Official 2024 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

His highlights are nice. He’s 180 but he’s short so fairly well put together, he runs very tough and breaks a lot of tackles.
Hart’s coach, who is a pretty straight up guy, says Savion is currently at 195 and should play in college at 205-15.

Given that he has offers from Georgetown and St Thomas it certainly wouldn’t seem like that’s the issue.

Hart may not be quite as tall as listed but he certainly is not 5’7”. I have never seen a HS runner in Minnesota move better laterally, or break more tackles.
He does honestly look like 5’7”, but I don’t think height is a big deal if you have the athleticism and are well put together. Sproles was 5’6” Maurice Jones Drew was 5’7”. As others have said I don’t think Hart has elite speed, but looks fast enough to be effective as a P5 player.

He does honestly look like 5’7”, but I don’t think height is a big deal if you have the athleticism and are well put together. Sproles was 5’6” Maurice Jones Drew was 5’7”. As others have said I don’t think Hart has elite speed, but looks fast enough to be effective as a P5 player.
I'll give this a rest pretty soon, but ... there is some reason Savion isn't getting offers from the major D1 schools. I doubt it is academics (he was offered by Georgetown and per his X account carries a 3.7 GPA).

Also it isn't his height. 247 and On3 which have had the same data up for a long time list him at 5'9" 180. Rivals has him at 5'11" 190. Prep RedZone has him at 6'0" and 190. Hart's X account, and a recent interview with his coach at STA, both have hime at 5'11" 197. I've watched a few of Hart's senior year highlight films. If Savion Hart is 5'7", then the teams he's playing against--some of the largest schools in the state--have DL and LBs that range from 5'5" to 5'7".

I like to dig, so I took a look at some of his recruiting photos. Hart is about an inch to maybe an inch and a half shorter than Kirk Ferentz (who is currently supposed to be 6'1"). Hart appears to be the same height as Ladell Betts (who is 5'11"). Hart "towers" over UST coach Glen Caruso (an OL in college) by at least 2 inches. Based on comparables, Hart is at least 5'10 and maybe closer to 5'11". He is at least 2 inches taller than Mo.

Hart's X account also self-lists himself as a "Track All American" and gives times of 4.45 in the 40 and 11.0 in the 100 meter. Don't know where this comes from, but if true, he is lot faster than Mo. And highlights of recent games, in which Hart pulls away from defenders, indicates that he is actually pretty darn fast. Or the vast majority of defensive players in the Minnesota HS league are shockingly slow.

The problem is that, despite how he has grown and how he has absolutely dominated teams all year, he is only ranked 13th in the state by 247 at a mid 3* number. Kind of a mystery. Given the goofy offers the Gophers give out to some HS players who will never even come close to seeing the field (lack of drive to improve), and given how PJ likes to burn through 4-5 RBs each season, it's kind of hard to believe Hart wasn't an attractive candidate. PJ never gave Evan Hull a shot. And Emmett Johnson, who is carving a pretty good career at Nebraska, never got much of a look either. Savion Hart is probably the next MN HS running back with prodigious numbers (and talent?) who'll have to make his name elsewhere. So it goes.

Go Gophers. Go Savion Hart.

Last edited:

Hart is at least 5'10". And he is quite fast. In his junior year he ran the 100m, 200m, 4 x100 relay, and the 4 x 200 relay for STA. Also did high jump and long jump. His best junior year 100m was 11.17. This might not be truly "elite" speed, but he is faster than many college RBs. A lot faster than Mo, for instance. Hart pulls away from defenders. He doesn't get caught from behind.

I'll give this a rest pretty soon, but ... there is some reason Savion isn't getting offers from the major D1 schools. I doubt it is academics (he was offered by Georgetown and per his X account carries a 3.7 GPA).

Also it isn't his height. 247 and On3 which have had the same data up for a long time list him at 5'9" 180. Rivals has him at 5'11" 190. Prep RedZone has him at 6'0" and 190. Hart's X account, and a recent interview with his coach at STA, both have hime at 5'11" 197. I've watched a few of Hart's senior year highlight films. If Savion Hart is 5'7", then the teams he's playing against--some of the largest schools in the state--have DL and LBs that range from 5'5" to 5'7".

I like to dig, so I took a look at some of his recruiting photos. Hart is about an inch to maybe an inch and a half shorter than Kirk Ferentz (who is currently supposed to be 6'1"). Hart appears to be the same height as Ladell Betts (who is 5'11"). Hart "towers" over UST coach Glen Caruso (an OL in college) by at least 2 inches. Based on comparables, Hart is at least 5'10 and maybe closer to 5'11". He is 2 to 3 inches taller than Mo.

Hart's X account also self-lists himself as a "Track All American" and gives times of 4.45 in the 40 and 11.0 in the 100 meter. Don't know where this comes from, but if true, he is lot faster than Mo. And highlights of recent games, in which Hart pulls away from defenders, indicates that he is actually pretty darn fast. Or the vast majority of defensive players in the Minnesota HS league are shockingly slow.

The problem is that, despite how he has grown and how he has absolutely dominated teams all year, he is only ranked 13th in the state by 247 at a mid 3* number. Kind of a mystery. Given the goofy offers the Gophers give out to some HS players who will never even come close to seeing the field (lack of drive to improve), and given how PJ likes to burn through 4-5 RBs each season, it's kind of hard to believe Hart wasn't an attractive candidate. PJ never gave Evan Hull a shot. And Emmett Johnson, who is carving a pretty good career at Nebraska, never got much of a look either. Savion Hart is probably the next MN HS running back with prodigious numbers (and talent?) who'll have to make his name elsewhere. So it goes.

For comparison, Koi Perich has run a 10.89 100 yard dash. Is it possible he's just not fast enough? Could just be a case of the coaching staff feeling like our recruits from out of state are just better than Savion. His best offer is from UND, so it seems a lot of coaches are agreeing on his evaluation.

I like to dig, so I took a look at some of his recruiting photos. Hart is about an inch to maybe an inch and a half shorter than Kirk Ferentz (who is currently supposed to be 6'1"). Hart appears to be the same height as Ladell Betts (who is 5'11"). Hart "towers" over UST coach Glen Caruso (an OL in college) by at least 2 inches. Based on comparables, Hart is at least 5'10 and maybe closer to 5'11". He is at least 2 inches taller than Mo.

You're actually Savion Hart's grandpa, aintch'a?

Hart is at least 5'10". And he is quite fast. In his junior year he ran the 100m, 200m, 4 x100 relay, and the 4 x 200 relay for STA. Also did high jump and long jump. His best junior year 100m was 11.17. This might not be truly "elite" speed, but he is faster than many college RBs. A lot faster than Mo, for instance. Hart pulls away from defenders. He doesn't get caught from behind.
5’10” is like average height, he looks shorter to me than about everyone else in his highlight videos but maybe that’s deceiving.

Hull was good but Mo was better. Emmett Johnson hasn’t done much yet.

Really other than Hull, there haven’t been any RBs I can think of from MN that did much at the fbs level since Mason was here. We all like to see the local guys get a chance, but Fleck is bringing in guys like Mo, Irving and Taylor so not sure what you meant by the head scratching offers.

That said I wouldn’t mind us offering him and am shocked he only has 5 D1 offers.

P

Nobody bats 1000% on recruits, with the most obvious one to my mind was Billy Turner. All-Metro & State OL at Mounds View who went to NDSU and is still cashing NFL checks at 32 - he had zero P5 offers.

Mo, was lightly recruited with his only other P5 offers from Iowa and Kentucky and was 5’9 178 lbs in HS, per his 247 profile

While Fleck’s football acumen can be called into question on several topics, RB recruiting ain’t one of them. Of his three, Mo was the least heralded recruit and ended up B10 back of the year @ All-American, Bucky is a star at Oregon now and will likely play in The League and Taylor, IMO, will break the school rushing record and receive several post season accolades as well. He is an NFL player.

It appears you know the STA coach. So maybe your perspective is biased, Also, bear in mind that projecting where an 18 year old will end up is not an exact science.

Hart has several roads available to him to prove others wrong, including JC. He can use this as an opportunity rather than an obstacle and build some character in the process- I’m sure he’ll survive 😃

Last edited:

P

Nobody bats 1000% on recruits, with the most obvious one to my mind was Billy Turner. All-Metro & State OL at Mounds View who went to NDSU and is still cashing NFL checks at 32 - he had zero P5 offers.

Mo, was lightly recruited with his only other P5 offers from Iowa and Kentucky and was 5’9 178 lbs in HS, per his 247 profile

While Fleck’s football acumen can be called into question on several topics, RB recruiting ain’t one of them. Of his three, Mo was the least heralded recruit and ended up B10 back of the year @ All-American, Bucky is a star at Oregon now and will likely play in The League and Taylor, IMO, will break the school rushing record and receive several post season accolades as well. He is an NFL player.

It appears you know the STA coach. So maybe your perspective is biased, Also, bear in mind that projecting where an 18 year old will end up is not an exact science.

Hart has several roads available to him to prove others wrong, including JC. He can use this as an opportunity rather than an obstacle and build some character in the process- I’m sure he’ll survive 😃
He’ll have offers yet. Surprised Wyoming didn’t offer.

For comparison, Koi Perich has run a 10.89 100 yard dash. Is it possible he's just not fast enough? Could just be a case of the coaching staff feeling like our recruits from out of state are just better than Savion. His best offer is from UND, so it seems a lot of coaches are agreeing on his evaluation.
It might be that Hart is lacking in one or two measurables. He’ll be fine. Will get a free education and play a lot of ball. I think I’ve perhaps gotten too enthralled with his highlight runs, some of which are amazing … time to move on.

Last edited:

5’10” is like average height, he looks shorter to me than about everyone else in his highlight videos but maybe that’s deceiving.

Really other than Hull, there haven’t been any RBs I can think of from MN that did much at the fbs level since Mason was here. We all like to see the local guys get a chance, but Fleck is bringing in guys like Mo, Irving and Taylor so not sure what you meant by the head scratching offers.

That said I wouldn’t mind us offering him and am shocked he only has 5 D1 offers.
“Head scratching” offers didn’t refer to RBs. Other positions. Don’t want to use names.

“Head scratching” offers didn’t refer to RBs. Other positions. Don’t want to use names.
Why? Are you going to hurt people's feelings?

Don't make comments if not willing to back it up.

I'm genuinely curious now. PM me if you don't want to put out there.

I like to follow recruiting and can't think of many 'head scratching' offers. Most recruits have has other P5 offers. A few OL from the surrounding states had 'meh' offer lists but the mantra here has been that we should be able to build a OL from MN, IA, WI, SD, ND kids.

I don't judge 2017 (PJ had like a month to flip that class and smartly (IMO) didn't pull any MN recruits offers) or MN kids as those are camp offers after live evaluations.

It's not that I necessarily think the Gophers should have offered Hart; it just surprises me, given how dominant he's been in high school, that he hasn't attracted more attention or offers.

I have never met him and have no direct connection to him or St. Thomas, but I do have high-school aged kids in a nearby community who hear things, and the impression you get is that he's the kind of kid you pull for. He's as far from the typical St. Thomas Academy background as can be; his family doesn't have it easy financially and a cousin he was very close to is serving time for a murder conviction.

Gophers could use another good receiver. Like 3.5 star. They have this QB coming in. Need another guy to catch.

He reminds me a lot of DajonNewell from Lakeville North back in the day who went to Augustana and had a really great career there; just at the level that he needed to be at.

He reminds me a lot of DajonNewell from Lakeville North back in the day who went to Augustana and had a really great career there; just at the level that he needed to be at.
Dajon Newell, Raja Nelson, Phoenix Sproles are all good comparisons, I feel like those that have watched Hart play see a better RB than those players. Maybe that’s the rub, maybe schools would want to see a more obvious transition to the slot if RB doesn’t pan out

For 2025, so far they only offered one in-stat guy. They will have 2025 Eli Johnson in for unofficial visit, he is from River Falls.

Lots of folks wondering why in-state players are not getting offered, yet still recognizing how they may not have all the measurables. With the transfer portal, the thought may be a prove it at the next level first. There are other HS players around the country who do have the measurables. In the past you didn't see many transfers up from NDSU, Western Michigan etc. because of having to sit and they tended to remain with the school they committed to. With the transfer portal as it exists now, transfers up from FCS and MAC schools are quite common.

With practice starting for the All American Bowl just had some write ups for some of the guys when they showed up and did their measurables.

-- Hailing from Kindred (N.D..), Minnesota-bound Top247 defensive lineman Riley Sunram did not disappoint at check-in, measuring 6-4, 275 with an arm number a hair shy of 34 inches and big ol' paws at 10 inches.

Last edited:

Dajon Newell, Raja Nelson, Phoenix Sproles are all good comparisons, I feel like those that have watched Hart play see a better RB than those players. Maybe that’s the rub, maybe schools would want to see a more obvious transition to the slot if RB doesn’t pan out
It's surprising to me that this is still an issue in the post-portal world. IMO, if you have a scholarship available and you think a player MIGHT produce, offer him and move on the next year if you have to. We always end up giving If Hart is clearly worse than the other two RBs we brought in, he'll likely know it and move on. If he isn't, one of them will likely move on.

Top Bottom