Official 2023 Roster Movement Thread - Who's In and Who's Out?

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Transfers In: 11
Corey Crooms - WR - Western Michigan
Ryan Selig - LB - Western Michigan
Elijah Spencer - WR - Charlotte
Jack Henderson - DB - SLU
Chris Collins - LB - North Carolina
Sean Tyler - RB - Western Michigan
David Kemp - K - Memphis (walk on)
Rowan Zolman - DB/LB - Miami OH
Tre'Von Jones - DB - Elon
Craig McDonald - DB - Auburn
Tyler Bride - DB - Georgia Southern

Transfers Out: 19
Jalen Glaze - DB - Florida A&M
Gage Keys - DL - Kansas
Steven Ortiz - DB - UMASS
Cameron James - OL - Jackson State
Austin Booker - DL - Kansas
Michael Dixon - DB - Rutgers
Braelen Oliver - LB - Georgia Tech
Ike White - WR - Charlotte
Austin Sullivan - LS - TBD
Lorenza Surgers - DL - TBD
Beanie Bishop - DB - Louisville
Donald Willis - LB - Western Michigan
Trey Potts - RB - Penn State
Michael Brown Stephens - WR - South Florida
Dylan Wright - WR - TCU
Trill Carter - DL - Texas
Jacob Knuth - QB - Kansas State
Miles Fleming - DB - Ohio
Jacob Schuster - DL - TBD

Leaving Early For NFL Draft or Retiring: 2
Ryan Stapp - DB - Retiring
Trey Bixby - DL - Retiring

Out of Eligibility: 12
Terrell Smith - CB
Tanner Morgan - QB
John Michael Schmitz - C
Chuck Filiaga - OG
Axel Ruschmeyer - OG
Matthew Trickett - K
Samuel Pickerign - TE
Thomas Rush - DE
Jordan Howden - S
Mariano Sori-Marin - LB
Clay Geary - WR
Mohamed Ibrahim - RB

Last edited:

Was CRAB's return officially announced? I didn't see him in the senior day festivities, but I didn't think he was a lock to return.

We aren't loaded but we could be the dark horse favorites in the West. Be nice for us if our tight end came back. Curious why Evans didn't get some carries the last two weeks? Did he play 4 games or one? I think they got some O-line guys in the wings? Surprise pass rusher would be a welcome sight.

Was CRAB's return officially announced? I didn't see him in the senior day festivities, but I didn't think he was a lock to return.
The “U” said they would apply, and that’s step one.
Crab stated that he would return, that is step 2.
The NCAA must return a favorable ruling to grant Crab an additional year. That’s a toss-up with the NCAA. Likely, but never 100%.

Did this thread last year and it was well received so figured I would get a jump on getting it setup now for the 2023 season. Will include expired eligibility, leaving early for the pros and transfers in and out. Basing eligibility off of Gophersports.com.

Transfers In:

Transfers Out:

Leaving Early For NFL Draft:

Returning with Medical Waiver: 1

Chris Autman-Bell

Out of Eligibility: 12
Terrell Smith
Tanner Morgan
John Michael Schmitz
Chuck Filiaga
Axel Ruschmeyer
Matthew Trickett
Samuel Pickerign
Thomas Rush
Jordan Howden
Marioan Sori-Marin
Clay Geary
Mohamed Ibrahim
Players like Howden and Smith even rush to some extent turned out to develop great. Sucks to lose JMS but also had a great career

The “U” said they would apply, and that’s step one.
Crab stated that he would return, that is step 2.
The NCAA must return a favorable ruling to grant Crab an additional year. That’s a toss-up with the NCAA. Likely, but never 100%.
Fleck mentioned in one of his pressers that he was confident they would get an extra year for CRAB but not a done deal. Added a note to the main post to reflect that fact. Also added Glaze as a possible transfer due to him not being on the official roster anymore.

We aren't loaded but we could be the dark horse favorites in the West. Be nice for us if our tight end came back. Curious why Evans didn't get some carries the last two weeks? Did he play 4 games or one? I think they got some O-line guys in the wings? Surprise pass rusher would be a welcome sight.
Have you seen our schedule?!? 6-6 is in play...

A good bit of leadership on the defensive side to replace.

We never got pressure on qb and besides JMS the o line was just okay.
Will never understand the unhappiness with this line. Elite center, left tackle was great. Both guards were rarely heard from and right tackle improved as the season went on. They played nearly every snap as a unit and blocked for a historically good running season.

Were they the best I’ve ever seen? No. But they were good.

Have you seen our schedule?!? 6-6 is in play...
The schedule is pretty much the same as this year with one extra tough game in conference.
Beat Purdue and Iowa but lose to Rutgers this year and we win the west.
And basically that’s the schedule next year.

6-6 is always in play.
Team will win 4
Team will lose 2
Anything between 4-10 is possible.
I would bank on 7-8.

Will never understand the unhappiness with this line. Elite center, left tackle was great. Both guards were rarely heard from and right tackle improved as the season went on. They played nearly every snap as a unit and blocked for a historically good running season.

Were they the best I’ve ever seen? No. But they were good.

Agreed. Although they had some rough games, they were pretty darn good for a line featuring players who hadn't played together very long. The amount of rushing yards gained by the team speaks for itself and they yielded the second lowest number of sacks (tied with Michigan) in the conference. The sack number could be more of a function of passing less often than any other team in the conference though.

The schedule is pretty much the same as this year with one extra tough game in conference.
Beat Purdue and Iowa but lose to Rutgers this year and we win the west.
And basically that’s the schedule next year.

6-6 is always in play.
Team will win 4
Team will lose 2
Anything between 4-10 is possible.
I would bank on 7-8.

We also have to play at North Carolina. That's the toughest non-conference draw we've had in some years. Furthermore, we can't depend upon next year's Michigan State team being as weak as it was this season.

We also have to play at North Carolina. That's the toughest non-conference draw we've had in some years. Furthermore, we can't depend upon next year's Michigan State team being as weak as it was this season.
North Carolina doesn’t impact the big ten west

If Minnesota can’t go 7-2 against next years big ten west schedule I won’t be heartbroken. If we go 6-3 and sweep the west, it probably turns out okay.

The thing about this year is that the schedule set up to win the west and also make some errors in doing it. Next year we actually would have to be good

Oof. Did not realize Filigia was a one and done.
Nate Boe came in for him at some points, when Chuck was having some bad play.

I would assume he (Boe) is going to be either the starting center, or one of the starting guards.

All three interior spots up for grabs!

Nate Boe came in for him at some points, when Chuck was having some bad play.

I would assume he (Boe) is going to be either the starting center, or one of the starting guards.

All three interior spots up for grabs!
Carroll was much better the second half of the season. Wonder if he might be a candidate to shift to RG and slot Martes Lewis or Guedet at RT.

Carroll was much better the second half of the season. Wonder if he might be a candidate to shift to RG and slot Martes Lewis or Guedet at RT.
Lewis came in for Ersery at LT, and did a fine job in spot duty.

Maybe they will try him at LG?

Guedet has been around the program a lonnng time. I just feel guys like that, there's a reason they don't crack the lineup. But that's also a guess.

We have Guedet, Boe, Shaw and Lewis to battle for the open few spots on the line. That's without factoring in Tyler Cooper, Jackson Ruschmeyer or any of the other young guys - or potential portal pieces.

Top Bottom