***OFFICIAL BEMIDJI STATE AT MINNESOTA EXHIBITION IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Just went to check my tickets for the game time tonight—oops. Looks like we’ll need to wait a generation or so for the Beavers next visit to the Barn.
You must not read the Strib. Nice article this morning on the team, recap of the players.

I liked what I saw from Asuma. He plays within himself with confidence and looked as if could be on the court during crunch time. He seems to have a BIG type body as a FR and should hold his own on D. I never expected him to score a lot but I think he will take his shots when its there to the point that the other team will not ignore him as a scoring threat. Really looking forward to watching him progress.

Rigsby is another guy who will contribute. Boy he sure has a vertical! Betts has matured physically but is still has a long way to go. Looking forward to see what Patterson and Odukale will bring. FM is a load and will be fine on the boards but he may have trouble defending the BIG's inside.
Agree with all this. Very impressed with Asuma. Good that Betts got the start and so many minutes. Fox looked healthy. Garcia looked like he could have taken over the game at any time had they needed him to. HOWEVER, worried about rebounding, perimeter defense (again), and free throw shooting. We’ll see…

Edmonds impressed me. He has good size and athleticism. I don't think Mitchell is athletic enough, neither have great offensive skills. Rigsby and Asuma were the others that are going to contribute.

Edmonds impressed me. He has good size and athleticism. I don't think Mitchell is athletic enough, neither have great offensive skills. Rigsby and Asuma were the others that are going to contribute.
Just from the stat sheet it looks good other than the glaring deficiency in free throw shooting. Fox, at 2-9, contributed almost half the missed FTs and I'm not worried he will be that bad. He proved last year in conference games he can shoot 50-60%.

A small rebounding loss doesn't look good given the competition, especially offensive rebounds.

For those who could actually view the game, any impressions on Betts? He was 3-6 from the field with no three attempts. How did he get his buckets? Any thoughts on whether he will still be in the rotation when the injured three (plus Peterson??) get back?

Just from the stat sheet it looks good other than the glaring deficiency in free throw shooting. Fox, at 2-9, contributed almost half the missed FTs and I'm not worried he will be that bad. He proved last year in conference games he can shoot 50-60%.

A small rebounding loss doesn't look good given the competition, especially offensive rebounds.

For those who could actually view the game, any impressions on Betts? He was 3-6 from the field with no three attempts. How did he get his buckets? Any thoughts on whether he will still be in the rotation when the injured three (plus Peterson??) get back?
Betts? I didn't even notice him until the last 5 minutes. He's not someone we should count on to add offense.

I liked what I saw from Asuma. He plays within himself with confidence and looked as if could be on the court during crunch time. He seems to have a BIG type body as a FR and should hold his own on D. I never expected him to score a lot but I think he will take his shots when its there to the point that the other team will not ignore him as a scoring threat. Really looking forward to watching him progress.

Rigsby is another guy who will contribute. Boy he sure has a vertical! Betts has matured physically but is still has a long way to go. Looking forward to see what Patterson and Odukale will bring. FM is a load and will be fine on the boards but he may have trouble defending the BIG's inside.
Rigsby will play. Pretty solid.

Betts still looks NOT ready for prime-time. Sometimes lost in the offense flow.

Betts? I didn't even notice him until the last 5 minutes. He's not someone we should count on to add offense.
IMO Betts has only one reason to get PT this season.
Illinois (and possibly other teams) have two big wings and the Gophers cannot defend that situation with Odukale and four midgets as our only wings.
Betts is 6'8" so he has the height to defend a big wing but might not have the agility required. No one else except Odukale has the combination of size and agility required.

From what I could tell, Betts was decent on D. He did very little on offense, no drives, no outside game, I think was 3 for 3 around the hoop and only had one board. He will likely get a good amount of minutes as his skill set and size is unique guarding the 3 and 4. Especially with Cochrane sidelined. Its a long season but he has a long ways to go to be a force.

Betts first bucket was a dunk and one of his other ones was a baby hook if I remember correctly. Don’t recall his other made basket.
Edit: last bucket was a lay up about 30 seconds after his hook shot.

Last edited:

Is Betts a project? 🤔

Ju
Is Betts a project? 🤔
IMO he is just competing against more experienced teammates as a four this season and we need him as a three.
Next season and beyond he will be competing against less experienced teammates for playing time at his best position as a four.

How about Grove, didn't show much offensively but the kid has potential. Good size, runs the floor, moves well, I can see him getting some floor time come February. Work in progrèss but there is a lot to work with, definitely not a stiff.

Shot a good percentage (50%) on 3's, albeit a couple were banks.
That being said, in all the games last year they only hit higher than 50% once on 3's and did hit 50% in only two games.
Mitchell and Asuma both collected 8 assists.
Get Patterson and Odukale on the court and maybe an early return for Cochran and see how things look.

The worst thing about the transfer portal is it takes me a good 10 games to remember who everyone is. Reading through this thread, I'm having to reference the roster details to remember who each player is and where they came from.

Top Bottom