***OFFICIAL GOPHERS VS. LOUISVILLE ARMED FORCES CLASSIC IN-GAME THREAD***

There will be many games where King hits those treys, Mason makes those early FT's. We will be OK. Down the road, Bakary and Jon. N. will be those athletic big men we need. I like Joey King, but there were many times we were putting on the full court with him. No offense to him, but our athleticism will get better.

Yes, we will be fine. We came in a projected bubble team, and we played a top 10 squad that was ready to go defensively. It will be a good loss and hopefully make our guys better.

Missed the game, just got done watching it. My observations:

-Andre looks back to Andre, hopefully he keeps it up.
-Make free throws!!!
-Mason played better than I expected.
-Louisville is a very good team, but it was sloppy both ways.
-Montrezl Harrell is one of the cockiest players in basketball, but he's also a great player.
-Obviously we need to stay out of foul trouble, that hurt our 4/5 a lot.
-Not too worried about Mathieu like some of you seem to be.
-I really thought Buggs looked good the small amount of time he was playing.

Overall, kind of the game I expected, think we could have easily won or kept it close, also could've easily lost by 20+.

Yes, we will be fine. We came in a projected bubble team, and we played a top 10 squad that was ready to go defensively. It will be a good loss and hopefully make our guys better.

Waaay more positives than negatives. So much of what ailed us we can fix, somewhat easily and I doubt we shoot that poorly too often.
Yes, Mo was frustrating but if we give out 3 stars of the game he is clearly one of them. Mason was very impressive for game one. He could be
a very nice heady player going forward. Andre Hollins played a nice game without much help. I liked his leadership on the court. His performance was encouraging to me. Unfortunately we now hardly have any adversity provided by the other team to learn from until after Christmas.

Absolutely Louisville played harder than we did. Clearly. We really won't know if we understand the difference that makes until the Big Ten. I'm guessing it was the biggest factor in the secret scrimmage too. You can coast to open versus UMD and coast to close the game out vs those types of non conference teams. We needed some games like tonite in late Nov., early, mid Dec. where you gotta grind 40 minutes or get embarrassed.
Yes, we battled but Louisville played harder. That is something you learn. Everybody thinks thinks they play hard until they play a team like Louisville.

Bakary and Buggs were encouraging. They could get half EE's minutes and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. We know what EE brings. It won't change vs most quality teams. Bakary will get better 100% and Buggs certainly has flashes...are they so far apart because he doesn't play? He makes mistakes...they all did but did Buggs play in the 2nd half?

Again, mostly a very encouraging night.

60's Guy said:
You can coast to open versus UMD and coast to close the game out vs those types of non conference teams. We needed some games like tonite in late Nov., early, mid Dec. where you gotta grind 40 minutes or get embarrassed.

Unfortunately, other than last night, the Gophers' only chance at meaningful basketball prior to the Big Ten season is Nov. 26-Dec. 2 (NIT, Wake Forest). They'll play no truly meaningful games from Dec. 3-30. That's a long time to go untested leading directly into the Big Ten season. 6 straight games where the opponent is likely to offer little resistance.

Small sample but I thought he looked good at PF yesterday, I still think he's got a lot of potential, just not that many 6-9 guys with his scoring ability, he's starting to add a little toughness to his game.

Unfortunately, other than last night, the Gophers' only chance at meaningful basketball prior to the Big Ten season is Nov. 26-Dec. 2 (NIT, Wake Forest). They'll play no truly meaningful games from Dec. 3-30. That's a long time to go untested leading directly into the Big Ten season. 6 straight games where the opponent is likely to offer little resistance.

St John's and hopefully Gonzaga will provide more than enough of a test I would hope, very tough November schedule this year, the St John's game becomes very important.

-Andre looks back to Andre, hopefully he keeps it up.
-Make free throws!!!
-Mason played better than I expected.
-Louisville is a very good team, but it was sloppy both ways.
-Montrezl Harrell is one of the cockiest players in basketball, but he's also a great player.
-Obviously we need to stay out of foul trouble, that hurt our 4/5 a lot.
-Not too worried about Mathieu like some of you seem to be.

Overall, kind of the game I expected, think we could have easily won or kept it close, also could've easily lost by 20+.

Buggs- when he reacts instinctively- he looks great, such as the pass he made for an easy layup. When he thinks- he looks lost, like the in bounds pass he had stolen. He has lots of ability and you can see it in spurts. He did look a little tougher underneath the bucket- he was going up after the ball.

Overall just a rough outing for the squad. When King is not making those set shots we look really deficient at PF because of the rebounding and defense aspect. Mathieu is just not on his game yet. I think this team will be good though and last night will be a learning experience.

Wayne Blackshear - look out for him tonight.

Who thinks Dre Hollins is 100%?

Bump... interesting to look back at what folks expected from Martin. How and why have your thoughts changed?

Mine are the same.

Bump... interesting to look back at what folks expected from Hollins health wise. How and why have your thoughts changed?

Mine are the same.

Top Bottom