probably. News posted on 12/21/15 said he would be out 2 to 3 weeks. Even if he were able to play, I don't know why they would feel pressured to play him in today's game.

Iowa dismantled Michigan State last Tuesday. Nevertheless, Michigan State is a 9.5 point favorite today. I would be surprised with a much closer final margin unless this team somehow manages to play at least 30 minutes of good basketball.

From the East Lansing Journal

•MSUupdate: The Spartans took their first loss of the season in their second game without star Denzel Valentine, falling 83-70 at Iowa on Tuesday. It wasn’t an unexpected loss, given the Hawkeyes’ experience and hunger — no one on that roster had ever beaten MSU. A lot of teams in the Big Ten will lose at Iowa. Not as many at Minnesota. That makes today’s game important in the Big Ten race, because other contenders aren’t likely to have a loss to the Gophers. The Spartans should have learned over the last two games that nothing comes easy without Valentine. Toughness, rebounding and defense are their ticket to surviving the rest of Valentine’s absence. Eron Harris has found his game offensively in Valentine’s place, scoring 27 and 21 points, respectively, against Oakland and Iowa. Marvin Clark moved into the starting lineup at power forward against Iowa, replacing Javon Bess. Izzo will coach today and then attend his father’s funeral on Sunday in Iron Mountain. Carl Izzo died on Monday at the age of 90.

•Minnesota update: Minnesota, which began the season 5-2 and beat Clemson in the ACC/Big Ten challenge, has fallen hard of late. The Gophers have lost five of their last six games, including back-to-back at home to South Dakota and South Dakota State. They dropped their Big Ten opener Wednesday at Ohio State, 78-63. Minnesota’s issues aren’t isolated. Defending, rebounding, shooting — it’s all been a struggle at times. The Gophers are led offensively by 6-foot-9 Drake graduate transfer Joey King (13.2 ppg., 28 3s) and sophomore point guard Nate Mason (12.3 points, 4.2 assists). The up-and-comer to watch, however, is freshman forward Jordan Murphy, who’s tallied a double-double in each of the Gophers’ last six games.

•Prediction: MSU isn’t going to win easily on the road until Valentine returns. As long as the Spartans embrace that mindset early in this game, they can bully Minnesota on the boards and should have enough offense to win this one without sweating through the final minute. MSU made just 3 of 13 3-pointers at Iowa. The long-range shot is too much a part of MSU’s game to win without it.

» Make it: MSU 75, Minnesota 68

— Graham Couch

"As long as the Spartans embrace that mindset early in this game, they can bully Minnesota on the boards and should have enough offense to win this one without sweating through the final minute. MSU made just 3 of 13 3-pointers at Iowa. The long-range shot is too much a part of MSU’s game to win without it."

Hard to disagree with the "bullying on the boards" part. As far as their 3 point shooting woes, visiting a team that allows a 38% 3 pt shooting average should help with that.

I'm predicting Mason will get the call while driving to the hoop at some point this season. It may take 50 tries but it will happen.

Hey look what happens when you play with energy.

And keeping that lazy slow King on the bench !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murphy is good now.....he's gonna be great if he improves at all

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

King stands outside and watches everyone else rebound

Don't need three pointers now. Work that Murphy kid

At some point you have to get it inside if they're going to let you. I know there isn't much confidence in many of the big guys but at least try.

No post presents at all...sad

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

King stands in the corner and never even thinks about rebounding. Damn he sucks

Why is half our team standing at top of the key when we have one guy shooting?

Just rewound the game to see what Pitino was so upset about. Schilling set a pretty good moving screen on Mason.

If we are just shooting badly today we are winning. Unfortunately we are shooting even worse than badly.

You ever get the impression that a couple of our guys just fire up a shot because they're thinking "hey, I haven't shot in a while"? It's rare to find guys who will sacrifice they're own ego for what seems to be working.

Top Bottom