Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I'm not sold on hassert as a gopher. His mom needs to sit him down and say look... "Who hates iowa... I HATE IOWA... I really like white. But he's an east coast guy and I just think in my gut virgina tech gets him... But I think he could be special.

My opinions... That's all they are... Don't want to nor will I argue or get in a pissing match...
VT seems like an odd choice for a wr, but if he wants to stay home it makes sense. Bell would be my first choice at wr.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2022-Football/Visits/

Well, it didn't take long for one to already commit after yesterday! Are they here all today and leave tomorrow?

I'm sure they do this on purpose: mix up the weekend groups so you have guys already committed -- who can sell the crap out of the school, team, etc, -- with the uncommitted guys, to put some pressure on them to commit that weekend!

re: Hasert

I have no idea how good of a player he would be for us, but it always looks bad to lose a Minnesota guy to Iowa or Wisconsin.

Ryan Burns of Gopher Illustrated was on KFAN with Gaard on Sunday. A few notes:
--Gophers coaches have been flying all over the country attending satellite camps.
--had 8 official visitors on campus this week. expect 8 to 12 next week.
--Burns expects the Gophers to have 10 commitments in June (giving them total of 15). Fleck likes to wrap up recruiting early if possible.
--points out that players have been waiting 15 months to have face-to-face visits with coaches
--Alvarez is 6'6" & 255-260. Could grow into an OT, or be a big, athletic TE. Good basketball player, plays AAU for Howard Pulley team. Had a knee injury that might have kept other teams from offering.
--Evans was very productive HS RB in TX. In same mold as former Gophers like Cobb. Will be early enrollee - on campus in January. (Burns adds he still likes Ky Thomas as future contributor at RB).
--briefly mentioned Hasert, the OL from Marshall as someone who has visited campus.
--talked about use of transfer portal. Gophers will use to plug holes - mentioned K, DT and LB as positions that were targeted. Also mentioned the WR Wright.

rest of time was spent talking about the 12-team playoff system. Both Burns and Gaard were in favor. Said late-season games will become even more important if a possible playoff berth is on the line when MN faces WI, for example.

Ryan Burns of Gopher Illustrated was on KFAN with Gaard on Sunday. A few notes:
--Gophers coaches have been flying all over the country attending satellite camps.
--had 8 official visitors on campus this week. expect 8 to 12 next week.
--Burns expects the Gophers to have 10 commitments in June (giving them total of 15). Fleck likes to wrap up recruiting early if possible.
--points out that players have been waiting 15 months to have face-to-face visits with coaches
--Alvarez is 6'6" & 255-260. Could grow into an OT, or be a big, athletic TE. Good basketball player, plays AAU for Howard Pulley team. Had a knee injury that might have kept other teams from offering.
--Evans was very productive HS RB in TX. In same mold as former Gophers like Cobb. Will be early enrollee - on campus in January. (Burns adds he still likes Ky Thomas as future contributor at RB).
--briefly mentioned Hasert, the OL from Marshall as someone who has visited campus.
--talked about use of transfer portal. Gophers will use to plug holes - mentioned K, DT and LB as positions that were targeted. Also mentioned the WR Wright.

rest of time was spent talking about the 12-team playoff system. Both Burns and Gaard were in favor. Said late-season games will become even more important if a possible playoff berth is on the line when MN faces WI, for example.
Gee Son, this was the like the old days for you doing the Sports Huddle! Thanks for all this!

I still think the portal can, and will, be primary place for recruiting each year to some degree. Especially if you can get guys with three years left.

Not just "plugging holes". Although I'm sure that's just a semantical difference to an extent.

Bateman was a late bloomer as far as rankings go and this year we're still way behind on sites doing in person eval's, so not going to worry about low ranked kids
I'm not worried about rankings....

Kinda wondering about what a tweet means when it says big news + shrug emoji.

Bateman was a late bloomer as far as rankings go and this year we're still way behind on sites doing in person eval's, so not going to worry about low ranked kids
Yeah, more than most years I would expect to see a lot of guys get late bumps in their rankings as the sites struggle to play catchup with their evals.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2022-Football/Visits/

Well, it didn't take long for one to already commit after yesterday! Are they here all today and leave tomorrow?

I'm sure they do this on purpose: mix up the weekend groups so you have guys already committed -- who can sell the crap out of the school, team, etc, -- with the uncommitted guys, to put some pressure on them to commit that weekend!
only Zach Evans committed over the weekend?

I don't recall the Gophers ever being this loaded at RB. It will be interesting to see this coming season with one of the most season Offensive Line if the Gophers are going to be more creative with the running game. There is a potential to use three RBs in a single game and not miss a heart beat.

I especially like it in the Fourth Quarter when they ground and pound, tire opponents Defense, and bleed the clock to death.

Last edited:

only Zach Evans committed over the weekend?

I don't recall the Gophers ever being this loaded at RB. It will be interesting to see this coming season with one of the most season Offensive Line if the Gophers are going to be more creative with the running game. There is a potential to use three RBs in a single game and not miss a heart beat.

I especially like it in the Fourth Quarter when they ground and pound, tire to opponents Defense, and bleed the clock to death.
Ummm did you miss the Mason year's :)

At one point we had MB3, Maroney and Russell all in the same backfield. Not sure you can get much more loaded than that.

Love the potential of the guys we have and Evans looks like he could be a good one as well. The reality right now is that we don't know if any of the other RBs could be the guy if Mo were to go down. But the potential in the RB room is very high and it will be exciting to see what some of these guys can do when they get the opportunity. Hopefully they have to wait another full season to truly get that opportunity though as that would mean another full season of Mo carrying that ball. We all know how that goes with him being one of the best in the country.

Ummm did you miss the Mason year's :)

At one point we had MB3, Maroney and Russell all in the same backfield. Not sure you can get much more loaded than that.

Love the potential of the guys we have and Evans looks like he could be a good one as well. The reality right now is that we don't know if any of the other RBs could be the guy if Mo were to go down. But the potential in the RB room is very high and it will be exciting to see what some of these guys can do when they get the opportunity. Hopefully they have to wait another full season to truly get that opportunity though as that would mean another full season of Mo carrying that ball. We all know how that goes with him being one of the best in the country.
That was one loaded backfield.

Hasert going to be a battle with Iowa? Could see Ike White and Krogh committing too. Oh wait, saw Iowa offered Krogh as well, interesting. Hopefully we can beat Iowa for one of them. Looks like they both visit Iowa later this month.
Krogh picking up CBs to Iowa. Numbers wise this would give us an edge for Hasert as Krogh would be the second OT verbal for Iowa. Gophers only have one.

Ike white is going to be fantastic.. little shifty speedster out of the slot... Hope he commits . It will be alot of fun watching him in the years to come
Have we had many players from the Baltimore area? Would be great to build a pipeline out there.

Top Bottom