Official 2022 Roster Status - Who is Returning and who is Leaving

As a full-time student? No, probably not, and medical school would be harder to work out than law school I would think. But there are courses you could take to qualify as being a student and begin working toward an advanced degree.
Can they take classes in Summer School and take electives and a minimum course load to qualify as a full-time student? What about classes that needed to be taken in sequence and are only offered on consecutive terms?

Can they take classes in Summer School and take electives and a minimum course load to qualify as a full-time student? What about classes that needed to be taken in sequence and are only offered on consecutive terms?
As for graduate programs, it really depends upon the program (and the school). I know some of this is changing to give students more flexibility in terms of scheduling and going FT/PT, but most graduate programs begin with the same set of core classes for everyone. You would need to finish those building blocks before you had much flexibility.

Also, just as an FYI. . .

NCAA Rules for Eligibility:

To maintain eligibility for competition and athletic financial aid, each student-athlete must meet several institutional, conference, and NCAA requirements. In general, student athletes must:

• Be enrolled and attending as a full-time student each semester (12+ credits for undergraduate; 9 credits + for graduate)
  • Each semester, you must earn 6 credits of coursework that apply to graduation in your designated academic program (Football Only: nine hours completed during the Fall term)
  • Earn a minimum of 24 hours of coursework in your academic program during the first year in order to be eligible to compete the next year
  • Earn at least 18 hours in your major every academic year, (fall and spring semesters)
  • Declare a major before the third year or 5th semester of your enrollment in college
  • Make sure all of your courses are applicable toward your academic degree program in order to be used for eligibility purposes
  • Beginning with your 3rd semester of enrollment, you must meet GPA requirements as indicated below. Your GPA will be checked at the beginning of each term. Beginning with your 5th semester of enrollment, you must meet percentage-of-degree requirements as noted in the chart below as well.

The open portal will have to be closed as this is just the beginning of chaos - it will get worse every year. Some rules are needed for order and stability and the sitting-out-a-year rule was a good one for the top division in college football. Money, of course is the root of all evil, as usual, since it dominates Division 1A (which is what it should be called).

The open portal will have to be closed as this is just the beginning of chaos - it will get worse every year. Some rules are needed for order and stability and the sitting-out-a-year rule was a good one for the top division in college football. Money, of course is the root of all evil, as usual, since it dominates Division 1A (which is what it should be called).
FWIW- the correct verbiage for the verse is The Love Money vs. Money

I actually don't think it'll get worse every year. I think the most chaotic it will be is right now. The extra COVID year really did a number on scholarship counts, depth charts, recruiting, etc. I think it's a permanent part of the college football landscape, but in 5 years, it'll be more settled as the last players with a free COVID year graduate.

I think the portal will work itself out. With something like 60% of players still sitting in limbo, I have a feeling many will have 'opted' themselves out of their college football careers. That will make others think twice moving forward.

Sure, you can take classes in the summer and you might have to be creative to maintain necessary credit levels to satisfy eligibility requirements. There are going to be some classes that are required to be taken in a certain order or as foundation for other work. In law school, for example, the first year curiculum is set so that all students take a set of core classes, usually without any electives. These courses build fundamental concepts that carry over to later work and are largely independent of one another. It would be possible to to take those courses over two years instead of one as would a regular full-time law student. Any credit shortcomings could be met by independent study, research at the direction of a professor, etc.

A student-athlete wanting to pursue this type of graduate program would require the cooperation of the school or program they wanted to be in. It would absolutely not be a "typical" post-graduate course load or course progression, but that wasn't the initial question. The original take by GoldenRodents was that it could not be done. I still believe that it could, it would not be the "typical" student experience, but it could be done.

I think the portal will work itself out. With something like 60% of players still sitting in limbo, I have a feeling many will have 'opted' themselves out of their college football careers. That will make others think twice moving forward.
This will be a big key. Hopefully players will get a real view of what the portal is and understand that there are no guarantees they are going to find a good landing spot if they go into it. Just because you may want to transfer, doesn't mean there is going to be a team waiting with open arms to bring you in.

This will be a big key. Hopefully players will get a real view of what the portal is and understand that there are no guarantees they are going to find a good landing spot if they go into it. Just because you may want to transfer, doesn't mean there is going to be a team waiting with open arms to bring you in.
I agree. These things have a way of working themselves out. A little chaotic and confusing early on and things will start to level out. The coaches will also get a lot better about advising and counseling the players about whether or not it's the right move for them.

Honestly, I'm not really sure how anyone jumps into the portal without having their landing spot already lined out ahead of time. I'm almost sure that I wouldn't anyway.

Sure, you can take classes in the summer and you might have to be creative to maintain necessary credit levels to satisfy eligibility requirements. There are going to be some classes that are required to be taken in a certain order or as foundation for other work. In law school, for example, the first year curiculum is set so that all students take a set of core classes, usually without any electives. These courses build fundamental concepts that carry over to later work and are largely independent of one another. It would be possible to to take those courses over two years instead of one as would a regular full-time law student. Any credit shortcomings could be met by independent study, research at the direction of a professor, etc.

A student-athlete wanting to pursue this type of graduate program would require the cooperation of the school or program they wanted to be in. It would absolutely not be a "typical" post-graduate course load or course progression, but that wasn't the initial question. The original take by GoldenRodents was that it could not be done. I still believe that it could, it would not be the "typical" student experience, but it could be done.
Hats off to the Academic Staff! They must be on their toes to make sure they dot the "I"s and cross the "T"s for every player so that the players are on top of their academic endeavors.

Part of the largesse of the Athletic Village is all the resources for the athletes to be successful are under one roof. PJ Fleck is a perfect fit for the football program. He is leading with culture.

The more we hear what is going behind the scene the more impressed we become. The whole culture of engagement and hard work permeates from top to bottom.

The culture and the connectivity of all involved. Wow. PJ Fleck is true to his visionary statement at his first press conference about rebuilding a culture.

This is transformative change on all levels.

Irritated that Ky Thomas is leaving us! I had a hunch when Trey Potts announced his return. Ky should’ve seen that he could’ve beat Potts in playing time over Potts. Who knows how good or effective Ibrahim will be with his healing. Ky would’ve been 2nd in line in my opinion if not starting. Ky is so much better than Potts.

Hopefully Bucko won’t leave either.

Will there be a National Transfer Portal Support Group? Their motto will be "Be careful what you wish for." Do many regret their moves? It has to be gut-wrenching for players and their families to suddenly go from having your college paid for to zero money for school.

Don’t have anything against guys opting out of bowl games in general, but it is cool to see that even with guys like Mafe deciding to go pro, they still chose to play in the bowl game. Think it speaks a lot about the culture around the team.

Added Ky to the transfer list and moved the four remaining TBD guys to the returning column because it seems very likely that they will be back next season.

More updates - Nhamdi Adim-Madumere to the portal. Combined draft players with eligibility expired players.

Don’t have anything against guys opting out of bowl games in general, but it is cool to see that even with guys like Mafe deciding to go pro, they still chose to play in the bowl game. Think it speaks a lot about the culture around the team.
Don't disagree - but it also helps that once a player like Faalele is playing, the pro scouts are going to be in the stands. And even though there is ample film on everyone these days, nothing like seeing the players live.

Interesting. Not really sure where he was on the depth chart, but feels like another guy leaving too soon.
Instant gratification urge is validated by the transfer portal. He is giving up a chance to develop over time and ease into a great unit with a great coach. Hope, for his sake, he has a good landing spot arranged. Hate to see kids give up a quality education and degree for uncertainty. Suggests to me that guys like Lindenberg, Willis and Finnessy are healthy and ready to be next up.

A lot of the guys who aren’t high upside, or stars or at least established journeymen are transferring their way out of a free college education. Weird.

A lot of the guys who aren’t high upside, or stars or at least established journeymen are transferring their way out of a free college education. Weird.
They wanna play, and I don't begrudge them that. Big-time CFB is a grind. 6 am workouts, film sessions, position meetings, nutrition programs, missing out on school breaks, etc. If they can land a scholarship elsewhere and get more PT -- even at a lower level or less successful FBS program -- it probably makes "the grind" a whole lot easier to swallow.

It does seem there will be plenty of guys left in the portal without offers once the dust settles, and you're right -- for them it probably will have been a mistake to enter. These first couple years are probably the hardest to predict since this is unprecedented.

On our team there are “PJ’s Bible Bangers” who seem untouchable regardless of how they play. Sori-Marin and Morgan the top two examples. They preach the word of PJ and are rewarded for it. Sori-Marin might be my least favorite Gopher of all time he’s just not very good and if I were a linebacker stuck behind him for another year I would probably hit the road, too. I can’t imagine anyone on here didn’t think that we needed to see another quarterback get some playing time last year Morgan was bad. I’ve noticed in quite a few threads that folks say the coaches know who the better players are and the best players are always going to play, that’s very naïve. They know who the best players are but “company men” like the two mentioned above sometimes get run when it’s not deserved. 16 transfers is really kind of hard to wrap my head around, but 5 of them being either QB or LB I can understand more.

Top Bottom