Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I get all that stuff - I'm just shocked with the "younger generation" that they can still be convinced to go there with how average ND has been the last 10+ years. And I'm Catholic even!

I don't know its kind of weird, I'm 22 and no matter how good or bad ND is i still see them as a power house. I got to go there on a baseball visit, and its very hard to not get hooked in on the history alone. Its just all about the name. If someone were to tell me they were on Miami Hurricanes football team, I'd automatically think they were fast. Point is schools build a brand and it is very hard to break that perception.

Btw does anyone find it nice looking at these kids offers? Granted none of them have committed yet, but its nice to see us going after legit Power 5 kids.

Btw does anyone find it nice looking at these kids offers? Granted none of them have committed yet, but its nice to see us going after legit Power 5 kids.

Noticing that myself. A big difference between that and what we saw with the previous regime. Doesn't mean squat until we win a few battles and see how good these players are...

Recruiting kids with big offers is as valuable as recruiting me. Signing kids with big offers is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noticing that myself. A big difference between that and what we saw with the previous regime. Doesn't mean squat until we win a few battles and see how good these players are...

The previous regime definitely offered and got a few kids with those types of offer lists.

Recruiting kids with big offers is as valuable as recruiting me. Signing kids with big offers is a different story.

Don't diminish your value spoofin

How many out-of-state kids with offer lists like that did we get in the last 6 years?

Oseland, Mayes, Sean Foster before a mutual parting of ways, Elmore, Seth Green if you count him as out of state plus De'Vondre, Tyler Moore and Donovahn Jones had some nice offer lists.

And if you include in-state guys the list expands to Andries, Coughlin, Pirsig, Jeff Jones and to a less extent, Schlueter.

The name Notre Dame is pretty prestigious. The tradition is legendary. The aura is pretty intoxicating. The alumni are pretty powerful! Touchdown Jesus is magical. They were pretty good in 2015 despite a ton of injuries...lost to Clemson and Stanford by two points each and Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. And no, I'm not a Notre Dame fan but I respect them. Not going to dismiss their status.

Their coach is one of the biggest a-holes in the game. I would not put my kid in that guy's hands for 4-5 years. He throws everybody under the bus. Problems are never his fault.

Brad Emons: Northville's Guthrie flips to Gophers

It's been a whirlwind of a week for Northville High linebacker Trenton Guthrie.

The senior literally had his bags packed last Saturday as an early enrollee and was headed to Kalamazoo with all intentions of playing football for the Western Michigan University Broncos.

But the night before when WMU head coach P.J. Fleck, coming off a 13-1 season and Cotton Bowl appearance, got the job at Minnesota, Guthrie's destination changed overnight.

"Due to NCAA rules, they can't call us, but they can text us, so that night after coach Fleck had left for Minnesota, he shot me a quick text asking me to call him," Guthrie said. "So I gave him a quick ring. He was pretty busy, but he offered me there and then started to sell me the program and everything. Then I knew I wanted to be with coach Fleck, like he didn't have to sell me the program. I knew the culture he was going to build there at Minnesota. It's going to be the same culture he built at Western Michigan, which is a very elite culture and I knew I wanted to be a part of it, so I committed right there on the spot."

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/sports/2017/01/13/northvilles-guthrie-flips-gophers/96529412/

Go Gophers!!

CBS: Mock Class: Resetting Minnesota's Board Before Signing Day

Quarterback (2-3)

Fleck inherited early enrollee QB Neil McLaurin, but added Tanner Morgan day one on the job.
He hasn’t had contact with the current staff to-date, but sources inform us that Ryan Glover is still on the staff’s board after being a target from the previous staff and contact will likely pick up in coming days as they decide if they'll grab another QB in the class of not.

Running Back (2-3)

Fleck also inherited Dominik London in the class of 2017. The two spoke early after Fleck was hired and London informs Gopher247 Fleck was a fan of his and will keep him in the fold. Fleck and his staff quickly moved on adding Mohamed Ibrahim after taking over the program.
VT Commit Jalen Holston is the big name to watch; he’s set an official visit to Minnesota and would fill the big back need should Kobe McCrary and Jonathan Femi-Cole decide to move on from the program.
Caleb Huntley is another potential big back should the staff miss with Holston.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...esetting-minnesotas-board-before-signing-day/

Go Gophers!!

I get all that stuff - I'm just shocked with the "younger generation" that they can still be convinced to go there with how average ND has been the last 10+ years. And I'm Catholic even!

At least recently, Notre Dame hasn't been finishing in the top 5 of recruiting or anything. In 2016 it was 15th, 2015 was 13th according to 247 sports.

At least recently, Notre Dame hasn't been finishing in the top 5 of recruiting or anything. In 2016 it was 15th, 2015 was 13th according to 247 sports.

I could really go for being around 15th in recruiting year to year....

Of course, a Notre Dame diploma has no value so it is all about Football. /sarcasm

I can feel some good things coming, hopefully PJF can work some magic on this class in the last few weeks.

I don't know its kind of weird, I'm 22 and no matter how good or bad ND is i still see them as a power house. I got to go there on a baseball visit, and its very hard to not get hooked in on the history alone. Its just all about the name. If someone were to tell me they were on Miami Hurricanes football team, I'd automatically think they were fast. Point is schools build a brand and it is very hard to break that perception.

Except Minnesota.:cry: We were once a national power...

Rudy, is that you?

I think it's interesting that Iowa has now offered both of our DB verbal commits, Trey Creamer first and now Raheem Layne. We're obviously hurting for DB depth, so hopefully we can keep them both (and add a couple more). Seems to be a little bit of dirty pool by the Hawkeyes... wonder if Fleck will take notice of that for the future.

I think it's interesting that Iowa has now offered both of our DB verbal commits, Trey Creamer first and now Raheem Layne. We're obviously hurting for DB depth, so hopefully we can keep them both (and add a couple more). Seems to be a little bit of dirty pool by the Hawkeyes... wonder if Fleck will take notice of that for the future.
Time to flip Espenesa.

Hawks? More like Vultures! [emoji35]

Eating All Americans for breakfast

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I like the kids style, say's he eats all Americans for Breakfast. He must be a Denny's for breakfast fan.

I asked this on one of the other threads which was, quite shockingly, hijacked with the Kaler/Coyle conversation. Does anyone know whether the 28 available scholarships includes either the players facing expulsion and/or suspension. It seems pretty evident Fleck is working on the premise he has a lot of available scholarships right now. That obviously leads a person to conclude those player's scholarships aren't part of that number. Can't wait to see how all these outstanding offers and future visits go. Like most people here, I have a real good feeling the tail end of this class will look pretty good.

I asked this on one of the other threads which was, quite shockingly, hijacked with the Kaler/Coyle conversation. Does anyone know whether the 28 available scholarships includes either the players facing expulsion and/or suspension. It seems pretty evident Fleck is working on the premise he has a lot of available scholarships right now. That obviously leads a person to conclude those player's scholarships aren't part of that number. Can't wait to see how all these outstanding offers and future visits go. Like most people here, I have a real good feeling the tail end of this class will look pretty good.

You can sign 28 every year in theory. 25 in the current year and you can count back three scholarships to the previous year. I'm going to assume that three of the players signing this year are going to be early enrollees to school this winter semester. Likely at least 1 Juco and two high school players from this class that have graduated high school early, and will be available for Spring practice, they do a financial aid process that allows the scholarship to count back a year on 3. This allows for 25 that sign on the February signing day to start school either this summer or fall. I believe the coaching staff is working under the assumption there will be some early graduates that don't get playing time that leave and only use 4 of the 5 years and there will be obviously some attrition from the group of 10 suspended players. Even without knowing the specifics, I believe this new staff is working under the assumption they will sign 28 guys this year.

Top Bottom