Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Doesnt happen over night. Need to start winning..
If you gave him truth serum instead of Red Bull, its about the money. He has no ties to the state. It is the PJ Fleck show, you need coaches like NW, who played at the school and is invested long term, Frost is the same thing. Iowa, the coach has been invested for decades. Fleck is a used car salesman.

Just like the other 70% top rated MN kids that didn’t drink what Fleck offers. This is not acceptable!

“Hello Houston! We have a problem”
Message to PJ Fleck - It is time for championships!
Certain kids who have desirable choices, we are going to have a hard time keeping them home unless we start winning Big Ten Titles or even better a National Title.

If you gave him truth serum instead of Red Bull, its about the money. He has no ties to the state. It is the PJ Fleck show, you need coaches like NW, who played at the school and is invested long term, Frost is the same thing. Iowa, the coach has been invested for decades. Fleck is a used car salesman.
So you’re saying we need Dungy?

This is probably one of the stupidest conglomeration of words I've ever read in 20+ years of being on GH.

A. So a coach needs to have "ties" to a state to want to stay at a school? I think you'd be surprised how many legendary coaches had nothing to do with the state or the school before they started coaching there. (I'll give you a head start, Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney or Joe Paterno are neither from the state nor went to the universities that they became legends at.)

You know Kirk Ferentz isn't actually from Iowa and didn't even go to school there. Ferentz is 25 years older than PJ and at the other end of his career, so basically you're making some grand prognostication that PJ will leave in the future because...

B. As anyone who has read your drivel for the past couple years knows, the Gophers didn't recruit someone you know, so you basically spend your time on a Minnesota message board trolling and making little passive-aggressive posts about "how NDSU recruits" and taking shots at the Gophers program.

Congrats, bud. This is your "best" work yet. If Fleck is a "used car salesman" I guess his players really love used cars. Most wins in a season in at least 100 years. Finally beat Wisconsin after 14 years of previous coaches failing to do so. Highest GPA in program history. Players involved in the community AND don't get in trouble off the field. Yeah, definitely seems like they're not buying into the culture he has built.

PS. Before you give Scott F-ing Frost as positive example of a "school investing long-term", you might want to check out Nebraska's record since he came on board. Oh, and their AD got forced to "retire" just a few days ago. So yeah...

I could put together a competitive team with the majority being from Minnesota. No sh--, you have to recruit nationally. In the distant past kids would attend SJU instead of the University, because of their record, you have kids at NDSU that had offers with the gophers, TE from Crosby. I think you have more top end players from Minnesota on the Wisconsin team. The point is you have to get these kids to stay home and create a similar atmosphere in Minnesota. With the amount of Red Bull Fleck has drank and being a young coach, he should be getting players from all over.
Maybe if you had a crystal ball and picked exactly who would turn out to be good, then you could field a competitive team with majority MN kids, MAYBE. You really think the majority or Iowa’s players are from Iowa or Wisconsin’s are from Wisconsin? You guys act like there are three or four all Americans leaving the state every year. There are only a handful of guys every five years that end up making a nice impact somewhere else.

Maybe if you had a crystal ball and picked exactly who would turn out to be good, then you could field a competitive team with majority MN kids, MAYBE. You really think the majority or Iowa’s players are from Iowa or Wisconsin’s are from Wisconsin? You guys act like there are three or four all Americans leaving the state every year. There are only a handful of guys every five years that end up making a nice impact somewhere else.
I used those examples of coach/educators, coaches present long term with emotional/physical ties to the state. I like his energy, he has a simple message, he is a simple guy. I just prefer a coach like the NW coach, I think his heart is in the right place, I think he is a stud. Fleck reminds me of Las Vegas lights, his way or the highway.

I have been somewhat surprised and disappointed that Fleck hasn't been able to land more high end talent from Minnesota since he arrived here, especially along the OL. Callahan has proven to be a very good OL coach, and several of their current lineman will play in the NFL.

So far it hasn't burned them and it's not surprising that a kid would want to attend Stanford over Minnesota. But losing kids to Iowa St, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa is bothersome.

I could put together a competitive team with the majority being from Minnesota. No sh--, you have to recruit nationally. In the distant past kids would attend SJU instead of the University, because of their record, you have kids at NDSU that had offers with the gophers, TE from Crosby. I think you have more top end players from Minnesota on the Wisconsin team. The point is you have to get these kids to stay home and create a similar atmosphere in Minnesota. With the amount of Red Bull Fleck has drank and being a young coach, he should be getting players from all over.

Fielding "a competitive team"

But being able to field "a competitive team" with Minnesota kids isn't really the issue. The issue is: what MN lids did Fleck miss on that would be projected as starters, or even backups, for the Gophers this coming year.

I'd like to see your list of those players.

Fielding "a competitive team"

But being able to field "a competitive team" with Minnesota kids isn't really the issue. The issue is: what MN lids did Fleck miss on that would be projected as starters, or even backups, for the Gophers this coming year.

I'd like to see your list of those players.
I know there is a certain QB on top of that list

I feel like that's like me saying "most kids drink Pepsi" because Pepsi is "the choice of a new generation".

I think I'd still be wrong despite the existence of the idiom ;)
I get how you feel, you can't beat the feeling.

I have been somewhat surprised and disappointed that Fleck hasn't been able to land more high end talent from Minnesota since he arrived here, especially along the OL. Callahan has proven to be a very good OL coach, and several of their current lineman will play in the NFL.

So far it hasn't burned them and it's not surprising that a kid would want to attend Stanford over Minnesota. But losing kids to Iowa St, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa is bothersome.
Here’s the funny thing. Carrol, Benhart, Mahlman, Ersery. Pick one.

Ndsu has one kid that had a scholarship offer from gophers. pj tried to flip him shortly after taking the job.

One

PJ has to put a BIG West champion the field in the next two years or he should be made redundant.
It does not matter where the players come from or how many "stars" they have.
What does matter is the conference W/L record and especially wins over WI and IA.

I think Tommy boy and Boomtime are best buds.

Did the Gophers offer - Yes
Did the Gopher Recruit them - Yes
Did the kid elect to go somewhere else - Yes

I really don't get what some of you expect coaches to do in order to retain in-state players if they want to go play somewhere else and have other attractive options available.

The obsession over in-state recruits is just over the top for some of you. Fleck's job is to field the best possible team he can. He does that by going out and recruiting players from all over the country. We would all love it if all the top kids wanted to stay home every year but there is nothing the coaches can do to force them to stay.

In the end it doesn't matter one bit where a kid is from. Highly rated recruits in every state commit to schools in other states every single year.

The pressure should be raised.. the expectations raised. I'd love to win the west but if we are at least in it every year.. I'm cool. I don't expect a naty from the gophers. Just top 15 yearly and I'm happy.

Did the Gophers offer - Yes
Did the Gopher Recruit them - Yes
Did the kid elect to go somewhere else - Yes

I really don't get what some of you expect coaches to do in order to retain in-state players if they want to go play somewhere else and have other attractive options available.

The obsession over in-state recruits is just over the top for some of you. Fleck's job is to field the best possible team he can. He does that by going out and recruiting players from all over the country. We would all love it if all the top kids wanted to stay home every year but there is nothing the coaches can do to force them to stay.

In the end it doesn't matter one bit where a kid is from. Highly rated recruits in every state commit to schools in other states every single year.
I read that post the other way - - as suggesting that our out of state recruit is showing more promise than the MN players some people are despairing that we did not land.

I read that post the other way - - as suggesting that our out of state recruit is showing more promise than the MN players some people are despairing that we did not land.
Lol I meant a very strong case could be made for Ersery.

The pressure should be raised.. the expectations raised. I'd love to win the west but if we are at least in it every year.. I'm cool. I don't expect a naty from the gophers. Just top 15 yearly and I'm happy.
Top 15 yearly is a lofty goal. If Fleck gets top 15 2 out of every five years, he’ll have great job security.

Lol I meant a very strong case could be made for Ersery.
Yeah, my bad. Kind of wiffed on catching your point with the initial post.

But my point still stands that some of our fans are way too obsessed with where a recruit comes from. Shouldn't matter where they are from if they can play and want to be here. :)

Yes, agreed. I think the replying poster may have missed Ersery in there.

Sometimes the kids with the most options (top rated) want to go away to school. Some HS coaches might not like PJ and counsel their top players out. It happens. I want PJ to recruit Minnesota to get the kids WHO WANT TO GO TO THE U. I don’t and won’t measure PJs success by how many top recruits from MN he actually gets. I will measure it by how successful his teams are on the field during his tenure.

You should head over to the basketball forum.

I'll take a Daniel Faalele over each of 'em, every time.

Would it be nice if MN kids wanted to play here? Yeah, it'd be awesome... but I'm over it. They want to go elsewhere, so go.

I'll take Faalele and Bateman and Jacob Knuth and whoever else wants to "Row The Boat."

It's too early to tell on Carroll and Mahlman, and after a very small sample size I'd take Ersery over Benhart.

Overall, I don't care where the recruits are coming from as long as we win. I'm just surprised we haven't been able to land any of the highly rated OL, because Fleck definitely wanted all of them.

Fleck is not for everyone. Minneapolis is not for everyone.
Minnesota (the state) is not for everyone!

Particularly kids who've lived here their whole lives, are eager to try some place new just for the sake of trying some place new, and have a ticket to do that at no cost in many other places .....

Top Bottom