Official 2024 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Based on Carroll's comments in the Ryan Burns article, it sounds like Callahan might have him pegged as a potential new Schmitz at the C position. We would all take that.
Yup, beef him up for the first three years to 6' 4.5", 325 lbs. He has no pressure to contribute immediately and will take the time to get it all dialed in.

Another target commits in a few minutes. Us, Pitt, and Oregon… a pretty wild top 3 honestly

Another target commits in a few minutes. Us, Pitt, and Oregon… a pretty wild top 3 honestly

Seems like all signs point to Oregon. I would be surprised if the gophers took another RB in this class as they already have two committed.

Seems like all signs point to Oregon. I would be surprised if the gophers took another RB in this class as they already have two committed.
Agreed, I’d just be curious to hear more about this situation after everyone has signed.

The Gophers already have Ohifame Ijeboi who has a similar profile. Da-Jaun Riggs is rated a little higher.

Looks like Bronaugh is still listed as a top target and we are the only “warm” team for him after he visited Kansas a couple weeks ago. We’d have 6 on scholarship next year if a third is taken, which doesn’t sound too crazy I guess.

The Gophers already have Ohifame Ijeboi who has a similar profile. Da-Jaun Riggs is rated a little higher.
According to who is this Riggs guy rated higher? Never understood it. Always remember Barry Sanders had one D1 offer. Wonder what he was rated?

Looks like Bronaugh is still listed as a top target and we are the only “warm” team for him after he visited Kansas a couple weeks ago. We’d have 6 on scholarship next year if a third is taken, which doesn’t sound too crazy I guess.
There are never enough RB. The Gophers have to constantly restock. Ky Thomas and Mar'Kiese Irving left for the Transfer Portal. Injuries are a wild card.

Last edited:

So I thought Ijeboi took the scholarship that could have gone to Riggs. We might have seen the writing on the wall with Riggs when he didn't commit on his visit or we simply liked Ijeboi as much and took his commitment during that next big visit weekend. Well, maybe it's possible we still would have taken Riggs given this odd article from Rivals: https://n.rivals.com/news/midwest-spotlight-five-prospects-on-flip-watch

"Here is the part with respect to Jaydon Wright for those that don't want to click:

Minnesota has a strong history of finding running backs that fit its system under coach PJ Fleck. The Gophers did it again quietly in February with Illinois running back

Jaydon Wright
. The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder has a reported 4.54 40-yard dash time.

That mix of size and speed will not go unnoticed the entire cycle. I’m expecting other programs to come calling for the Bishop McNamara standout. The question is if Wright will listen to the coaches fighting for his signature or stick with the Gophers."

I really don't get putting a guy on "flip watch" without mentioning other schools who are actually trying to flip the kid and having some inclination of how he's responded to those schools. Most good players will continue to receive inquiries from other schools up to signing day.

So I thought Ijeboi took the scholarship that could have gone to Riggs. We might have seen the writing on the wall with Riggs when he didn't commit on his visit or we simply liked Ijeboi as much and took his commitment during that next big visit weekend. Well, maybe it's possible we still would have taken Riggs given this odd article from Rivals: https://n.rivals.com/news/midwest-spotlight-five-prospects-on-flip-watch

"Here is the part with respect to Jaydon Wright for those that don't want to click:

Minnesota has a strong history of finding running backs that fit its system under coach PJ Fleck. The Gophers did it again quietly in February with Illinois running back

Jaydon Wright
. The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder has a reported 4.54 40-yard dash time.

That mix of size and speed will not go unnoticed the entire cycle. I’m expecting other programs to come calling for the Bishop McNamara standout. The question is if Wright will listen to the coaches fighting for his signature or stick with the Gophers."

I really don't get putting a guy on "flip watch" without mentioning other schools who are actually trying to flip the kid and having some inclination of how he's responded to those schools. Most good players will continue to receive inquiries from other schools up to signing day.
That whole article has a “click farm” feel. None of the prospects have a true list of schools pushing to flip them. Most of it is just saying they’re good players and then going on to slightly disrespect the school or how the kid committed to said school.

Id be more worried if other schools didn’t want our commits. I didn’t know about his reported 40 time so if this article did anything it just made me more stoked to have him committed

That whole article has a “click farm” feel. None of the prospects have a true list of schools pushing to flip them. Most of it is just saying they’re good players and then going on to slightly disrespect the school or how the kid committed to said school.

Id be more worried if other schools didn’t want our commits. I didn’t know about his reported 40 time so if this article did anything it just made me more stoked to have him committed
This. All click bait and fodder for discussion boards, nothing else

I like the Jaydon Wright RB commitment. We haven’t had a 230 lb RB in a long time, and now (subject to signing) we’ve got one with wheels as well. If he matures as expected, he should have a meaningful role, perhaps early in his career.

I like the Jaydon Wright RB commitment. We haven’t had a 230 lb RB in a long time, and now (subject to signing) we’ve got one with wheels as well. If he matures as expected, he should have a meaningful role, perhaps early in his career.
Next Slash and Bash?

He picked his commitment wisely. He will be in a Boye Mafe trajectory in player development. We'll see him in year two or three. The important thing is to keep him as a Gopher.

Per 247:

NO. 5 KOI PERICH, DB (MINNESOTA COMMIT)​

Iowa safety Cooper Dejean is already creating plenty of buzz inside NFL Draft circles for his insane testing numbers. So it shouldn't come as any surprise that the next DeJean is on this year's list.

OK, only time will tell if Koi Perich actually emerges as an All-Big Ten defender like DeJean. But the profiles of the two coming out of high school are nearly identical, as both are from small towns of fewer than 2,500 people and are elite multi-sport athletes who scored more than 1,000 career points on the hardwood during their prep careers, while also impacting the game in a variety of different ways on Friday nights.

Perich's posterizing dunks and 11-foot-1 running jump were going to be enough to warrant him a spot high on this year's list, but arguably his most impressive feat off the football field came this past spring when he posted a 10.89-second effort in the 100-meter dash despite running in frigid 40-degree Minnesota temperatures. Perich, who is committed to play for the in-state Gophers, adds that he's close to power cleaning 315 pounds. Freaky.

"I'm just an all-around athlete," Perich said. "I like to think that I'm as strong as all of the linemen up here and I like to think that I'm faster than everyone."

Perich totaled 75 tackles and three interceptions as a junior at Esko (Minn.) Lincoln Secondary. He also racked up 1,166 yards of offense and 20 touchdowns while scoring five times via the return game.

Go Gophers!!

Per 247:

NO. 5 KOI PERICH, DB (MINNESOTA COMMIT)​

Iowa safety Cooper Dejean is already creating plenty of buzz inside NFL Draft circles for his insane testing numbers. So it shouldn't come as any surprise that the next DeJean is on this year's list.

OK, only time will tell if Koi Perich actually emerges as an All-Big Ten defender like DeJean. But the profiles of the two coming out of high school are nearly identical, as both are from small towns of fewer than 2,500 people and are elite multi-sport athletes who scored more than 1,000 career points on the hardwood during their prep careers, while also impacting the game in a variety of different ways on Friday nights.

Perich's posterizing dunks and 11-foot-1 running jump were going to be enough to warrant him a spot high on this year's list, but arguably his most impressive feat off the football field came this past spring when he posted a 10.89-second effort in the 100-meter dash despite running in frigid 40-degree Minnesota temperatures. Perich, who is committed to play for the in-state Gophers, adds that he's close to power cleaning 315 pounds. Freaky.

"I'm just an all-around athlete," Perich said. "I like to think that I'm as strong as all of the linemen up here and I like to think that I'm faster than everyone."

Perich totaled 75 tackles and three interceptions as a junior at Esko (Minn.) Lincoln Secondary. He also racked up 1,166 yards of offense and 20 touchdowns while scoring five times via the return game.

Go Gophers!!
Perich breaths rare air. Greatly excited about his commitment.

He picked his commitment wisely. He will be in a Boye Mafe trajectory in player development. We'll see him in year two or three. The important thing is to keep him as a Gopher.
I like him more on defense

Was there any recruits at the game last night? I know a lot of MN highschool games were played last night, was just curious!

Gophers top football recruit Koi Perich delivers three TDs in Esko's season opener​

Esko's Koi Perich, the top recruit in Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck's 2024 class, has been so spectacular in his career that scoring three touchdowns in his team's season opener last week seemed like a typical Perich performance to his coach.

Perich had two rushing touchdowns and a 40-yard punt return for a TD in Esko's 63-6 win at Duluth East last Thursday. His second game is Friday vs. Proctor at home.

"It's funny because you kind of just expect that from him," Esko coach Scott Arntson told the Star Tribune this week. "You expect him to do those types of things because we've now seen it for three years. He is who he is. He's a pretty dynamic football player."

The 6-1, 195-pound four-star safety and running back is ranked the No. 1 player in Minnesota's 2024 class by 247Sports.com, ranked just ahead of Rogers defensive end Wyatt Gilmore, who will play for Oklahoma.

Fleck landed seven of the top nine seniors in Minnesota this year. But the Gophers beat out several Big Ten schools for Perich, who also had scholarship offers from Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Wisconsin.

Last season, Perich recorded 75 tackles, three interceptions and recovered four fumbles for Esko. He also displayed his versatility with nearly 1,200 yards rushing and receiving combined. His 25 total touchdowns included five return TDs on punts and kickoffs.

The future Gopher can make an impact anywhere on the field, but Perich is known for delivering some menacing tackles.

"Defensively, he really doesn't come off the field," Arntson said. "He's very physical and he's very smart. He's bringing everything he has when he comes to hit you. He just explodes into people. Even when it doesn't seem like he's hitting you very hard people tend to go flying."

Go Gophers!!

P.J. and crew will have a number of 2025 players at the game. The two higher rated guys are from Wisconsin, Tight End Jackson Accuardi and Tackle Griffen Rousseau. Others are Tackle Darrin Strey from Michigan and wide receiver A.J. Johnson from Indiana.

Several more high school players will be at the game. QB Zach Lawerence and LB Chris Catalano

Top Bottom